Marvel Apes

This was in con reports on more lot of websites. Newsarama, CBR, etc. And they all said the same thing: a kid pitched the idea of Marvel Apes, and then Joe Q. tried to look for him because he liked the idea.

This isn't no, "just found apes on wiki" or "stealing from DC".

I'm still slightly surprised they're doing a story though. like I can understand the artists having a bit of fun drawing some Avengers as Apes, but seeing as we've had the story once with zombies, and then again with skrulls, do we really need another story just so that we can look at the funny pics of the APEvengers.

Ok.

So just because DC did it Marvel shouldn't do it? Yeah, I guess they are going to copy DC panel by panel and all. :roll:

For such a specific idea, yes, really talking monkeys is more DC's thing anyway, it just seems weird in Marvel.

Well too bad. DC doesn't have any copyrights on it. And I'm pretty sure DC might not have even been the first ones to do do such a story.

Maybe, but something that fit in DC, doesn't always fit in marvel and this is one of those things. I don't know if JLApe was any good in the first place.

This was actually done because some kid asked Joe about doing a Marvel Apes version after they had done something else somewhat similar before. And yes, this is true because it was on all the sites 2 years ago from a convention, which I think it was from one of the Wizard ones.

So before you go hating Marvel because you're thinking they're "stealing" an idea from DC, check your facts.

This is something that's obviously just for fun. No one needs to be psychotic about it.

ok i think you took my comments as a little harsher than i meant them. if that's the case with the kid and all, fine no problem. the reason i said "boy i hate marvel sometimes" so "Psychotically" as you might put it is

a) even if they aren't stealing from DC, it is a really goofy idea. and with recent efforts to show comics aren't kids' stuffs, this doesn't help.

b) since when do kids dictate what stories marvel puts out?

c) why not do this as a What If? one-shot?! I mean, this idea is seriously ridiculous.

d) the idea was cool when i was 6 and DC did it, but I was thinking about it about 2 years ago (12 years after the initial story by DC) and I realized how goofy it is.

e) regardless of whether a kid gave Joe the idea or not, THE IDEA STILL ORIGINATES AT DC. They are turning their bread and butter super-team and turning them into apes/monkeys! Come ON! And overlord is totally right, if they totally didn't realize DC did it, they could have found out. or AT LEAST had the common sense not to put such a silly idea in continuity! I mean, the kid might have been rummaging through his older brother's comics and saw the DC version and thought "what if this happened to MARVEL's characters?!"

f) it is a sad thing that Joe Q is making editorial decisions based on what a little kid thought would be a really cool idea. I thought Gambit should have been on every super team Marvel had back in the day, but that does NOT mean it was a good idea.

now, if this IS a What If? story, or is in no way tied to continuity, or is an alternate universe story like Marvel Zombies, then I am 100% ok with it. Go ahead and use the little gimmick. But in continuity, it is a silly idea.

and all these gimmicks marvel is using recently (MULTIPLE alternate covers, silly storylines, etc. etc.) really reeks of the '90's.

and all this is why i hate marvel sometimes.

please don't criticize me as "psychotic," that really shows disrespect for other board members (which is an oft-cited rule here); it offends me, as I am entitled to my opinion, whether you agree with it or not, and it is not harmful in anyway in and of itself to any of the other members.

I don't see what the deal is, DC already did this and the sun didn't explode, not to mention DC has 4 talking monkey chracters and no seems to mind.

The problem is Marvel is being uncreative here, DC already did this, so doing it again seems like Marvel is ripping off DC. I don't think this story is going to God awful, just bland and uncreative.

My reaction to it has nothing to do with who did it first or how long ago it was decided or anything like that - only that it's a dumb idea.

This was done for fun methinks.

We all need to relax and stop taking things so seriously.

It's a joke idea, and they are obviously treating it as such.

My reaction to it has nothing to do with who did it first or how long ago it was decided or anything like that - only that it's a dumb idea.

You shouldn't be shocked though, this isn't excatly new. Heck read DC comic from 60s, stuff like that happned all the time.

Sure its a bad idea, but its not that out of the blue for comics.

This is something that's obviously just for fun. No one needs to be psychotic about it.

Actually, I heard this is the official continuation of Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk...so therefore, I'm pissed.

:sure:

I wish "some kid" would walk up to him and ask him to do some GOOD story telling.

:lol:

I said it before and I said it again....

Joe Q doesn't care about black people!

I mean did he stop and think about the subconcious bigotted message he's sending to America by portraying Luke Cage as a monkey? A BLACK MAN AS A MONKEY!

Somebody get me a phone! And when you bring me that phone....have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on the other end.

But...we all evolved from monkeys. Black, white, yellow, and whatever the hell color Moonmaster is (I've heard it described as Period-Blood Red, probably because of all the scabs).

Therefore, this story isn't racist, its anti-human!

Dancanread said:
i don't find that odd at all.

PAINT DRYING: THE COMIC would be better than U3.

If you were watcher, I'd believe that you actually heard that. :lol:

Kristin Kreuk has the inside buzz on the comics industry, since she's on a TV show based off a comic book. Duh! Thats where watcher gets all his news. Kristin finds all those pictures of movie sets he posts, and emails it to him. Watcher is merely the heavenly Kristin's messenger, therefore, don't kill him.

The problem with so many "just for fun" stories is that they don't work so well when the serious stories are crap.

It's like Michael Scott. A well-mannered, competent boss dressing up as Eminem and doing a rap song at a company party would be hilarious. A buffoon boss who does stuff like that every day and obviously should've used the time spent on a goofy routine to do his important work isn't so funny when he does stuff "just for fun".

Marvel can come to work in ape costumes on a day when they don't have to work like ****ing mad to fix their rapidly plummeting stock options.

Last edited:
Eh, who cares if DC did it first, it's just a crap idea.

It's random, pointless silliness in a strained attempt to pander to the fanboys.

I'm sure there will be another 3 million stories featuring the Marvel Apes and a bunch of SPECIAL SUPER AWESOME VARIANT COVERS until everyone gets sick of it.

Then they'll just do Marvel Chuck Norris's and everyone will LOLGASM again.
Oddly enough, this will probably be better than U3.
Oh, most definitely.

Btw......what happens to the villain Mandrill in this universe?

Latest posts

Back