Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Since there are no clear dates so far in C&D, we'll have to use estimates of the characters ages in the flashbacks and present day (which isn't difficult based on them being in high school in present day). I'll use the child actors who played the roles in the flashbacks to gauge intended age of the characters in those flashbacks, while also accounting for the fact they filmed this stuff probably close to a year ago.

So, Maceo Smedly who plays young Tyrone was born in Feb, 2007, and the Pilot episode was filmed in Feb 2017 so the actor was ten years old, likely indicating young Tyrone is around 8-10 years old in the flashbacks (child actors often play roles a couple years younger than their actual age). The actress who plays young Tandy (Rachel Ryals) doesn't have a birth year listed on IMDB, but according to her bio she began acting at 8, and her filmography only has a few roles, the earliest releasing in 2018. Given the filming date of early 2017, I'd imagine the actress is also between 8-10 years old at the time of filming. Not exact details, but helps narrow things down at least.

As for what year the present day stuff is set, I can't say. 2016? 2017? 2018? As TalonCard pointed out its during high school basketball season, but that doesn't narrow things down much. Practice begins in early September for Louisiana high school sports, according to this link, as all other estimates are drawn from (there's no reason to think the dates have drastically changed in a few years, depending on when exactly C&D Season 1 begins).

Link

This means C&D can begin really anytime during school year before March, so September to February (even March in case of finals).

I'm watching the first episode now and at 1:05 the front end of a white Lexus can be seen. Does anyone familiar with autos recognize the model and possible year of that vehicle? that could at least provide and earliest possible placement for the flashback scenes.

The flip phone Talon mentioned that Tandy is using (at around 1:45 mark) could also help narrow down likely intended placement, least a bit. Tandy's dad also uses a Blackberry-like device shown very quickly at the 3:37 mark.

At the 7:43 mark, Tandy's father's work ID badge shows date ranges for when its issued and when it expires (presumably, its a bit out of focus). Doing my best to read it, I THINK it says ??MAR08 to ??MAR10 (I can't read the first couple of numbers that correspond to the specific day). I think it may be March 29 on second date, but can't make out the first one. Doesn't really matter anyway as it doesn't specifically denote the date of the flashbacks, but at least it narrows it down.

This indicates the flashbacks occur sometime between March 2008 and March 2010.

Given Tandy is getting into a club underage, I'm going to assume Tyrone and Tandy are in their senior year of high school.

At around the 20:30 mark, one of Tyrone's friends mentions she's throwing a party in the woods to celebrate them making state, likely placing the first episode in February (since State Championships are usually held in late February to early March, and its indicated they had just completed regular season or district playoffs). February is definitely the most reasonable spot to place the show's first episode.

As to whether thats meant to occur in 2016, 2017, or 2018, I can't say. I am however inclined to lean toward 2017 so as the show's timeline runs concurrent with the filming timeline, since thats often how the Netflix shows approach their timelines (well, sort of).

At 21:15 Tandy is walking along a road and the trees are all leafless in background, indicating winter time. Even though its set in and filmed in Louisiana, apparently it gets cold enough for leaves to fall off trees (that happens to some degree even down here in sweltering Florida, though our winters rarely dip below 40 degrees F here). This backs up the February month placement, especially as thats when that shot was most likely filmed (since first episode began filming in early Feb 2017).

At 31:13 a newspaper is shown, but the date isn't visible, or may not even be on the paper itself, another tactic I've noticed a lot of TV shows utilize is removing dates altogether in places they'd normally be, to avoid specific timeline placements for whatever reason--have a feeling thats the case here, in combination with the "Years Later" tag instead of a specific number of years.

At 31:48 a specific date is shown on a security camera feed, 2007-04-18, indicating the Roxxon oil rig disaster that gave Tyrone and Tandy their powers occurred in April 18, 2007 (which conflicts with the security badge of Tandy's father, but I'm taking the security camera date over that since its clearly visible and they had to pick a specific date for the cam feed as they always could've just used a cam shot without a date).

In episode 2, at 4:17 mark, Tyrone's father mentions "Eight years ago, fate pushed us down hard." This is obviously a reference to Tyrone's brothers death, placing the flashbacks in 2007 based on the camera date, and eight years later would place C&D sometime in 2015... we'll see.

At around 24:35 mark of episode 2, one of Tyrone's teammates mentions they're going to state finals "next week", indicating the season begins a bit after mid February, with first episode covering a few days, and episode 2 picking up following day sometime after Feb 20 or so.

At 36:20 mark of Episode 2, in a dream sequence, on a milk carton Tyrone and his brother's pictures reflect they've been missing since June 6, 2008 (6/6/08), which may be the intended date of Tyrone's brothers death and the oil rig explosion, which would put present day events either in 2016, or Feb 2017 (same as filming period), which would still be 8 years after Billy's death to tie in with Tyrone's father mentioning it was 8 years ago (or 8 years and 8 months, meaning his father wasn't rounding up to nearest year, which makes sense in that case).

Just a few things I noticed that haven't already been listed

In the first episode, Tyrone pulls over a taxi, on the windshield is an inspection sticker that expires "11 17." In Louisiana inspection stickers can be purchased for one or two years. Meaning at most, the show would occur after November of 2015, so I'm definitely on the on the early 2016 band wagon. I know it goes against the state championship argument, but it could even be argued that it could be December of 2015 to enforce both pieces of evidence (I'm not sure about the visions though, those dates and the cam date are so incredibly different, so that is really odd to me.)

Tyrone while he is talking to his priest has a conversation in the form of Priest: "You know what I would tell you?" Tyrone: "The same thing you have been telling me for three years." Although this does not prove it completely, this could be a tell that Tandy and Tyrone are in fact juniors in high school.

Also, just general information if it helps the pilot was filmed in February of 2017 and filming for the remainder of the show picked up in July of 2017.

Just a few things I picked up watching it, most of it had been listed already, so I really had to look. I'm excited to watch more of it, I'm actually pretty surprised how much I like it. I thought it would be good, yeah, but it's REALLY good, so I'm excited to keep watching.

Just a few things I noticed that haven't already been listed

In the first episode, Tyrone pulls over a taxi, on the windshield is an inspection sticker that expires "11 17." In Louisiana inspection stickers can be purchased for one or two years. Meaning at most, the show would occur after November of 2015, so I'm definitely on the on the early 2016 band wagon. I know it goes against the state championship argument, but it could even be argued that it could be December of 2015 to enforce both pieces of evidence (I'm not sure about the visions though, those dates and the cam date are so incredibly different, so that is really odd to me.)

I hadn't noticed that but I'm more inclined to side with utilizing real world time frames for such thing when it doesn't conflict with anything onscreen. While it does with that sticker, that could be seen as an unavoidable byproduct of when they were filming as opposed to intended timeline setting.

I'll admit I find the fact it's potentially set a few years in the past a bit odd, but there may be a reason for that (an intended time jump between first and second season, possibly). But I'm inclined to take the security cam footage over the vision/dream sequence thing, as the security cam date is pretty absolute, whereas the vision/dream thing could be chalked up to an unreliable narrator situation due to it being a dream or nightmare or reoccurring fear of Tyrone's mother.

Tyrone while he is talking to his priest has a conversation in the form of Priest: "You know what I would tell you?" Tyrone: "The same thing you have been telling me for three years." Although this does not prove it completely, this could be a tell that Tandy and Tyrone are in fact juniors in high school.

Yeah, I took it to mean either junior or senior. Junior as in he's in his third year (though then technically it'd only be 2 and a half years or so, if he's still in mid junior year, but he could be rounding up). Or it's senior year, mid way through, and he's just referring to 3 completed years (though it'd be three and a half specifically).

Also, just general information if it helps the pilot was filmed in February of 2017 and filming for the remainder of the show picked up in July of 2017.

Just a few things I picked up watching it, most of it had been listed already, so I really had to look. I'm excited to watch more of it, I'm actually pretty surprised how much I like it. I thought it would be good, yeah, but it's REALLY good, so I'm excited to keep watching.

I enjoyed it too. It was surprisingly well done. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Tyrone's date of birth in HD - 8/19/00 (I got it very wrong).

This is problematic, because it means a) Tyrone is 6 in the prologue, which is very young, and b) Tyrone is a junior in September 2016-June 2017, and a senior in September 2017-June 2018, meaning we're probably February 2017 or February 2018 - which is difficult, because of the dialogue placing it earlier. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Interesting tweet from the Captain America Twitter promises to give a look at the cinematic timeline. The link in the tweet is giving me a 503 error, but here's the tweet in case that gets fixed shortly.

https://twitter.com/CaptainAmerica/status/1005857106912792581?s=19

Here are a few Tweets about it. They are deleted, but I archived the Google cache:

http://archive.is/HzhnL

http://archive.is/8ZcJ9

http://archive.is/zFcac

I've visited the site, and right now, it looks like it's just the movies in reverse order of release date:

https://disneymovierewards.go.com/articles/marvelstudios10?cmp=DMR|VANITY|ARTCL|HUB|Marvel10|

https://disneymovierewards.go.com/a...RO|EXPLORE-TIMELINE|DMR|ARTCL|MARVEL|TIMELINE

So, I was at Barnes and Noble today and while I was there I picked up and read through the Marvel Studios 101 book. And for the most part, they stay away from dates, but when passage of time is mentioned there are A LOT of issues......this forum would have a field day with it. Some examples include: Tony being attacked "three days" after getting his award. Even though the movie gives us a clear "36 Hours Earlier." The chronological timeline at the beginning is, I kid you not, the order of release just Captain America is now at the front. Guardians Vol. 2 is shown to be set after Doctor Strange. It's a damn mess. I only post this to advise not spending a ton of money on it, because from what I can see.....it's......well, not good.

The chronological timeline at the beginning is, I kid you not, the order of release just Captain America is now at the front. Guardians Vol. 2 is shown to be set after Doctor Strange. It's a damn mess. I only post this to advise not spending a ton of money on it, because from what I can see.....it's......well, not good.

Here's a picture of it, at the top of this article:

https://disneynerds.com/2018/05/16/need-help-understanding-the-marvel-universe-book-review/

img_3043-e1526145267895.jpg

Last edited:
Tyrone's date of birth in HD - 8/19/00 (I got it very wrong).

This is problematic, because it means a) Tyrone is 6 in the prologue, which is very young, and b) Tyrone is a junior in September 2016-June 2017, and a senior in September 2017-June 2018, meaning we're probably February 2017 or February 2018 - which is difficult, because of the dialogue placing it earlier. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Yeah but that also shows his older brother's birthday as 2002, making his older brother somehow two years younger (which makes no sense).

Given those occur during that dream/vision sequence, I think it's best to chalk those dates up as something along the lines of an unreliable narrator type approach.

So, I was at Barnes and Noble today and while I was there I picked up and read through the Marvel Studios 101 book. And for the most part, they stay away from dates, but when passage of time is mentioned there are A LOT of issues......this forum would have a field day with it. Some examples include: Tony being attacked "three days" after getting his award. Even though the movie gives us a clear "36 Hours Earlier." The chronological timeline at the beginning is, I kid you not, the order of release just Captain America is now at the front. Guardians Vol. 2 is shown to be set after Doctor Strange. It's a damn mess. I only post this to advise not spending a ton of money on it, because from what I can see.....it's......well, not good.

Lol.

In a way, I'm kind of glad they're staying away from doing an official specific timeline, only because I know it'll end up probably creating more problems than it solves.

What a poopy timeline.
This 10 Years website timeline is a real world timeline, not in-universe at all. Like 64SuperNintendo was saying, it's just purely the release dates.

I hope this isn't the one that Feige was talking of
It's not, because Feige said, "I love the Star Wars timeline, with the Battle of Yavin, everything is either After the Battle of Yavin, Before the Battle of Yavin. We're doing that, and the origin point for us is Tony saying, "I am Iron Man". So everything will be years after that, years before that - to the Big Bang, which is where it starts! It will look very cool and complex like Doc Brown on a chalkboard by the time it's published." Basically, by the sounds of it, it will look like a more complex version of the 2012 one.

But, as DIrishB said about the watch order in the book:
Lol.

In a way, I'm kind of glad they're staying away from doing an official specific timeline, only because I know it'll end up probably creating more problems than it solves.
My thoughts exactly. Don't want this official timeline, because it will inevitably cause problems. The thing is, as ridiculous as it might initially sound, we probably know more about the ins and outs of the MCU timeline than Feige does. He's implicitly said that they're more focused on quality than timeline accuracy, and has also explicitly said that they usually don't have dates in their films except the Guardians of the Galaxy films, which isn't actually the case - many of the films do have dates, as we know. As well as this, I'm sure that Marvel Studios aren't monitoring the timeline details in all the TV shows the way we do.

I wonder what's going on with that official timeline. Back in October when he mentioned it, he was talking about how it will justify "8 years later". Now, as we saw for 9 months, many people online had a tendency to not actually go back and rewatch the old films/research for their supposed explanations of how ""8 years later" does work!" If they had released the timeline back then, the Internet would have, frustratingly, mostly just gone along with it. "Yup, that was the explanation that was being discussed online. Confirmed now."
But with Infinity War directly and explicitly contradicting "8 years later", the people online who only focus on the latest bits of evidence have now also been mostly convinced that "8 years later" is a mistake. The majority of these casual viewers online will just go with the easiest explanation. "6 years? OK, so it is usually real time then. That makes things easier." It seems to be the way most of the Internet has gone, with only a few people now still insisting "8 years later" was correct.
But now, if Marvel release this timeline, it's kind of lose-lose. While we knew that it would have been wrong, like I said, most people would probably have accepted it. But now, if they release it, it will raise more questions. Either they don't justify "8 years later", and thus Feige contradicts his previous kind-of-promise, but get the timeline hopefully mostly right - or they do go ahead and justify it, contradicting Infinity War, make things unnecessarily complicated again, and highlighting their inconsistencies in their films.

If it's still happening - and I doubt Feige would have said it if there were a chance of changing their minds - then seeing as it's not out yet with Infinity War, it will probably now not be coming until next spring with Avengers 4. Let's just hope it's not too bad.

Wow, that's... Glad I didn't order the book for the hope of good timeline information outside of the Iron Man 3 confirmation. And where even is Spider-Man: Homecoming? It goes from 15) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 to 16) Thor: Ragnarok...

Thanks for checking out the book and letting us know.

Yeah but that also shows his older brother's birthday as 2002, making his older brother somehow two years younger (which makes no sense).

Given those occur during that dream/vision sequence, I think it's best to chalk those dates up as something along the lines of an unreliable narrator type approach.
This is what I was saying to the user who posted the HD images, because it does indeed look like "02" for Billy. It's slightly possible it's "82", but that's not ideal either, with the actor being 17, but this making Billy 25 in the scene.

I responded to the user:
"Billy should have been born around February 1990 based on the actor being about 17y2m old when they filmed the pilot.

I think what's happening here is that the idea is, on June 6, 2008, a little over a year after Billy's disappearance, Adina Johnson is still anxious, remembering the loss of her first son over and over (but viewing him as an innocent child, her little son she cared for so deeply), and is seeing her second son follow suit - her worst fear come true. This goes hand-in-hand with her comment, "I'm afraid that even if you do everything perfectly, I'm gonna lose you." She sees the missing symbols and they both show the current date because that's when she's worrying, and Billy's says he was born in 2002 I guess because it would make little sense to say 1990 but also show him as a child on the missing date of "6/6/08", with the height and weight and appearance of a child, the way she is seeing him. So the date of birth is more working back from how he is appearing in her mind than Billy's actual date of birth. However, just because this clearly cannot be Billy's actual date of birth does not mean Tyrone's is not real, because Tyrone genuinely was a child in 2008, and it could well be his real date of birth. If it is though, it could cause some problems, and [...] maybe it should be dismissed. I wouldn't dismiss it yet, but the fact that it's just a vision and has a date of birth for Billy that doesn't make sense both allow some leeway if it needs to be ignored. It's the reason I haven't added the date to Tyrone's page - it's not necessarily factual yet. I'm kind of hoping someone will be more explicit at some point in the episodes about how old they are/when they were born/when the flashbacks were (I mean, the 2007-04-18 was very clear, but just to reiterate it)/when it is now. Any of those would be helpful."
So I pretty much agree. I wouldn't count it out completely yet, but it's not necessarily firm evidence.
Cloak & Dagger's a bit all over the place with its timeline after those first 2 episodes. Let's hope it clears up.

In the third episode of Cloak and Dagger, we see a drivers license for Rick Cotton, the spoiled rich kid Tandy fended off in the premiere. He was born September 29, 1994, but the actor's birthdate doesn't appear to be online, so it's hard to see if there's any chronological indicator there.

TC

Nice, thanks for heads up... does anyone know if its also on Youtube? Just wondering for sake of "official title" for it, if it even has one. Otherwise I'll use the quote listed with it.

Agamatto, you make a really good point about Tyrone's mom's vision. I like that theory.

In the third episode of Cloak and Dagger, we see a drivers license for Rick Cotton, the spoiled rich kid Tandy fended off in the premiere. He was born September 29, 1994, but the actor's birthdate doesn't appear to be online, so it's hard to see if there's any chronological indicator there.

TC

Well, with the current day events of the show seemingly occurring in February 2015 (it could be Feb, 2016 if Tyrone's dad was SEVERELY underestimating), that'd make him 20 (in 2015) or 21 (in 2016).

What I really don't get about this is the list of films on the side. Why have prefixed Infinity War with "Marvel Studios'"?

Perhaps they are titling their films that now so the GA can differentiate between Sony and them. They seem to keep distancing themselves more and more. It used to be "Marvel" but now it's "in association with Marvel"

Black Panther Chapter 1: "The Story of Home" (0:00:00 - 0:00:30)

Shouldn't this be in 1990s since it is Killmonger being told this as a child?

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this? Might be from that same "Avengers 101" book. Saw an Avengers book at Walmart and looked through it, but I don't remember what it was called. Anyway, it justifies why Thanos gave Loki the scepter. It's the reason I always thought myself, he didn't know it had an infinity stone inside.

"The Mind Stone was first introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in The Avengers back in 2012. Thanos, unaware of what it actually was, granted use of the stone to Loki to help him in his proposed conquest of Earth."

That blue coloring did the trick, I guess.
20180611_180409.jpg

Last edited:
Scott has been under house arrest for two years.

[video=youtube;94LMvchi7lY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94LMvchi7lY[/video]

Either the movie takes place in 2018 (possibly concurrently with Infinity War), or the scene is near the end of the movie after a timeskip.

Also:

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...-the-wasp-from-the-other-marvel-movies-753273

Fandango: Since Ant-Man and the Wasp is the first MCU movie post-Infinity War, the biggest question fans have is when does this movie take place? Is it pre-snap? Is it post-snap? Or a little bit of both?

Peyton Reed: Well, I would be shot by a Marvel sniper if I revealed too much information. But all I can say is the movie takes place post-Civil War, and the timeline with regard to Infinity War will become apparent as you watch the movie. That's all I can say.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for heads up... does anyone know if its also on Youtube? Just wondering for sake of "official title" for it, if it even has one. Otherwise I'll use the quote listed with it.
It might be unlisted on YouTube like the Meachum New York Bulletin and Chikara Dojo videos. I had a look, but the best I can do is that on Facebook the video is called "Rand Cares".

What I really don't get about this is the list of films on the side. Why have prefixed Infinity War with "Marvel Studios'"?
Perhaps they are titling their films that now so the GA can differentiate between Sony and them. They seem to keep distancing themselves more and more. It used to be "Marvel" but now it's "in association with Marvel"
I think it's more because the book is for Infinity War, so they're kind of highlighting the film as special.

Has anyone seen this? Might be from that same "Avengers 101" book. Saw an Avengers book at Walmart and looked through it, but I don't remember what it was called. Anyway, it justifies why Thanos gave Loki the scepter. It's the reason I always thought myself, he didn't know it had an infinity stone inside.

"The Mind Stone was first introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in The Avengers back in 2012. Thanos, unaware of what it actually was, granted use of the stone to Loki to help him in his proposed conquest of Earth."

That blue coloring did the trick, I guess.
20180611_180409.jpg
That's interesting. I think the 101 book is a bit more simplistic in its layout, but it might be one of the other new information books - there was another one which was a bit more paragraph-y like that. The "2012" I don't see as timeline evidence, I think they're just saying the film came out in 2012 - but we have plenty of evidence for The Avengers being 2012 anyway. But the mind stone... I always assumed that he knew he had the mind stone, and he lent it to Loki to help him get another one. Like, "Here, borrow this, and return it to me along with the space stone." While some might argue that Thanos would be more reluctant than that to give away a stone, I find the idea of him lending it to help get a 2nd much more plausible than the one guy who's hellbent on gathering all six infinity stones - which are supposedly scattered across the vast universe - happening to have already had one, and didn't even realise it.

Also, DIrishB was right, Nathan Bowen's ID does start in 08, not 06. Specifically, it's "30MAR08" to "29MAR10", so unfortunately, it is indeed an inconsistency. Also, it says "NATHAN BOWENS", not "NATHAN BOWEN". So it's a pretty bad prop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back