Marvel Animated Universe (Earth 8096)... Avengers - EMH, Wolverine & the X-Men, etc.

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So I recently sat down and started rewatching the Earth 8096 animated Marvel universe movies and TV shows. These are the movies/shows primarily written and overseen by Christopher Yost. According to the Official Marvel Handbook, the following comprise this universe:

Thor - Tales of Asgard (movie)
Hulk Vs. (movie)
Wolverine and the X-Men (series)
The Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes (series)

It's still unclear if the new show Avengers Assemble will actually be a continuation of Avengers - EMH or a reboot/separate universe.

There are also a 4 issue and ongoing (currently at 12 issues) comic series based on Avengers - EMH that tell new stories.

Anyway, I started with Thor - Tales of Asgard and found it to be enjoyable, with decent animation and voice acting, though the story was a bit formulaic.

Next I watched Hulk Vs. which is actually two separate animated movies: Hulk Vs. Thor and Hulk Vs. Wolverine. I really enjoyed both. Hulk Vs Thor was influenced by the original Avengers storyline of Loki influencing Hulk, though noticeably different and lacking any of the other Avengers since it actually occurs entirely in Asgard. Hulk Vs. Wolverine was influenced by the storyline of Hulk and Wolverine's first encounter (and Wolverine's first appearance ever) in the Hulk ongoing, with additional influences from the Weapon X storylines. Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, and Deadpool (who gets some truly funny lines) guest star also. Quite impressed with how it turned out, especially Hulk Vs. Wolverine.

Now I'm watching Wolverine and the X-Men, which takes place a year after an explosion at the Xavier mansion supposedly kills Professor Xavier and Jean Grey. The Mutant Response Division's over the top tactics in capturing mutants leads Wolverine to return to the mansion and along with Beast start re-recruiting the team (who have all gone their separate ways). I'm enjoying it immensely. It has some things in common with the older series from the 90's, but is much better in every respect (as much as I love the old series from when I was a kid, this new one is much smarter, darker, and better paced with much better written characters who are more believable and three dimensional).

I'll get to Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes next. I'd initially watched a few episodes of it a year or so back, and while I didn't like the animation as much as Wolverine and the X-Men, it was decent, and I know the show has a legion of fans.

Overall it's good stuff. Love that each stands on it's own, but if you pay attention there are foreshadowing or references to the other shows/movies in each. Like the shared universe approach Yost helped set up.

Hoping Avengers Assemble continues this universe and isn't a reboot, as it's unnecessary and would essentially end what's shaping up to be the premiere Marvel animated effort.

Anyone else a fan of these?

Wolverine and the X-Men was a great show, with the exceptions of episodes 4-7. I remember finding them a bit too cheesy to enjoy. Everything else was great and I'm sad Marvel couldn't work out a deal with the financial partners to create a second season. It would've been epic.

Also, Avengers: EMH was an awesome show. In the first season there's little droplets towards them doing a Secret Invasion story line that they pick up on in season 2, which turned out to be a better S.I. story than the comics. And they paced themselves very well with it, too. It wasn't rushed nor did it feel like it dragged on.

I still don't get why EMH had to end for the new one, just because they wanted the lineup to be more like the movie. The lineup in EMH was already like the movie! And it even had Falcon like the new show is adding to the roster. Someone fire Jeph Loeb already.

Last edited:
Re: Marvel Animated Universe (Earth 8096)... Avengers - EMH, Wolverine & the X-Men, e

Three dimensional characters are so 20th century.

I only watch TV shows with four dimensional characters.

Re: Marvel Animated Universe (Earth 8096)... Avengers - EMH, Wolverine & the X-Men, e

Wolverine and the X-Men was a great show, with the exceptions of episodes 4-7. I remember finding them a bit too cheesy to enjoy. Everything else was great and I'm sad Marvel couldn't work out a deal with the financial partners to create a second season. It would've been epic.

Also, Avengers: EMH was an awesome show. In the first season there's little droplets towards them doing a Secret Invasion story line that they pick up on in season 2, which turned out to be a better S.I. story than the comics. And they paced themselves very well with it, too. It wasn't rushed nor did it feel like it dragged on.

I still don't get why EMH had to end for the new one, just because they wanted the lineup to be more like the movie. The lineup in EMH was already like the movie! And it even had Falcon like the new show is adding to the roster. Someone fire Jeph Loeb already.

Well said. I won't have a huge problem with EMH cancellation as long as Avengers Assemble is an actual continuation as has been advertised.

Three dimensional characters are so 20th century.

I only watch TV shows with four dimensional characters.

That's probably the mescaline. Stop watching cartoons with Gary Busey.

The great thing about the end of EMH is that at the same time it also serves as a series finale (it wasn't intended to be that, it was written and done as a season finale originally), so while one may be sad that it's gone, you still get that closure that the show deserves.

Last edited:

I was surprised by the quality of Wolverine and the Xmen.

I also liked Avengers EMH in it's second season, which I felt was better than it's first.

The great thing about the end of EMH is that at the same time it also serves as a series finale (it wasn't intended to be that, it was written and done as a season finale originally), so while one may be sad that it's gone, you still get that closure that the show deserves.

I've only seen the first half of Season 1 so can't say for sure, but I'd read from other fans of EMH there were plot threads left unresolved. Again, that may or may not be true. We'll see, I should be able to finish off EMH in a couple weeks and I'll give my impressions then.

I was surprised by the quality of Wolverine and the Xmen.

I also liked Avengers EMH in it's second season, which I felt was better than it's first.

I wasn't super impressed by the first 13 episodes of EMH on my initial viewing of them, but then again I wasn't impressed by Wolverine and the X-Men the first time either. Now on my second viewing, I'm enjoying it much more. Not really sure why, but it bodes well for my opinion of EMH the second time around, all the more so if Season 2 is better than Season 1.

Watch spiderman the avengers meh is not worth it the animations suck and the acting is just as bad!however, if you want to watch it, go ahead send me a message letting me know your thoughts

Watch spiderman the avengers meh is not worth it the animations suck and the acting is just as bad!however, if you want to watch it, go ahead send me a message letting me know your thoughts

I finished Season 1 of Avengers EMH. I liked it. Preferred Wolverine and the X-Men more, but EMH weaves in a bunch of classic and newer Avengers stories from the comics quite well. I wouldn't call the animation or acting bad, though not as good as Wolverine and the X-Men. Gonna watch through Season 2 next.

I am a huge fan of EMH that's what got me interested in comic books. I figured if the show was this good the comics would be even better. While I agree the animation could have been a bit better it wast that bad nor was the acting bad by any means. I love this show so much so that's my response. I haven't finished season 2 yet but I can't wait to see it

Has anyone updated this?

I've been doing research on this, and I"ve read that since Nick Fury has grey hair in X-Men, Avengers must be set before that show...

I've been doing research on this, and I"ve read that since Nick Fury has grey hair in X-Men, Avengers must be set before that show...
He also has his eyepatch on the wrong eye. Yost said on the commentary on the DVD/Bluray, IIRC, that Fury might just been an inaccurate LMD.

He also has his eyepatch on the wrong eye. Yost said on the commentary on the DVD/Bluray, IIRC, that Fury might just been an inaccurate LMD.
I'm just getting into this universe and have decided to include The Spectacular Spider-Man, which Christopher Yost stated he considers canon. Also Fantastic Four: Earth's Greatest Heroes could fit from what I could tell so far. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm just getting into this universe and have decided to include The Spectacular Spider-Man, which Christopher Yost stated he considers canon. Also Fantastic Four: Earth's Greatest Heroes could fit from what I could tell so far. Any help would be appreciated!
Really? Link?

No. It's all "I wish" fandom hopes and what could have been with creators (i.e. "ORIGINALLY INTENDED" like Green Lantern was "originally intended" to be the first DCEU film). A YouTube video from a fan isn't going to prove crap, sorry to say.

If I were you, don't bother putting F4 or SSM in the same timeline (Earth-8096), because they have different universe designations: Earth-26496 and Earth-135263

Apologizes if I sound irked, but I've ran into too many people who were hoping a little much for this. A lot of it is pre-2012 Marvel Animation gush without enough research or textual evidence to suggest it's the same universe. Sure you may find things that could fit, but for the most part it's objectively from different realities. Regardless of what was "originally intended".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back