Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Because that's not what she says. She makes it clear that their timelines are different, and her timeline would be doomed if he didn't return the stone, but would not affect his timeline. Failure to return the stones would not affect Bruce's timeline at all, but would doom the Ancient One's timeline.
She makes it clear that by removing the stone it creates a new timeline which would then be hers and will doom it, but only if he takes the stone from her. It's not an alternate timeline until this happens. But should he return it, its then erases that timeline.

There are no theories to be had, the film explained everything

She makes it clear that by removing the stone it creates a new timeline which would then be hers and will doom it, but only if he takes the stone from her. It's not an alternate timeline until this happens. But should he return it, its then erases that timeline.

There are no theories to be had, the film explained everything
No one ever says it would erase that timeline. Bruce says once they return the stone to the moment it was taken, "chronologically, in that reality, it never left," implying that it's still a different reality.

She explains it here, remove a stone it then creates a new branch reality, but once returned, its as if it never happened and erases the branch. Simple.

No one ever says it would erase that timeline. Bruce says once they return the stone to the moment it was taken, "chronologically, in that reality, it never left," implying that it's still a different reality.
Posted the scene above, they clearly state and show they become erased once the stones are returned

She explains it here, remove a stone it then creates a new branch reality, but once returned, its as if it never happened and erases the branch. Simple.

But they said it's still a different reality. Also, it's not accounting for any other changes they make while in the past, such as Loki getting away with the Tesseract or bringing Thanos to the future. What they're saying is, theoretically, if they undo all the changes they made in the past, the timeline will continue as normal.

But they said it's still a different reality. Also, it's not accounting for any other changes they make while in the past, such as Loki getting away with the Tesseract or bringing Thanos to the future. What they're saying is, theoretically, if they undo all the changes they made in the past, the timeline will continue as normal.
And that would erase all branch realities they created, so back to there being only one timeline. Therefore an infinite loop

I feel like if only the removal of the Infinity Stones affects the timeline, that's silly and too back to the Future like, unless we look at it like it was always meant to be and the timeline was never changed because cap already delivered the stones before cap went back to deliver the stones. I don't know. Everything should change the timeline if the stones do. I know they are mega important but I still can't see it not working like this. Wouldnt the Avengers make a comment about remembering encountering themselves? I suppose Caps "yeah I know" could be it.

Last edited:
And that would erase all branch realities they created, so back to there being only one timeline. Therefore an infinite loop
Yes, theoretically. Except, as I said, the timeline is only restored when they fix all the changes they made to it. Thanos died before the events of Guardians of the Galaxy in one timeline, and this is irreparable damage to the timeline. Therefore, that timeline is not ever restored.

I feel like if only the removal of the Infinity Stones affects the timeline, that's silly and too back to the Future like, unless we look at it like it was always meant to be and the timeline was never changed because cap already delivered the stones before cap went back to deliver the stones. I don't know. Everything should change the timeline. Wouldnt the Avengers make a comment about remembering encountering themselves?
Any change would create a new branch, not just the removal of the stones. That is the plot hole I mentioned before. Cap would have to prevent all interactions, not just replace the stones

I feel like if only the removal of the Infinity Stones affects the timeline, that's silly and too back to the Future like, unless we look at it like it was always meant to be and the timeline was never changed because cap already delivered the stones before cap went back to deliver the stones. I don't know. Everything should change the timeline. Wouldnt the Avengers make a comment about remembering encountering themselves?
So, Bruce mentions that you can't change your own past. This can be interpreted to mean either that any change you make in the past has already happened, and therefore leaves your own timeline unchanged, or it can mean that any change you make in the past affects an alternate reality that is not your own. Banner and the Ancient One's discussion, as well as past Nebula and Thanos' death, clearly show that the former interpretation cannot be true. This video explains it really well.

Theories are irrelevant as is interpretation, the films explains how time travel and timelines work in the MCU. The writers made it that way. So unless they imply or say Cap failed in restoring the timeline by their own rule set, it is safe to say all alternate timelines are erased as previously discussed. It might not make sense in the real world, but it's a comic book movie with its own rule book.

My Theory
Steve at the end is not the same Steve who left to deliver the stones. He's an alternative universe Steve created by another Steve who went back to deliver the stones. It's a loop of infinite Captain America's asses. This way the time travel machine isn't contradicted, and my understanding of the timeline stays intact.

In my opinion, the other scenes are alternative timelines/universes as well, but i do like the theory that when you put back the stones, it's the same timeline.

I prefer the idea that

Steve just returns to the main MCU timeline in some alternative method after Peggy died. Maybe he knew the day, but just made sure to be early by a few hours and that's why he was sitting on the bench.

Basically they chose to have him on the bench because it was more dramatic than old Steve just materializing on the quantum platform.

I prefer the idea that

Steve just returns to the main MCU timeline in some alternative method after Peggy died. Maybe he knew the day, but just made sure to be early by a few hours and that's why he was sitting on the bench.

Basically they chose to have him on the bench because it was more dramatic than old Steve just materializing on the quantum platform.
I agree completely. What matters is that he's back, not how or where he got back.

Restoring the timeline doesn't mean the branched timeline literally disappears, it just means it's been repaired to the point that it has all of its infinity stones. Returning the mind stone to 2012 doesn't change the fact that Loki escaped with the Tesseract, which will definitely have repercussions down the line. Returning the power stone to 2014 doesn't stop Thanos from coming to the future and Nebula dying. Returning the stones to the past clearly does not erase alternate timelines.

I'm way behind and dealing with spoiler tags is a bit of a pain. Sorry for responding to posts in random order.

Anyways
yeah I think people are getting very hung up on the Ancient One's little light show. Specifically, if Banner takes her Time Stone and never brings it back Dormammu will come to Earth in 2017 and win. This is BAD, as indicated by her little black branch stream.

However if the Time Stone is returned, Strange wins. This is GOOD and little black stream is avoided.

The 2014 branch universe is tricky because you can't just put the power Stone back at the moment it was taken since the whole Nebula thing was still ongoing. That branch is probably irrevocably changed and will probably fall victim to Ego's expansion.

I prefer the idea that

No, I think he just naturally aged until that point, walked over to the bench, and sat down.

Oh man, this movie was awesome!
I loved all the callbacks to the previous movies too. So the Captain Marvel mid credits scene wasn't in Endgame after all. Where does it fit in? It seems to be the first encounter between the Avengers and Carol. I have to watch Endgame again, but I guess it goes sometime before Tony is recording his first message for Pepper. So the Avengers on Earth are examining Fury's pager, they remember that some of the team might still be in space and send Carol to look for them?

And it looks like everything in our timeline is confirmed, which is great. Teams of heroes all travel from 2023 to different times to retrieve the Infinity Stones.

2012- Timeline of The Avengers. Tony, Steve, Scott, Bruce arrive in 2012 New York to get the Space, Time and Mind Stones. Steve successfully gets the Mind Stone (Scepter) by whispering "Hail Hydra" to known (to him) secret Hydra agent Sitwell. Bruce gets the Time Stone inside of the Agamotto necklace by telling the Ancient One that Doctor Strange willingly gave it to Thanos. She mentions that Doctor Strange won't be a sorcerer for another five years (2017). Steve and Scott fail (because of 2012 Hulk of course) to get the Space Stone (Tesseract) and Steve and Tony decide to try again in 1970.

2013- Timeline of Thor: The Dark World. Thor and Rocket travel to 2013 Asgard to extract the Aether (Reality Stone) from Jane Foster. Cool to see Natalie Portman again, even if just deleted "Dark World" footage, though I guess she did record new voice work.

2014- Timeline of Guardians of the Galaxy. Rhodey, Nebula, Clint and Natasha travel to 2014 Morag. Rhodey and Nebula get the Power Stone (Orb) using a tool taken from a knocked-out Peter Quill. Clint and Natasha travel to Vormir to get the Soul Stone. They're four years early, but it, and the Red Skull have presumably been there since the 1940s. Now I was just thinking about this, since Steve returned the Soul Stone, does that mean that Natasha can come back? I mean if the Soul Stone was "never taken", doesn't that mean that Natasha was "never sacrificed"? Of course 2014 Nebula, Gamora, Thanos and his minions were also transported to the "present day". Gamora will eventually "become" her present day self, but the others were of course killed.

Speaking of 1970, we now have a better idea of the foundation of S.H.I.E.L.D. It was founded no later than 1970, and we see that Howard Stark, Hank Pym and Peggy Carter were all working together (or at least in the same building) at this time, as alluded to in Ant-Man's 1989 prologue. Was any mention made of Project Pegasus? Would have been interesting to see Mar-Vell (aka Wendy Lawson) here too, but I assume she didn't come around for another 10-15 years.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the movie a second time. Pretty upset that I already knew that Tony and Natasha died, Thor got fat and Cap would wield the hammer, all due to stupid Quora questions that I didn't even read, other than the "headlines/ questions" while browsing unrelated stuff. RIP Tony Stark and sort of Steve Rogers. I'm betting Vision and Widow will be back.

I was assuming at some point they'd go back to 2018/19, but I guess we're stuck in 2023 for now. As some of you have mentioned, this only makes sense if Peter Parker's entire school was "snapped".

Loved seeing Jarvis (the butler), interacting with the "other" Howard Stark. (Do we assume that Dominic Cooper is ONLY 1940's Stark, and John Slatery is 1970-1991 Stark, or will Slatery still be Stark if we see him in the 40s again), Sitwell, Alexander Pierce, the kid from Iron Man 3, "grown up" Cassie (though sort of upset she didn't "do" anything), Pepper as Iron Girl (Rescue I guess? I don't read comics, I know.. I know..) and especially Jane Foster.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back