Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

The only way it works as the same universe (which it definitely isn't):
1. The classic Spider-Man suit is from present day scenes while the show is a giant flashback.
2. Nico Minoru moved to New York after her sister died. That's how she can be in this show.
3. This is set between Daredevil 2x06 and 2x07, during the Frank Castle trial. That or we go off the wiki timeline and this happens entirely before S2. Matt can have multiple suits, why not?
4. Doctor Strange is either from present day scenes or he ended up in the past. This is what breaks everything the most, I think.
5. Oscorp has a different name or it was brought our by another company by the time No Way Home occurs.
6. The No Way Home villains are giant retcons that we have to accept.

This just depends on how insistent they are that it's before Civil War. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I wish it was canon. I would have loved to see our versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil team up, but oh well.

Last edited:
The only way it works as the same universe (which it definitely isn't):
1. The classic suit is from present day scenes while the show is a giant flashback.
2. Nico Minoru moved to New York after her sister died. That's how she can be in this show.
3. This is set between Daredevil 2x06 and 2x07, during the Frank Castle trial. That or we go off the wiki timeline and this happens entirely before S2. Matt can have multiple suits, why not?
4. Doctor Strange is either from present day scenes or he ended up in the past. This is what breaks everything the most, I think.
5. Oscorp has a different name or it was brought our by another company by the time No Way Home occurs.
6. The No Way Home villains are giant retcons that we have to accept.

This just depends on how insistent they are that it's before Civil War. It doesn't make that whole lot of sense.
If they were just contradicting Marvel Television, I could maybe buy it's still supposed to be before Civil War. But, the fact they're contradicting themselves tells me it's clearly meant to be a separate universe. Even one of the images shown today is a recreation of May and Tony in Civil War just Tony replaced with Norman. I'm looking at this series as a long What-If episode.

If they were just contradicting Marvel Television, I could maybe buy it's still supposed to be before Civil War. But, the fact they're contradicting themselves tells me it's clearly meant to be a separate universe. Even one of the images shown today is a recreation of May and Tony in Civil War just Tony replaced with Norman. I'm looking at this series as a long What-If episode.
The Marvel Television contradictions are the least problematic, somehow.

The Marvel Television contradictions are the least problematic, somehow.
I think it'd be a stretch with Nico moving to New York for a short period of time, especially since it'd most likely not be brought up and kept vague, but yeah bringing in villains Peter shouldn't be aware of yet and bringing in Norman and Harry would be way bigger contradictions. I honestly feel like at some point they decided to use their animation division to focus on universes other than 616. Which would allow Disney + to still release Marvel content, without further fatiguing general audiences who are overwhelmed at the amount of MCU content we're seeing these days. People who want to check these shows out can, whether they're familiar with the MCU or not.

In Short

Spider-Man Freshman Year & Spider-Man Sophomore Year are a Variant Timeline inbetween What If S01/S02/S03 (Only If future seasons of What If follow a continuous story that connects season to season and episode to episode) and the Raimiverse Trilogy

(So Earth XXX - September 2015-June 2016 & September 2016 - June 2017)

I am Groot S01 looks to be set around November 2014 - Early 2015 (Yondu's Ravager ship from GotG Vol 2 is visible in the trailer)

Marvels Zombies is set post What If S01E05 but I'm not sure if would put it before What If S01E06 or after Ms Marvel (AKA the furthest point in the timeline) just because of all of the new phase 4 characters included or how much time has passed in that universe

What If S02 & S03 is likely set after S01 and hopefully connects all of its new and different universes with an overarching chronological viewing order like S01 did with the watcher

X-Men 97' S01 & S02 as of now are not canon but that could change in time, in which case we might have to add all of the other Marvel Animated shows from the 90s and Early 00s

You'd only have to consider X-Men (1992-1997) and Spider-Man (1994-1998) as part of the MCU Multiverse, since they're the only shows set in Earth-92131. I don't think you'd have to add them, and I don't really think they're going to connect. The tie-in comics also connect that reality to the other comic book universes, with the first series being set entirely within Battleworld and the second featuring the 2099 universe from the comics.

In Short

Spider-Man Freshman Year & Spider-Man Sophomore Year are a Variant Timeline inbetween What If S01/S02/S03 (Only If future seasons of What If follow a continuous story that connects season to season and episode to episode) and the Raimiverse Trilogy

(So Earth XXX - September 2015-June 2016 & September 2016 - June 2017)

I am Groot S01 looks to be set around November 2014 - Early 2015 (Yondu's Ravager ship from GotG Vol 2 is visible in the trailer)

Marvels Zombies is set post What If S01E05 but I'm not sure if would put it before What If S01E06 or after Ms Marvel (AKA the furthest point in the timeline) just because of all of the new phase 4 characters included or how much time has passed in that universe

What If S02 & S03 is likely set after S01 and hopefully connects all of its new and different universes with an overarching chronological viewing order like S01 did with the watcher

X-Men 97' S01 & S02 as of now are not canon but that could change in time, in which case we might have to add all of the other Marvel Animated shows from the 90s and Early 00s
The official synopsis says that I Am Groot takes place during various points in Groot's childhood. So I imagine it'll jump around a little bit.

And I don't think we know enough about Freshman Year to say that with confidence

You'd only have to consider X-Men (1992-1997) and Spider-Man (1994-1998) as part of the MCU Multiverse, since they're the only shows set in Earth-92131. I don't think you'd have to add them, and I don't really think they're going to connect. The tie-in comics also connect that reality to the other comic book universes, with the first series being set entirely within Battleworld and the second featuring the 2099 universe from the comics.
Yeah bringing in the 90s Marvel shows and their alt timelines makes things infinitely more convoluted.

I'm sure they'll be mentioned at D23, but with the focus on Phase 4's ending and Phase 5's beginning, I'm surprised Werewolf by Night and the Guardians Holiday Special weren't included (especially with Gunn and the cast there). They made it sound like She-Hulk and Wakanda Forever were all that was left for Phase 4 and that Quantumania was the start of 5. However, the Guardians Holiday Special has to be either the end of 4 or the beginning of 5, and Werewolf by Night should be considered a part of 4.

I'm sure they'll be mentioned at D23, but with the focus on Phase 4's ending and Phase 5's beginning, I'm surprised Werewolf by Night and the Guardians Holiday Special weren't included (especially with Gunn and the cast there). They made it sound like She-Hulk and Wakanda Forever were all that was left for Phase 4 and that Quantumania was the start of 5. However, the Guardians Holiday Special has to be either the end of 4 or the beginning of 5, and Werewolf by Night should be considered a part of 4.
I think the Specials are being considered like the One-Shots, not officially part of a phase but supplementary to them. But yeah Phase 4 ends with Wakanda Forever and Phase 5 is Quantumania to Thunderbolts with Phase 6 being Fantastic Four to Secret Wars

I think the Specials are being considered like the One-Shots, not officially part of a phase but supplementary to them. But yeah Phase 4 ends with Wakanda Forever and Phase 5 is Quantumania to Thunderbolts with Phase 6 being Fantastic Four to Secret Wars
Makes sense. These are going to act like extended One-Shots anyway.

Well, that ends the canon debate, lol. Same suit but recoloured.
I disagree, there's hardly enough information to say that. I mean isn't things being nearly the same but slightly different kinda the multiverse's thing? There's not enough info to say this ends the canon debate because it very well could mean the Netflix shows are set in a separate timeline and this is Daredevil's first suit as it is in the comics. Either way I wouldn't put all my money on either side.

Makes sense. These are going to act like extended One-Shots anyway.
Pretty much yeah, still surprised nothing was said on them tho especially with Werewolf by Night being released so soon, guess it'll be Disney+ Day

I disagree, there's hardly enough information to say that. I mean isn't things being nearly the same but slightly different kinda the multiverse's thing? There's not enough info to say this ends the canon debate because it very well could mean the Netflix shows are set in a separate timeline and this is Daredevil's first suit as it is in the comics. Either way I wouldn't put all my money on either side.
It's the same suit. It's the same cufflinks. It's the same actor. It's the same universe. Even if they reference the exact same events you can still come up with this, frankly, terrible excuse ignore it. Dude, Iron Man could be set in different different universe where similar events happen by that logic. As for the yellow colors, it probably relates to the fact Bullseye tarnished his image.

Stop. Please. This is not something that can be bet on. We've known this was canon since 2015. They literally went though the effort of recreating the exact suit from the Daredevil show and adding yellow to it.
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Qan-K4o-Soz-R4-H.png

It's the same suit. It's the same cufflinks. It's the same actor. It's the same universe. Even if they reference the exact same events you can still come up with this, frankly, terrible excuse ignore it. Dude, Iron Man could be set in different different universe where similar events happen by that logic. As for the yellow colors, it probably relates to the fact Bullseye tarnished his image.

Stop. Please. This is not something that can be bet on. We've known this was canon since 2015. They literally went though the effort of recreating the exact suit from the Daredevil show and adding yellow to it.
View attachment 804
I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was saying the suit being the same-ish but different isn't enought to "end the canon debate". You're right the cufflinks and actor are the same however the suit is different, similar in design but still different, the Bullseye thing could be true but that assumption is just as good as assuming that since it's the first appearance design from the comics it's stands to reason that this is his first suit design in the MCU as well. Also the same actor does not mean same universe as shown by Loki, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness unless you're saying Earth-838 is where the X-Men Universe is set and the Raimi Trilogy happened in the MCU cause JK Simmons reprised the role. I'm sorry but the only thing that'll end the debate is when Feige or Marvel Studios steps up and confirms it which they have been very hesitant to do, I mean they specifically removed the connections between Marvel Television and Studios on Kingpin and Daredevil's page on their official site, which also says something. Again I'm not saying you're wrong cause it very well can be canon, but there's enough to say it isn't as well.

As for that Iron Man thing yeah you *could* say that but, despite the obvious reasons Iron Man and the Netflix shows are different, unlike the television series Marvel Studios would absolutely confirm that it is set in the main MCU. The same can't be said for the Marvel Television series

I want it noted quickly that I'm not trying to piss you off or say the series is for sure non-canon cause frankly I don't really know or generally care overall, I just think it's far too early to tell based on the trailer's 2 second appearance but hey if you're confident enough to 100% say the debate is over then go for it, who knows you might be right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back