Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

I fail to see why this is a problem. It is hard to believe that Season 6 is set during the 5 year gap? All they would need is a reference to half the population being gone. I'm sure the world hasn't yet reached its apocalyptic state from 2023.
well, no one in the show has died. Maybe Jemma will mention her parents going poof, or Mack will mention the disappearance of Ruben Mackenzie, his brother.

retcon. I believe the timeline goes like this.

Timeline 1
Original MCU occurs until Steve goes back in time. Steve from Timeline 0 appears, which is identical to Timeline 1.

Timeline 2
This universe is the one Steve from Timeline 1 shows up in.

Timeline 3
This universe is the one Steve from Timeline 2 shows up in.

Etc.

We can chork the Peggy scenes up to very bad alzheimer.
Then everything the Ancient One said was a lie? The movie explained the effects of time travel in such a way that parallel universes were created and the main timeline is unaffected. This is the least complicated explanation of time travel that they could have offered. The Ancient One clearly said that taking the stone would save Bruce's timeline, but doom her own, clearly defining that there are multiple timelines. The writers of the film also explain it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-explainer.html

well, no one in the show has died. Maybe Jemma will mention her parents going poof, or Mack will mention the disappearance of Ruben Mackenzie, his brother.
Yeah, I think the most likely scenario is that the main cast all got lucky with the snap.

Then everything the Ancient One said was a lie? The movie explained the effects of time travel in such a way that parallel universes were created and the main timeline is unaffected. This is the least complicated explanation of time travel that they could have offered. The Ancient One clearly said that taking the stone would save Bruce's timeline, but doom her own, clearly defining that there are multiple timelines. The writers of the film also explain it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-explainer.html
I was talking about Caps timeline, not hers. That timeline was not in a timeloop like Caps. I'm trying to find an explanation for the timeline to work the same without cap being in the same timeline, which contradicts the established time travel explanation.

I was talking about Caps timeline, not hers. That timeline was not in a timeloop like Caps. I'm trying to find an explanation for the timeline to work the same without cap being in the same timeline, which contradicts the established timeline.
I think the simplest explanation without contradicting the Ancient One's explanation of alternate universes is that Steve went back to an alternate universe, lived in said universe with Peggy for ~70 years, and then after Peggy died, he returned to the main timeline. I know he didn't reappear on the time platform, but it is shown that the portable time devices can transport you throughout both time and space, allowing Steve to arrive on the bench.

I think the simplest explanation without contradicting the Ancient One's explanation of alternate universes is that Steve went back to an alternate universe, lived in said universe with Peggy for ~70 years, and then after Peggy died, he returned to the main timeline. I know he didn't reappear on the time platform, but it is shown that the portable time devices can transport you throughout both time and space, allowing Steve to arrive on the bench.
To be honest, it doesn't matter. Steve ended up on that bench no matter what and, it looks like, we both agree on the alternative universe explanation, even if we don't agree on how it works.

Though I might be wrong, since I can't read that article.

To be honest, it doesn't matter. Steve ended up on that bench no matter what and, it looks like, we both agree on the alternative universe explanation, even if we don't agree on how it works.

Though I might be wrong, since I can't read that article.
Did the link to the article not work?

nope, I just don't have the required subscription to access.
Just a copy and paste of what it said.
Create an account to upgrade to 10 articles a month.
Already have a Times account? Log in
Oh, I see. This is the part of the article I was talking about. It really just reinforces what is established in the movie.23

The reason Steve had to return the Infinity Stones was so they wouldn't screw up the alternate timelines. It had nothing to do with their own timeline, but if they stole the stones from the alternate timelines, they would essentially be dooming those timelines. If this wasn't the case, then altering the past by doing things like killing Nebula and Thanos would totally screw up the main timeline. Also, as I said, there's no way Peggy was married to Steve in the main timeline, because she wouldn't have been so shocked to see him in Winter Soldier.

No clue where you get that conclusion from. We see a literal physical interpretation of the time stream and once the stone is replaced in it, the branched timeline disappears.

No clue where you get that conclusion from. We see a literal physical interpretation of the time stream and once the stone is replaced in it, the branched timeline disappears.
Restoring the timeline doesn't mean the branched timeline literally disappears, it just means it's been repaired to the point that it has all of its infinity stones. Returning the mind stone to 2012 doesn't change the fact that Loki escaped with the Tesseract, which will definitely have repercussions down the line. Returning the power stone to 2014 doesn't stop Thanos from coming to the future and Nebula dying. Returning the stones to the past clearly does not erase alternate timelines.

I'm going to tell this to everyone who believed the tv shows were non-canon.

Avengers: Endgame featured Edwin Jarvis from Agent Carter, therefore it is 100% canon. Not just the character, but the same actor. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a design of Howard Stark's from Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a reference to the events of Daredevil, specifically a gang war, on a tv. It also features a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage, believe it or not. Micro from The Punisher helps out Coulsons S.H.I.E.L.D. in Season 2. Inhumans references the Terragen in the water supply from the end of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2. Runaways features a background character from the pilot of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Cloak & Dagger references both the movies and the netflix shows, and O'Reilly was friends with Misty Night. She also knew Ben Urich, as evidenced on season 2.

I'm going to tell this to everyone who believed the tv shows were non-canon.

Avengers: Endgame featured Edwin Jarvis from Agent Carter, therefore it is 100% canon. Not just the character, but the same actor. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a design of Howard Stark's from Agent Carter. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. features a reference to the events of Daredevil, specifically a gang war, on a tv. It also features a Judas Bullet from Luke Cage, believe it or not. Micro from The Punisher helps out Coulsons S.H.I.E.L.D. in Season 2. Inhumans references the Terragen in the water supply from the end of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2. Runaways features a background character from the pilot of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. Cloak & Dagger references both the movies and the netflix shows, and O'Reilly was friends with Misty Night. She also knew Ben Urich, as evidenced on season 2.
What character from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot is in Runaways?

Restoring the timeline doesn't mean the branched timeline literally disappears, it just means it's been repaired to the point that it has all of its infinity stones. Returning the mind stone to 2012 doesn't change the fact that Loki escaped with the Tesseract, which will definitely have repercussions down the line. Returning the power stone to 2014 doesn't stop Thanos from coming to the future and Nebula dying. Returning the stones to the past clearly does not erase alternate timelines.

Once again, we see the branches literally be erased once the stones are returned, so I believe your interpretation is flawed. I'll concede that things are sticky with the Space Stone and Power Stone, but from what I understand, the split timeline where Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula go to the future is essentially cut off once the stone is returned. Those events happened and then they didn't. The space stone is a bit stickier, but we also dont know specifically what happened when Cap returned the stones. The fact of the matter is that if it were all alternate timelines, then cap aging would set him to be in an alternate timeline and not back in the original one.

Latest posts

Back