Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

As much as I'd love to see ALL of Marvel's properties in the MCU, I'm pretty okay with Fox keeping the X-Men to themselves. However, I'd really like to see the FF in the MCU. You'd think that Fox would be smart enough to cut their losses with FF and make some kind of deal to trade the FF rights back for more share in X-Men merch or something. But maybe Marvel isn't in a rush to make a deal with Fox to regain the rights to a property that they have pretty much ruined for the public.

I've heard that Fox has seven years to get another FF movie into production before they lose the rights. But it might be longer. Daredevil came out in 2003 and they lost the rights in 2012. So maybe the rights will just revert sometime between 2023-2025. Just in time for Phase 4.
It's 7 years unless something is in production.

As much as I'd love to see ALL of Marvel's properties in the MCU, I'm pretty okay with Fox keeping the X-Men to themselves. However, I'd really like to see the FF in the MCU. You'd think that Fox would be smart enough to cut their losses with FF and make some kind of deal to trade the FF rights back for more share in X-Men merch or something. But maybe Marvel isn't in a rush to make a deal with Fox to regain the rights to a property that they have pretty much ruined for the public.

I've heard that Fox has seven years to get another FF movie into production before they lose the rights. But it might be longer. Daredevil came out in 2003 and they lost the rights in 2012. So maybe the rights will just revert sometime between 2023-2025. Just in time for Phase 4.

Yeah it is a seven year window. You're forgetting Fox released the Elektra movie in 2005, which seven years onward allowed Marvel to regain rights in 2012.

Spin offs of the main IP also apparently count in regards to the rights issue.

Also, Phase 4 will be almost over by 2023 and definitively so by 2025. Phase 3 ends in 2019 with fourth untitled Avengers film. Phase 4 will likely also start in 2019 or 2020.

Phase 1 ran from 2008-2012.

Phase 2 from 2012-2015.

Phase 3 from 2016-2019.

Phase 4 will likely run from 2019/2020-2023/2024.

If they get rights back between 2023-2025, the film wouldn't be out for at least a couple years later, so 2025-2027, well into a theoretical Phase 5. I doubt Marvel Studios will bother with pre production on a movie they don't decisively have rights back to yet, so yeah, if it does happen, it'll be a good 7-8 years from now at least, more factoring in scriptwriting, casting, pre-production, filming, editing, CGI, etc, which on average is around a 2-3 year process altogether (there's usually a good year of beginning steps of pre-production before they even cast, in terms of script polishing, hammering out tone and approach with director, etc).

Last edited:
[video=youtube;dW1BIid8Osg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1BIid8Osg[/video]

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer. Lots of Baby Groot and our first look at Mantis.

A casting call for Avengers: Infinity War has been released. Included are:
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Josh Brolin as Thanos
Chris Pratt as Star Lord / Peter Quill
Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange
Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel
Zoe Saldana as Gamora
Karen Gillan as Nebula
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch
Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon
Vin Diesel as Groot
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
Benedict Wong as Wong
Dave Bautista as Drax
Paul Bettany as Vision
Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Black Panther
Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man

Not Included are:
Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man :(
Don Cheadle as James Rhodes / War Machine
Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter / Agent 13
Evangeline Lilly as Hope Pym / The Wasp
Tom Hiddleston as Loki
or anyone from Agents of SHIELD or Netflix.

The exclusions are all understandable. Tom Holland is a bit disappointing, but I'm still betting that what was previously going to be Avengers: Infinity War Part II is now going to be New Avengers, and Spider-Man will be a main player.

Sigh, yeah, I saw that. I appreciate your sympathy. :)

I'm disappointed too. Hopefully Marvel Studios film and TV departments can work better for more character crossover potential. Heck, even if it's a one way street of the occasional film characters showing up on TV (like Fury on AoS, as well as Coulson headlining the show, not to mention Agent Carter). I mean, while we may not see Kingpin on film, how awesome would Holland showing up as Spidey in Daredevil Season 3's final episode to help Daredevil take on Kingpin and Bullseye? My God fans would go NUTS! And that's the thing, those fan service and excellent story telling opportunities CAN be pursued and done, they're all the same studio, just different divisions. Get your stuff together, Marvel. Make the most of what you have. It'd only be a few weeks of shooting at most for Holland, and would be an easy and affordable contract extension. Or Punisher. The darker and grittier approach of the Netflix Marvel shows could serve as an important learning curve for the rookie Spider-Man, whose humor and light heartenedness would clash well with the likes of most of the characters in that universe.

Sigh. I know it's only a fan dream as of now, but seriously, what a huge missed opportunity not to take advantage of that.

Don't remember where I heard this. But Marvel said it may happen sometime down the line. But it wouldn't be any time soon.

how awesome would Holland showing up as Spidey in Daredevil Season 3's final episode to help Daredevil take on Kingpin and Bullseye?

It would be awesome. I think it might take a couple of episodes to establish the relationship between Spider-Man and Daredevil. I LOVE the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up issues where DD tells Spidey to give up b/c he's just a kid and doesn't get it.

I also loved the scene in the Marvel knights arc of USM where King Pin tells Spider-Man that he owns the marketing rights to his image, so him being Spider-Man makes him more money than it costs him in losses when Spider-Man interferes.

Anyway. We're closer to this than ever before. I'll hoping dreaming.

I wish they had a better Nick Fury in the films. Just an absolute f-cker like in the comics. I want that moment when Spider-Man punches Fury, but that takes a build up.

Well, even if a deal hasn't been made, Fox only has 5.5 years to get the next one in production. I just don't see that happening, no matter what they say.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused about what Derrickson said: "I still have hope that Fantastic Four can be properly brought into the MCU because a lot of Doctor Strange – that's the comment I read the most during that." everything after 'because' makes little sense. Does he mean while he was working on Doctor Strange, he read a lot of comments saying they were hoping the FF will come to the MCU?

Bringing in Doom as a Dr. Strange villain would be the PERFECT way to introduce the FF into the MCU and build interest in the currently defunct franchise.

Last edited:
Guys... There are FOUR MCU movies coming out in the next 12 months (Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther). That's not including the Inhumans pilot Imax movie and subsequent mini series. On top of that there are at least two, maybe three Netflix shows (Iron Fist, Defenders, Punisher?), and hopefully season 5 of Agents of SHIELD (plus - assuming they are in the MCU - the premiere of Cloak & Dagger in Winter 2018, and possibly Runaways, but that might come later in 2018).

Hallelujah.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back