Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 3)

more sacred timeline continuity errors like Hank quitting shield early and the containment unit being built before the hulk showed up on the scene but again hand wavy multiverse reasons so its ok..... :(
When you go back and change the past, you create a fulcrum. You put yourself on a whole 'nother strand of spaghetti. New future. New past. It's retro-causal; echoes go both ways. Actually, it goes many ways.

If a person is stupid enough to mess with time, what you eventually end up with is this. The multiverse. Some strands run almost parallel. There will be inevitable intersections, and others that are just wildly divergent. What If...? is... is a hot mess.

Last edited:
Also I'm conflicted on where to put this episode as the only part of the episode that states it's a flashback is the pre-opening sequence,the rest of the episode can fit perfectly where it was originally supposed to be which is between episodes 3 & 4 of What If Season 1 so Chronological it would work better in season 1 and the pre opening is either ignored or just a bit of foreshadowing idk what does everyone else think?

Btw this was probably my favourite episode so far idk why I just really liked the chemistry between the characters and tony getting through to gamora felt earned and in character for both of them.

Last edited:
Place it in S2 because of the framing device they used at the start. It's like Party Thor having Ultron and then Uatu explores the history leading up to it.
I use Uatu as the Chronological viewpoint for what if…?. He didn't know about Infinity Ultron until the end of party Thor's episode and then went back to watch the events of what if ultron won to see what happened in that reality to effect this one as if you notice from Uatu's point of view from the end of Ep8 he's hiding with strange supreme while infinity Ultron and his bots are invading party thors universe which a past version of Uatu is also watching

When you go back and change the past, you create a fulcrum. You put yourself on a whole 'nother strand of spaghetti. New future. New past. It's retro-causal; echoes go both ways. Actually, it goes many ways.

If a person is stupid enough to mess with time, what you eventually end up with is this. The multiverse. Some strands run almost parallel. There will be inevitable intersections, and others that are just wildly divergent. What If...? is... is a hot mess.
1703521348162.png

At least The Flash has the excuse of deep-seated DC lore regarding the Speed Force (and the 4th Dimension/Timestream) encompassing the Orrery of Worlds as a whole. In other words, "Too much Speed Force energy magnetically draws the Earths' timelines together."

Alright! Caught up on What If finally, really enjoying this season so far! Just to make sure we're all on the same page for timeline places

01 - 2019
02 - 1989
03 - 2014 Christmas Eve
04 - 2012 (5 days after the battle of New York iirc?)
05 - 2014

I'm hoping to start adding these in the tomorrow or the day after, but wanted to just make sure I didn't miss anything before I do. Can't wait to see where the rest of the series takes us!

Last edited:
Alright! Caught up on What If finally, really enjoying this season so far! Just to make sure we're all on the same page for timeline places

01 - 2019
02 - 1989
03 - 2014 Christmas Eve
04 - 2012 (5 days after the battle of New York iirc?)
05 - 2014

I'm hoping to start adding these in the tomorrow or the day after, but wanted to just make sure I didn't miss anything before I do. Can't wait to see where the rest of the series takes us!
Episode 2 is in 1988 actually and Episode 5 could be anywhere from January to May 2014 which takes into account AoS and the Official timeline book saying spring 2014 for the winter soldier

Episode 2 is in 1988 actually and Episode 5 could be anywhere from January to May 2014 which takes into account AoS and the Official timeline book saying spring 2014 for the winter soldier
In episode two don't they say Peter was delivered to Ego in 1988 and then six months pass to when he returns putting it early 1989? I could be totally wrong but that's what was in my mind during the episode.

I was just going to put it with the days the mainline events of CAWS happened unless anyone has issue with that.

In episode two don't they say Peter was delivered to Ego in 1988 and then six months pass to when he returns putting it early 1989? I could be totally wrong but that's what was in my mind during the episode.

I was just going to put it with the days the mainline events of CAWS happened unless anyone has issue with that.
There's a 1988 title card when it shows New York in the beginning. Footage at PEGASUS shows 88-06-12, (June 12th, 1988) which doesn't really make sense as it would place Peter's abduction in December 1987. I guess we could treat it as December 6th, 1988 which would fit better. This means Peter would get abducted in June 1988, which still fits. It does seem the date is meant to be June, however, it just doesn't work.

I felt like 2x05 was flexible enough it could be anywhere as long as it was after The Avengers. Given TWS callbacks, placing it there would work.

There's a 1988 title card when it shows New York in the beginning. Footage at PEGASUS shows 88-06-12, (June 12th, 1988) which doesn't really make sense as it would place Peter's abduction in December 1987. I guess we could treat it as December 6th, 1988 which would fit better. This means Peter would get abducted in June 1988, which still fits. It does seem the date is meant to be June, however, it just doesn't work.

I felt like 2x05 was flexible enough it could be anywhere as long as it was after The Avengers. Given TWS callbacks, placing it there would work.
Okay 1988 it is then on Jun 12th evidently. Alternate universe I guess

Okay 1988 it is then on Jun 12th evidently. Alternate universe I guess
It seems the divergent point was Yondu taking Peter to Ego, so his abduction should be the same time (Peter's even wearing the same clothes). I feel like with What-If they get lazy with making sure things fit and just use it being an alternate universe as an excuse, even when it doesn't always make sense.

It seems the divergent point was Yondu taking Peter to Ego, so his abduction should be the same time (Peter's even wearing the same clothes). I feel like with What-If they get lazy with making sure things fit and just use it being an alternate universe as an excuse, even when it doesn't always make sense.
Fully agreed

Latest posts

Back