Marvel Animated Movies Vs DC Animated Movies.

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
These DC animated films are looking a hell of a lot better than Marvel's. I need to check more of them out.

So far I prefer Marvels. Dc's are still good but Marvel's are just more fun.

After reading through Green Lantern: First Flight. Thread I realized most of the posts were Marvel's direct to dvd animated movies vs Dc's. So Instead of having that thread be completely derailed and off topic, I thought I would create this thread for that.

Could a Mod please move the posts from http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11980 that are Marvel vs Dc here?

So this thread is for a nice debate/discussion. Who's do you prefer? Why? What problems do you think they have?

Note : I'm exuding The older DC animated movies f e.g Batman of the future : Return of the joker. From this for 2 reasons :

1) They are actually part of the animated cartoons at the time and we have a Timmverse thread for them (though Superman Doomsday would be ok as its a new one.)
2) I think it's fairer to judge the new ones vs new ones as they started coming out around the same time.

Marvel

• Ultimate Avengers
  • Ultimate Avengers 2
  • The Invincible Iron Man
  • Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme
  • Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
  • Hulk Vs.
  • Thor: Son of Asgard *
  • Planet Hulk*

DC

• Superman: Doomsday
  • Justice League: The New Frontier
  • Batman: Gotham Knight #
  • Wonder Woman*
  • Green Lantern: First Flight*
  • Superman/Batman Public Enemies*
  • Batman*
  • Teen Titans: The Judas Contract*

* = coming soon/Announced
# = Movie tie-in so not sure if it should count but added because if I didn't I know someone would have mentioned it.

I got lists from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Original_Animated_Movies

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Animation#Animated_films

they some info on upcoming ones too if your curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Green Lantern: First Flight.

So far I prefer Marvels. Dc's are still good but Marvel's are just more fun.

Right, well I 100% disagree with you. Neither Superman: Doomsday or Batman: Gotham Knight were as life-changing or entertaining as some of their live-action counterparts (or even Mask of the Phantasm), but they were both far better than the hideously piss-poor pieces of 'animation' I saw from Marvel in recent years. Seriously, watching Ultimate Avengers was like watching a Power Rangers cartoon.

I hadn't read the part where it said that Michael Madsen was playing Kilowog. This is going to be automatically good.

Right, well I 100% disagree with you. Neither Superman: Doomsday or Batman: Gotham Knight were as life-changing or entertaining as some of their live-action counterparts (or even Mask of the Phantasm), but they were both far better than the hideously piss-poor pieces of 'animation' I saw from Marvel in recent years. Seriously, watching Ultimate Avengers was like watching a Power Rangers cartoon.

See I liked the dc ones. E.g I loved Superman Doomsday that you mentioned. However marvel ones e.g Hulk Vs. I enjoyed much much more.

Last edited:

I think the simple fact is that DC is just putting a lot more effort into its animated DTVs in an attempt to create a library of truly good films that happen to be animated to help balance out Marvel's general domination of this generation of live-action movies. Marvel's animated movies are more like tie-ins to their blockbusters.

I think the simple fact is that DC is just putting a lot more effort into its animated DTVs in an attempt to create a library of truly good films that happen to be animated to help balance out Marvel's general domination of this generation of live-action movies. Marvel's animated movies are more like tie-ins to their blockbusters.

Well, to be fair, Gotham Knight was basically a tie-in to a certain Batman blockbuster around at that time and it was amazing, compared to The Invincible Iron Man, which came out a short time before his live-action iteration.

See I liked the dc ones. E.g I loved Superman Doomsday that you mentioned. However marvel ones e.g Hulk Vs. I enjoyed much much more.

Fair enough, I haven't seen Hulk Vs, but are there any other films that are that much better than the DC ones?

Fair enough, I haven't seen Hulk Vs, but are there any other films that are that much better than the DC ones?

I'm not saying they are or are not Much better just that I enjoyed them more. But I absolutely loved "Next avengers" To the point where I wished it had a comic on it. If Marvel were to launch a comic based on that film right now i'd buy everyone I could.

"Ultimate Avengers" You didn't like, Fair enough. I did I loved it. Hulk vs the Avengers with a nice mixture of 616 meets ultimates. I liked it. Sure it could have been bit better but still I prefer it to Justice League - The New Frontier. Which I also loved.

"The Invincible Iron Man" lead up to me liking Iron Man. (Ultimate comics + The Invincible Iron Man and the Iron man film finished it off) and I really enjoyed the film.

So yeah add Ultimate avengers 2 plus Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme to the list I enjoyed. I have so far loved every Marvel animated film and look forward to Thor: Son of Asgard this year.

I'm not saying they are or are not Much better just that I enjoyed them more. But I absolutely loved "Next avengers" To the point where I wished it had a comic on it. If Marvel were to launch a comic based on that film right now i'd buy everyone I could.

"Ultimate Avengers" You didn't like, Fair enough. I did I loved it. Hulk vs the Avengers with a nice mixture of 616 meets ultimates. I liked it. Sure it could have been bit better but still I prefer it to Justice League - The New Frontier. Which I also loved.

"The Invincible Iron Man" lead up to me liking Iron Man. (Ultimate comics + The Invincible Iron Man and the Iron man film finished it off) and I really enjoyed the film.

So yeah add Ultimate avengers 2 plus Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme to the list I enjoyed. I have so far loved every Marvel animated film and look forward to Thor: Son of Asgard this year.

Fair enough, they always seem like crappily acted, churned out pieces of uselessness to me; compared to the high-quality, original movies that are the DC DTVs.

The Dark Knight Returns animated movie is inevitable.

DC Animated Movies I've Seen:
JLA: New Frontier = A
Batman: Gotham Knight: A-
Superman: Doomsday: B

Marvel Animated Movies I've Seen:
Invincible Iron Man = D-
Ultimate Avengers = C-
Ultimate Avengers 2 = D
Hulk Vs. = A

Next Avengers?

:arrgh:

Anyway. The guy playing Hal also played Freakshow in Harold and Kumar. And Michael Madsen kicks ***!

Last edited:

The Dark Knight Returns animated movie is inevitable.

God, I hope so. It's absolutely the only way I ever want to see DKR adapted and I think it's perfectly suited to Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, both of whom are getting a bit older now and don't suit a lot of the Batman projects they're doing (Conroy was my least favourite thing about Gotham Knight for example and Hamill just sounds weird as the Joker in this new game that's coming out), for that reason, IMO.

DC Animated Movies I've Seen:
JLA: New Frontier = A
Batman: Gotham Knight: A-
Superman: Doomsday: B

I still haven't seen New Frontier, because it wasn't released over here for some reason (low sales for Superman: Doomsday, possibly?). I'd certainly agree with your other two rankings though. Gotham Knight was a visual masterpiece and exactly the kind of thing a new Batman animated series should be. Superman: Doomsday was good, but lacked the punch of it's source material and the final showdown was really, really disappointing.

Honestly?

both sides attempts at animation have been pretty weak

New Frontier, and Dr. Strange were both pretty decent though

Honestly?

both sides attempts at animation have been pretty weak

New Frontier, and Dr. Strange were both pretty decent though

?!?

As in ever?

Go and watch Batman: The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm, you silly man.

If what you meant was that the recent DVD movies weren't that great, well then I'm inclined to agree, but DC still massively outrank Marvel in terms of, well, everything. The voice acting, the animation, the music and the writing is all leaps and bounds over Marvel's dime-store efforts and I have high hopes for Green Lantern.

Last edited:

?!?

As in ever?

Go and watch Batman: The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm, you silly man.
SRSLY
If what you meant was that the recent DVD movies weren't that great, well then I'm inclined to agree, but DC still massively outrank Marvel in terms of, well, everything. The voice acting, the animation, the music and the writing is all leaps and bounds over Marvel's dime-store efforts and I have high hopes for Green Lantern.

I wouldn't say it's DC over Marvel, more like it's Warner Bros over whatever independent animation studio Marvel got. Considering they probably don't expect much revenue and of course will not shell out crazy money for the best animation physically possible. It's almost unfair to even try and compare them to WB's tradition of great animation. And really their not that bad (okay Ultimate Avengers 2 was) But from the ones I've seen their really not. Ultimate Avengers was pretty solid, the only real problem was that they didn't have a target audience. It was split between the Saturday mourning crowd and late teens early to mid twenties. If they had chosen one it would have been a stronger film instead of being caught between a kids show and a serious action movie.

But seriously it had pretty good animation, it really had voice acting, characters were written accurately, action is done really well, great sound effects, great music. It really only has a few moments of extremely poor animation, plotline, and dialogue problems. But also had some truly great moments for the characters. It's a good film with only low budget and direction keeping it from being a great film, one I wouldn't mind watching again. In fact I think I'll watch it right now. I just don't get the hate.

Re: Marvel Animatied Movies Vs DC Animated Movies.

For comics I'm a Marvel over DC guy, but when it comes to animation? Marvel can't hold a candle to DC. DC's animated movies are better looking and a lot more fun.

?!?

As in ever?

I meant the recent ones

duh

in the recent revival of non tv show based direct to dvd comic based animated feature length films (that better?) they have both been rather weak. That being said both are improving, and both have produced some decent works (Dr. Strange, New Frontier). I am looking forward to what is coming out in the future Lantern from DC and Thor: Son of Asgard from Marvel

and yes Mask of the Phantasm was awesome

Done and done, Mole.

Thank you!

*Hugs tight like a teddy* You even saved me to job of editing my post :D Mole :heart: Ice. My new gift to you is this :

*jumps back on topic without been told*

Random said:
I wouldn't say it's DC over Marvel, more like it's Warner Bros over whatever independent animation studio Marvel got. Considering they probably don't expect much revenue and of course will not shell out crazy money for the best animation physically possible. It's almost unfair to even try and compare them to WB's tradition of great animation. And really their not that bad (okay Ultimate Avengers 2 was) But from the ones I've seen their really not. Ultimate Avengers was pretty solid, the only real problem was that they didn't have a target audience. It was split between the Saturday mourning crowd and late teens early to mid twenties. If they had chosen one it would have been a stronger film instead of being caught between a kids show and a serious action movie.

But seriously it had pretty good animation, it really had voice acting, characters were written accurately, action is done really well, great sound effects, great music. It really only has a few moments of extremely poor animation, plotline, and dialogue problems. But also had some truly great moments for the characters. It's a good film with only low budget and direction keeping it from being a great film, one I wouldn't mind watching again. In fact I think I'll watch it right now. I just don't get the hate.

I pretty much agree with you Random. Though Person preference even Art style I prefer the Marvel Animation to the one in Justice League: The New Frontier. I really don't like the style in The New Frontier. Understand why it looks like that but I don't like it. However I loved the film.

I do also do not understand the hate for Marvel's. Like I mentioned I prefer Marvel's movies. Ironically I'm the opposite of Ice. I now days prefer DC comics to Marvel comics (too many things at marvel have ruined my liking for them) but I prefer Marvel animated movies to DC's.

I think part of it as well might because IMO DC's are too full of themselves. E.g Justice League: The New Frontier try so hard visually to appear artistic and comic-book based. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

However Marvels come across more as just fun movies everyone can love. I prefer that as they are more enjoyable. But that is just me I know others will feel different and I might be wording wrong.

It's already been said:

Dr.Strange and New Frontier are the only 2 recent DVD releases from either company that are really worth a damn.

While Gotham Knight was entertaining on certain levels, it just didn't satisfy me like I expected it to. Superman: Doomsday was shaping up to be pretty good, but it seemed to fall apart at the end. We'll see about this Wonder Woman DVD tomorrow.

But Marvel does nothing but release bollocks.

Last edited:

Dr.Strange and New Frontier are the only 2 recent DVD releases from either company that are really worth a damn.

But Marvel does nothing but release bollocks.
contradictory arguments

does not compute

error error

system overload

*head splode's up*

Latest posts

Back