"Marked"

compound

This is the first page of a 4 page strip that I wrote and drew, back in 2004 for a local Free Comic Book Day compilation.

1173077559_s8DJ1m7uhG.jpg

The remaining pages contain one instance of graphic sexual content that wouldn't be appropriate for general viewing on the board. I'm linking to the pages, for you to read as discerning adults. It's all tongue in cheek, I assure you (no, not literally!).

If Seldes or any other mod feels it's inappropriate, I leave it to their discretion to delete this thread. Otherwise, click away, if you're interested...

"Marked " page 2

"Marked" page 3

"Marked" page 4

"Marked" soundtrack listing

I think it's sweet, concise, manages to crack out a very vivid and protean idea in a very short span of panels. I like how the breadth of experiences encompasses more than just real historical events, but hypotheticals as well.

But do we really need a music list for a four page comic story? *blink*

Also, I think the characters are remarkably expressive given the basic-lined style of the art.

Edit: One little quibble. I think "cosmic reset button" is a phrase that's become way overused.

Last edited:
What amuses me in the story is the girl the main character talks to at the end.

She looks almost like the chick from Runaways, who I know compound has a fascination for.

And I should have known compound was coming back, Ourchair hasn't posted in a bit.

reggie.jpg

is that Reggie Bannister in the last frame?
I really wish they would make another Phantasm movie :(

She looks almost like the chick from Runaways, who I know compound has a fascination for.

And I should have known compound was coming back, Ourchair hasn't posted in a bit.

Hah! Really?

The first thing I thought when I saw that panel was "That looks exactly like Gert". I didn't know compound had blue balls for her. That's funny.

But do we really need a music list for a four page comic story? *blink*
No, I was being 100% indulgent when I put that in. It was ostensibly a way to plug two local punk bands whose members I was (then) friends with. (Long and not too interesting story.) And to basically reference my own perceived coolness in a none too subtle way. Hey, at least I admit it.

I mulled over whether to include a track listing in the scanned version, and I decided to leave it in, in the interest of preserving the authenticity of the piece.

Also, I think the characters are remarkably expressive given the basic-lined style of the art.
Sweet. Thanks, that means a lot, because it's *exactly* how I'd describe the character work of my fave artists: Steve Rolston (Queen and Country, Mek, Pounded) and David Hahn (Private Beach, Bite Club).

Edit: One little quibble. I think "cosmic reset button" is a phrase that's become way overused.
Fair enough. Nevertheless, I maintain the phrase still has it's uses:

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF111-Reset.jpg

Once more, i'm guilty as charged. Was definitely going for a "Gert type" (think of it, perhaps, as the comic book equivalent of casting the same actress in a different but familiar role, maybe?) But I didn't mean for it to actually BE Gert, obvy.

reggie.jpg

is that Reggie Bannister in the last frame?
:lol:

Much as i'd like to claim that was intentional, the drawing is referenced from an old Philippine history anthology called History of the Burgis.

Latest posts

Back