Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 3)

I've been using this timeline for a little while now, just noticed that Agents of SHIELD Season 2 Episodes 1-13 are placed in between episodes from Season 4. I think this is supposed to be Jessica Jones Season 2?
Ah yes in the viewing order, great catch thank you I'll fix that tonight!

The show never says Iron Man 3 happened beforehand, just that Extremis exists and is new. I personally find AoS canonicity to still be at the very least questionable, but I don't think this changes anything.
I'll have to double check my book, but I think it mentions Extremis happening starting in 2008 or 2009.

Yeah as far as I'm aware AoS just needs Extremis not specifically Iron Man 3 before it so that all works nicely!
In case you don't have the book, here's the part about Extremis in 2009, plus how they handle the Iron Man 1 to Iron Man 2 transition. Exactly like us! They don't mention the "6 months later" bit, however.

20231030-103548.jpg

Spring 2008 | Vanko's Rage
Anton Vanko, the researcher who was deported back to Russia in 1967 after helping Howard Stark devise early plans for the Arc Reactor, watches footage from Tony Stark's "I am Iron Man" press conference from the Moscow apartment he shares with his son, Ivan. "That should be you," his father says. Anton dies in obscurity, leaving piles of old schematics. His son Ivan was also once a promising physicist, but is now adrift and impoverished after spending 15 years in a Siberian prison for selling Soviet plutonium to Pakistan. After Anton's death, the embittered Ivan begins building his father's Arc Reactor prototype, driven by hatred of the Starks.

2008-2010 | Engineering Revenge
Ivan Vanko puts together the raw materials, tools, and data necessary to complete his father's Arc Reactor designs. While the results are not as refined as Tony Stark's, they're brutally effective. By focusing the repulsor beams through ionized plasma channels, he weaponizes the tech into a pair of lacerating whips. Once the research and design is complete, Vanko devises a plan to use his deadly weapon against Stark.

June 2009 | The Extremis Deaths
Aldrich Killian and Maya Hansen make a breakthrough in their Extremis research, using the technology that activates bioelectrical potential in the body to heal wounded soldiers, including the regrowth of lost limbs. But Extremis remains extremely volatile, and the Phase I trials cause some of their subjects to spontaneously combust in violent, fiery detonations. To cover up this deadly side effect, Killan will later devise an elaborate false narrative to disguise the explosions as terrorist attacks, creating the Mandarin persona as cover for the accidents.

Last edited:
The book is awesome, the only thing better would be if it referenced what movie/ show is being referenced. Especially for folks who aren't as nerdy as all of us here!
This is something I wish the Star Wars Timelines book did as well especially because that includes all canon comics, novels, games, etc. and can be extra confusing about what the source project is even for someone that's very familiar with the universe.

Timeline has finally been updated with Loki's latest episode and the viewing order updated by Lebnyx once again doing my job for me, which is greatly appreciated. Should be caught up now! Thank you for everyone's patience with this!

Marvel One-Shot - "All Hail the King" (Short Film - Thor - The Dark World - Blu-Ray)

On the viewing order, this is placed after I Am Groot, while it's placed directly following Iron Man 3 on the timeline.

While I'm technically against its existence since it was intended to be in black and white, shouldn't this timeline include Werewolf by Night in Color as the canonical version?
I don't see why it matters either way. The content within the special is the same, just one's in color. No matter which the timeline has, people are going to choose the one they prefer. I'm fine keeping the black and white.

The color one is canon, though. Like, the MCU doesn't exist in black and white. Logically Werewolf by Night in Color represents what visually happened better, even though I prefer the original. It's not really debatable.
I mean, I feel like Doctor Who was in B&W for the longest time and that's all one universe supposedly.
I don't think it matters how it's presented to us.

No, no. I agree that black and white media is canon. Werewolf by Night's canon status isn't affected by it being in black and white.

My point is that, since we have an official color version, that should be the one included on the timeline because it's a more accurate representation of events and it's the more recent version.

The color one is canon, though. Like, the MCU doesn't exist in black and white. Logically Werewolf by Night in Color represents what visually happened better, even though I prefer the original. It's not really debatable.
Personally I disagree. The Black and White was the original but both are canon portrayals. How the events are portrayed in film/on page are just portrayal nothing more. Zack Snyder's Justice Is Grey version is no less canon than the original Snyder cut and Logan Noir is still as canon as Logan. The event are the same just the portrayal is altered, the MCU doesn't exist in the saturated colors and stark lighting that WbN in Color used as a homage to Hammer Films Productions. That being said it could be added like Werewolf by Night/In Color or Werewolf by Night/Werewolf by Night in Color. But if one is going to stay it should be the B&W version

Personally I disagree. The Black and White was the original but both are canon portrayals. How the events are portrayed in film/on page are just portrayal nothing more. Zack Snyder's Justice Is Grey version is no less canon than the original Snyder cut and Logan Noir is still as canon as Logan. The event are the same just the portrayal is altered, the MCU doesn't exist in the saturated colors and stark lighting that WbN in Color used as a homage to Hammer Films Productions. That being said it could be added like Werewolf by Night/In Color or Werewolf by Night/Werewolf by Night in Color. But if one is going to stay it should be the B&W version
Given the content is the same, I think grouping together would be the best option.

I guess I mean to say that Werewolf by Night is canon, but it is a diluted visual representation of events on purpose, while the color version shows more information about what happened. If one wanted the most accurate visual representation of the events as they occur in the fictional universe, then the color versions are the most accurate.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Werewolf by Night. If I were to choose which version to watch, I'd watch the original. However, if I was watching through the MCU timeline, I'd watch Werewolf by Night in Color to be a completionist.

Black and white is more of a stylistic choice while the color version is what really happened.

Latest posts

Back