Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I think I'll wait until IW to see how those two post-credit's scenes line up - assuming neither are actual scenes ripped from IW...

You really hate breaking up the films, huh, lol?

Yeah I've been combing through as I go (only watched the first 4 so far) and making thorough notes for the wiki. In Episode 4 (there's no time jumps, they refer to things happening 3 days ago etc.), Jessica says it's summer and it's hot and humid they show people using fans and things. So unless it all goes wrong later on (The Punisher was so perfect until that "Lewis Wilson, born May 1991", "age 26" issue that had to be ignored but was frustrating), it's fitting into Summer 2017 at the moment with zero issues. I mean, it doesn't seem like it's too long since Season 1, but that's not really a problem, and Krysten Ritter did say that she thinks it's about a year after Season 1 and a couple of months after The Defenders, but she also makes it clear that she's not sure, so it doesn't really matter. I would guess June, since it's only starting to become hot, it's not clear at all in the first three episodes that it's supposed to be summer.

I'd say its probably better to start Season 2 in March or April, with the first episode showing weather requiring jackets, and shift it into May (maybe with an early heat wave immediately after the final cold spell?). April is probably better. Even early May is probably best to account for the "first Friday of the month" comment and the requirement of jackets in first episode (though its obviously warming up) and lack of leaves on the trees.

In reality, this seems to be another case of the long shooting schedule for the Netflix shows (usually lasting at least six months per season) clashing with the scripted intentions of time passing during the season. Just have to find best compromise, I guess.

It seems like a conscious decision to place it in 2017. We knew from Take a Bloody Number that the car accident was in early 2000, because Jessica's medical bills are shown to be from April 2000, but they've reaffirmed that this season, with a sticker showing Phillip lived from "1990-2000" and the certificates of death saying "Age 10, Born 1990", "Age 46, Born 1954", and "Age 44, Born 1956". With all the references to "17 years" it would be weird if they're not aware it's 2017.

Agreed.

Also, something a little bit reassuring, the artbook for Avengers: Infinity War implies it's only been 5 years since the Battle of New York, not 8+.

NICE! Thats encouraging! Thanks for posting that. Really appreciate your input!

I guess this places Infinity War in 2017, presumably not long after events of Thor - Ragnarok? It also kind of corrects the idea Homecoming implied Battle of NY/Avengers occurring in 2010 instead of 2012. Hopefully this is a sign of them realizing putting first Avengers 8 years before Homecoming causes a lot of problems, and its best to just quietly retcon the mistake.

Last edited:
Just a couple things I've noticed from Jessica Jones. Usually the expiration stickers on the cars read that they expire on "12 17." There is a close up of Hogarth's car that shows it clearly.

You guys have also noted that everyone keeps saying the events of her crash were 7 years ago...so...that.

The most telling thing I've seen is an actual date in episode three. Trish is watching a video on her laptop, a video of Coleman and in the bottom right it reads "8:36 pm 5/5/2017" placing the early parts of the season in early May. I'm not sure if there is any sort of time jump after she is
Arrested for her assault, as she is sentenced to parol fairly quickly, but it doesn't seem like a lot of time passes because what's his face is still suffering from his injuries

Great catch! Can you provide time code for that date appearance so I can watch out for it? Also, I think the scene with her being paroled occurs next day. It's unlikely Trish would've waited long to bail her out, and in such simple assault cases there isn't a prolonged trial or sentencing phase unless suspect please not guilty. A guilty plea speeds proceedings up drastically. Not sure only one night is enough in real world time, but given the accelerated "TV Time" approach often used, sometimes realism has to be suspended.

This does back up Agamotto's suggestion then that it starts in May. Guess we can consider a late slight cold spell into early May and then a sudden heat wave occurs by episode 4, which is very possible.

Awesome work, guys!

Great catch! Can you provide time code for that date appearance so I can watch out for it? Also, I think the scene with her being paroled occurs next day. It's unlikely Trish would've waited long to bail her out, and in such simple assault cases there isn't a prolonged trial or sentencing phase unless suspect please not guilty. A guilty plea speeds proceedings up drastically. Not sure only one night is enough in real world time, but given the accelerated "TV Time" approach often used, sometimes realism has to be suspended.

This does back up Agamotto's suggestion then that it starts in May. Guess we can consider a late slight cold spell into early May and then a sudden heat wave occurs by episode 4, which is very possible.

Awesome work, guys!

In episode three it is at 34:04 and is at the bottom right of Trish's laptop.

In episode three it is at 34:04 and is at the bottom right of Trish's laptop.

Nice, thanks. I've only watched the first episode so far but it alone covers 5 days, and with however many episodes 2 and 3 cover until getting to that point, that means JJ Season 2 begins in late April. I'll narrow down specific days and dates using the May 5 date to back track and date those first few episodes.

This also means at least the early part of JJ Season 2 occurs between Agents of SHIELD 4x12 and 4x13, though odds are it'll run beyond that.

Last edited:
You really hate breaking up the films, huh, lol?

In my own personal viewing order (based HEAVILY on what you guys have crafted here), I place the films according to where they end. So if Thor's post-credits scene takes place AFTER GOTV 2's Groot scene, then I would watch Thor after Guardians.

Mainly because they run into Thanos' ship, and presumably this occurs just before Infinity War where the Guardians find Thor floating in space (and they'd been traveling towards Earth for at least several months or more at that point). I mean, I guess its possible he's been floating in vacuum for months, but that seems unlikely. The GotG Vol 2 adolescent Groot scene can occur really anytime before Infinity War, just somewhat close to it based on Groot's age.

Not only that, but we know we'll see Thanos and/or the Black Order storming the ship and taking the tesseract from Loki, beating up Hulk, leaving Thor in space, etc.

The Ragnarok scene was clearly meant to lead directly into IW. The GOTG 2 scene was just a gag with no narrative connection to IW. Just Groot's character model.

I think I'll wait until IW to see how those two post-credit's scenes line up - assuming neither are actual scenes ripped from IW...

The Guardians scene was a joke and was definitely directed by Gunn. I think Taika did the Ragnarok one, not the Russos, but I could see it being recycled footage.

Also, something a little bit reassuring, the artbook for Avengers: Infinity War implies it's only been 5 years since the Battle of New York, not 8+.

Good find. Not putting much faith in it, since it's just a blurb, but we'll see.

NICE! Thats encouraging! Thanks for posting that. Really appreciate your input!

I guess this places Infinity War in 2017, presumably not long after events of Thor - Ragnarok? It also kind of corrects the idea Homecoming implied Battle of NY/Avengers occurring in 2010 instead of 2012. Hopefully this is a sign of them realizing putting first Avengers 8 years before Homecoming causes a lot of problems, and its best to just quietly retcon the mistake.

Straight up, I'd pay good money if Marvel re-released Homecoming with the time tags switched to "4 years later" and "6 months later" lol.

I somehow completely missed the 5/5/2017, thanks! Around 43:03 in Episode 6 though (where I'm at now), a tablet says "11:43 Wednesday, July 5".

Working my way through and part of my notes includes finding potential gaps for any time jumps (there's a couple in Episode 1 where any amount of time could pass, and a couple in the first few episodes where if necessary, you could slide in a day or two), but though I haven't completed my notes past Episode 4 yet (I note any lines or props I catch on the first viewing but then skim through each episode afterwards to write down each individual scene and put it into proper order, and I haven't done that yet for 5 and 6), I'm very sure that there's no way 2 months have passed between Episode 4 and 6. I'll get back once I've finished the season, plus I'll send those Daredevil/Luke Cage crossover notes.

And yeah, I wouldn't put much into that blurb either, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
There's a break of a few days in between JJ 2x03 and 2x04. The eviction notice given on first day of episode 2x03 indicates they have 30 days to move out. At beginning of 2x04 the super mentions they only have 25 days left before being evicted. 2x03 runs from May 4-May 6 (with the 30 days notice given on May 4), meaning 2x04 must begin on May 9 (so 3 day break).

Not enough to account for the conflicting May and July dates given only few episodes apart, unfortunately.

Then again, there is conflicting dialogue, when Jessica mentions that its only been 3 days since Trish's encounter with Max (its actually been 4), which occurred on May 3. So, guess the 25 days thing can be chalked up to the super underestimating...?

Another date is shown in 2x05 at the 8:44 mark, showing Thursday, June 1 as date on a tablet.

It seems quite clear the Netflix shows illogically assign dates based on the present time of filming, which unfortunately flies in the face of the scripted dialogue and day/night cycle itself.

Between the three different hard dates we've been given, and fact the first episode seems to pick up in spring (due to slightly colder weather, trees still largely being without leaves), I'd say most logical approach is to take the May 5 date as best option to work from, since it more believably allows for the slightly colder weather in late April (when show should begin based on day/night cycle--April 28 to be exact) and also allows for the warmer temps and summer reference (even though May is still spring, late spring, and not summer, we can assume Jessica was just mis-characterizing as summer due to the heat).

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon this: http://www.newsweek.com/jessica-jones-season-2-timeline-order-how-long-defenders-835820

The headline is that Melissa Rosenberg said that JJ2 is 6 months to a year after Defenders, which lines up perfect with May 2017. The rest of the article tries to track the whole Netflix timeline, but fails miserably as it uses interviews with actors as its only source of evidence.

They do have a point that Defenders treated JJ1 as somewhat recent, but you have to ignore all that.

Just stumbled upon this: http://www.newsweek.com/jessica-jones-season-2-timeline-order-how-long-defenders-835820

The headline is that Melissa Rosenberg said that JJ2 is 6 months to a year after Defenders, which lines up perfect with May 2017. The rest of the article tries to track the whole Netflix timeline, but fails miserably as it uses interviews with actors as its only source of evidence.

They do have a point that Defenders treated JJ1 as somewhat recent, but you have to ignore all that.
So many articles get it so wrong. They don't only just stick to actor statements, but when they mention the shows, they incorrectly quote them. Like, I've seen a couple of articles say that Worst Behavior says "Two months ago", but it doesn't, it says "Months ago". Then that Iron Fist was "1 month ago" which was something Jessica Henwick said once but she also said "several months" in an interview, "a couple of months" at Comic-Con, Finn Jones said "two months" in Empire magazine, and the show itself says "months". They give no source on Mike Colter saying Jessica Jones was 2 months before Luke Cage: Season 1 - I know that he said "3-5 months" on the Empire magazine podcast, and the show itself tells us it's at least 5 months when he says he worked at Pop's for 5 months. That's just the mistakes they make in terms of their evidence, let alone the whole not taking into account date evidence.

I haven't yet finished the season, but I wondered if AKA Facetime might give a hint. I know of the May, June, and July dates, you guys are leaning towards May. In the episode, Malcolm's friend from university says, "Three more months till my master's." I've found it difficult to Google and I'm not good on master's - I assume she's referring to it being three months until exams, not three months until it's awarded. Does anyone who knows more about master's degrees know what sort of time this would hint towards? I'd imagine that it hints the season is more like May than June or July.

Hale says it's been "months" since the season 4 finale. Still doesn't give us an idea of how long it's been since Fitz froze himself. But that specifies that it can currently be no later than April 2018 at the absolute latest.

Yeah. Its honestly not something the actors are really focused on. Nor are the producers given months seemingly passing weather and dialogue-wise, along with day/night cycle, yet the scripts have episodes picking up one right after the other. That's just a side effect of the length of time to shoot the seasons, though I wish they'd wise up and allow for more time passing between episodes (not even all, maybe just a few) to account for the obvious passage of time outdoors and weather wise...

So many articles get it so wrong. They don't only just stick to actor statements, but when they mention the shows, they incorrectly quote them. Like, I've seen a couple of articles say that Worst Behavior says "Two months ago", but it doesn't, it says "Months ago". Then that Iron Fist was "1 month ago" which was something Jessica Henwick said once but she also said "several months" in an interview, "a couple of months" at Comic-Con, Finn Jones said "two months" in Empire magazine, and the show itself says "months". They give no source on Mike Colter saying Jessica Jones was 2 months before Luke Cage: Season 1 - I know that he said "3-5 months" on the Empire magazine podcast, and the show itself tells us it's at least 5 months when he says he worked at Pop's for 5 months. That's just the mistakes they make in terms of their evidence, let alone the whole not taking into account date evidence.

I haven't yet finished the season, but I wondered if AKA Facetime might give a hint. I know of the May, June, and July dates, you guys are leaning towards May. In the episode, Malcolm's friend from university says, "Three more months till my master's." I've found it difficult to Google and I'm not good on master's - I assume she's referring to it being three months until exams, not three months until it's awarded. Does anyone who knows more about master's degrees know what sort of time this would hint towards? I'd imagine that it hints the season is more like May than June or July.

I imagine it would follow a normal college semester, with Fall semester running from Aug/Sept - Dec and Spring Semester running from Jan - May/June. If its currently in May that'd mean she's talking about getting it around August, which COULD work if she is completing some final credits in Summer semester that many universities and state colleges have, which run from May/June - Aug/Sept. Graduation would be soon after finals and classes end, so presumably sometime in mid-May to mid-June, following a normal Fall-Spring semester order, though many students nowadays do take summer courses to finish extra credits needed.

It certainly discounts the July date (think you said it was in 2x06?) since that would be an October completion, which doesn't really line up with usual semester dates in US (which vary slightly, maybe by up to a month, but for most part are pretty uniform depending on state/county).

EDIT: Just found this:

It can take anywhere from two semesters (or about 9 months from start to finish) to three years of full-time study to get a master's degree. Common lengths are 2 semesters, one complete calendar year (typically two semester + a summer term at the beginning or end), four semesters (two academic years) or six semesters (three academic years), although there are other configurations. Why so much variation? Well, the length of time it takes to complete a master's degree depends on several key factors.

https://www.prepscholar.com/gre/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-a-masters-degree/

So, that backs up the May placements based on her just about to finish and doing a summer term at end, with it likely finishing in August, three months from May.

Hale says it's been "months" since the season 4 finale. Still doesn't give us an idea of how long it's been since Fitz froze himself. But that specifies that it can currently be no later than April 2018 at the absolute latest.

Yeah, I like to think Fitz left and everyone returned in November, 2017. That lines up with the dating system of monkey faces Fitz used while imprisoned for six months, putting him leaving in November. I like to think they returned not long after to November, 2017, soon after the events of Thor - Ragnarok to account for the mention of an Asgardian sighting in recent AoS episode. Its entirely possible thats another Asgardian, but I think its more likely a subtle nod to events of Thor - Ragnarok, specifically when Thor and Loki are on Earth, immediately after Strange drops Loki into the portal (presumably the sighting occurred of Thor as he headed to the Sanctum). This is in line with last season's subtle mention of Doctor Strange's ending battle. They're still trying to reference and integrate with the films, they're just trying to be more subtle about it and not force it down the general audience's throat, whereas the hardcore fans like us pick up on it. That's my theory anyway.

Last edited:
Updated for JJ 2x06-2x07.

Episode 2x07 occurs almost entirely in 2005, five years after the accident, with the very end picking up in May, 2017 immediately after previous episode.

In episode 2x08 Jessica mentions the Raft, the super powered prison shown in Civil War. Nice bit of tie-in to the larger MCU there.

In episode 2x09, at the 33:22 mark, an ad on the back of a bus has Stan Lee's picture and "Forbush and Associates got me $5.2 Million. Call Forbush Now! Get What You Deserve!"

Last edited:
Finished Jessica Jones: Season 2 and I don't think there's anything further. I agree about May.

In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 5, Episode 12 - The Real Deal, at the 19-minute mark, a monitor says 12-??-2017. I think the middle number is 06, it's hard to tell.

Finished Jessica Jones: Season 2 and I don't think there's anything further. I agree about May.

In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 5, Episode 12 - The Real Deal, at the 19-minute mark, a monitor says 12-??-2017. I think the middle number is 06, it's hard to tell.

Nice! Just checked and its definitely 12-06-2017 06:43:05.

That helps confirm the return in early December, which aligns with occurring soon after Thor - Ragnarok likely happening in November (given 5x12 seems to pick up probably the next day after 5x11 since the drone is exploring the site of the explosion at end of last episode and Coulson asks if Jemma has examined Fitz to make sure sure he wasn't injured).

It also backs up idea the reference to the Asgardian sighting was likely referring to Thor in the NYC scene of Thor - Ragnarok (likely after Strange dropped Loki into the portal on the street and Thor was on way to Sanctum, since they only mentioned one Asgardian), which would've occurred anywhere from several days to few weeks before (but not more than a month). I'm quite sure its definitely a reference to the film, due to "An Asgardian, spotted in the city" (ie, New York City).

Last edited:
More proof of JJ in April/May. My friend who lived in NY for many years noticed a shot around the 42-43 minute mark of episode 1
right after Jeri learns about her ALS.
The transition shot is of the Empire State Building with green lights. They change the lights of that building almost daily, but last year on May 1st, it was Green in honor of Philosophy's "Hope & Grace" Initiative & Mental Health Month. So that is right on the money.

Last edited:
Was it ever said how old Jessica was when the car crash happened? I noticed she was old enough to get into bars and clubs in the 2005 flashbacks, so she'd have to have been 15-16, unless she was using a fake.

Was it ever said how old Jessica was when the car crash happened? I noticed she was old enough to get into bars and clubs in the 2005 flashbacks, so she'd have to have been 15-16, unless she was using a fake.

Yes, in Season 1 they show the height chart in her house stops at 14 and they talk about how the family did it as a tradition. Kilgrave in AKA WWJD? also says something along the lines of, "Just imagine, 14-year-old Jessica spying on the neighbours." So she was 14 at the accident, so she's about 19 in AKA I Want Your Cray Cray. She does also mention that she's in college and then that she's dropped out, so that fits.

Latest posts

Back