Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Possibly a misinterpretation from that audience member. We'll wait and see if it's true when the movie comes out.

I've seen a lot of people corroborate that story and it fits with the backstory we know he has. It begins with the aftermath of The Avengers and then flashes forward 'eight years' towards Civil War and Homecoming.

What's weird is this just confuses things even further since Vision uses the 'eight years' quote to reference Iron Man specifically. If that's true, then that would mean Iron Man and The Avengers both came about the same year which just doesn't seem right.

If Marvel actually has a 'timeline scroll' for the MCU, this would seem to be a major oversight and I don't buy that it is. This was done intentionally but idk what it's supposed to mean.

Last edited:
"Eight years" after The Avengers seems like such an obvious mistake. I don't know, but if that's the case, I hope they fix in the home video release. (Greg Weisman ran into a similar problem when the animators got a couple dates mixed up in Young Justice. So not even a continuity god like him is safe from timeline flops.)

Looks like the MCU may continue to not follow real-time in future movies, at least when it comes to Spider-Man:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-next-spider-man-film-will-be-the-civil-war-of-marve-1796402155

I think Feige may have made a mistake in that quote; if Peter is in 10th grade in Homecoming (as mentioned in various interviews, we'll see if it's mentioned during the film itself), then he would have been in 9th grade, or freshman year in Civil War. But we'll see.

Here's a chart showing how the timeline would work out if there's a Spider-Man movie for each year of high school:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/6jhfma/timeline_showing_how_peter_parkers_mcu_film/

*snip*

So I guess Homecoming is 2016/2017, Spider-Man 2 is 2017/2018 (with Infinity War and probably Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel taking place in between the previous two) and Spider-Man 3 is 2018/2019?

Maybe that would contradict the earlier Feige quote about Infinity War taking place four years after Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (if Spider-Man 2 indeed takes place after both Infinity War movies), but it's possible that they either fight Thanos early on in 2018 and Spider-Man 2 takes place later in the spring, or Feige was estimating/speaking in general terms.

Either way, some food for thought regarding the timeline.

Just saw this.

Yeah, I can see Infinity War and "Avengers 4" taking place in very-late-2017. I like that the events likely won't be so 'spread out' post-Civil War.
If that were the case, Thor Ragnorak would either happen in the summer of 2017 or right before Infinity War; with Black Panther and Ant-Man & Wasp likely in early 2017.

We'll see.

Last edited:
The only solution I can come up with that doesn't involve retconning the MCU's dates (both onscreen dates and dialogue) is that maybe they originally intended to have the Vulture's origin tie in with the first Iron Man movie (since Damage Control was mentioned in it on a news ticker), and after they changed it to the Battle of New York, they forgot to change the caption saying 8 years later.

Either that, or they're changing the timeline by setting the movie a few years in the future so his trilogy would end in real-time, around the same time as his senior year of high school would take place. But there's more evidence for The Avengers being in 2012 and Civil War and Homecoming being in 2016 than there is against, so changing it makes the timeline unnecessarily complicated.

If future movies take place near the time of their release year, and therefore conflict with the Spider-Man sequels, then I think the safest option would be to just place them from 2016-2019. We should wait and see.

Last edited:
I hope they used your's and not the crappy one from the MCU wiki. :)

How is it exactly crappy? Because, I far as my concern, we deal better with dates than with you. And it is very disrespectful from you to despise others work. Who clearly does a better job, I work in the MCU wiki, and I AM PROUD OF HOW WE WORK... Also, it is a WIKI for a reason, right?? Do you think the Marvel Studios guys will focus on other timeline that is not the one the guys from the wiki did??

And our timeline is not crappy, it works well, and we think before doing silly things... Now 6 months after "I am Iron Man" is 3 years... oh yeah, pretty good work from yours...

How is it exactly crappy? Because, I far as my concern, we deal better with dates than with you. And it is very disrespectful from you to despise others work. Who clearly does a better job, I work in the MCU wiki, and I AM PROUD OF HOW WE WORK... Also, it is a WIKI for a reason, right?? Do you think the Marvel Studios guys will focus on other timeline that is not the one the guys from the wiki did??

You are a motherfuc*ing idiot.

And our timeline is not crappy, it works well, and we think before doing silly things... Now 6 months after "I am Iron Man" is 3 years... oh yeah, pretty good work from yours...

Is it that hard to understand that it took Vanko a really long time to build his arc reactor? Do you seriously think that montage scene took place in a day? Then he was able to infiltrate the race on a whim? No, that's what he spent six months on, and 2.5 years figuring out the arc technology.

You are a motherfuc*ing idiot.

Is it that hard to understand that it took Vanko a really long time to build his arc reactor? Do you seriously think that montage scene took place in a day? Then he was able to infiltrate the race on a whim? No, that's what he spent six months on, and 2.5 years figuring out the arc technology.

Chill guys. Craig you can get banned for name calling. For good reason. There's no need for that.

tumblr_osh34xjPG81u7vukeo1_540.jpg

If it is as good as your grammar, I don't hold out much hope.

Part of the issue seems to be that we assumed that the "8 years since Iron Man" reference in Civil War meant that Marvel was ignoring the references in Iron Man 2 to the events of Iron Man occurring six months before, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Now it seems that they're also assuming the Avengers took place within six months of Iron Man 2, in order for both the Spider-Man title card and Vision's dialogue to be correct-ish. Sounds like it's a matter of pushing Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor, Avengers and Thor: The Dark World back on the timeline than anything else. Something like:

(Jan-May)
Iron Man
(October)
Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor

(April)
The Avengers

Thor: The Dark World

Civil War/Spider-Man: Homecoming

I realize this would mean tossing most of the on-screen dates, and the TV shows suddenly have a huge time gap to deal with (though this could be beneficial for the Netflix shows), and we're still a year off with the Homecoming title card/Vision's dialogue references, but this seems to be the direction the MCU is headed.

TC

Part of the issue seems to be that we assumed that the "8 years since Iron Man" reference in Civil War meant that Marvel was ignoring the references in Iron Man 2 to the events of Iron Man occurring six months before, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Now it seems that they're also assuming the Avengers took place within six months of Iron Man 2, in order for both the Spider-Man title card and Vision's dialogue to be correct-ish. Sounds like it's a matter of pushing Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor, Avengers and Thor: The Dark World back on the timeline than anything else. Something like:

(Jan-May)
Iron Man
(October)
Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor

(April)
The Avengers

I realize this would mean tossing most of the on-screen dates, and the TV shows suddenly have a huge time gap to deal with (though this could be beneficial for the Netflix shows), and we're still a year off with the Homecoming title card/Vision's dialogue references, but this seems to be the direction the MCU is headed.

TC

But in Agents of SHIELD, Talbot says the Chitauri invasion was in 2012, and Tony's birthday is canonically in May, so the events of Iron Man 2 (and The Incredible Hulk and Thor) have to take place around that time as well.

Like I said earlier, if future movies confirm the new timeline so as to accommodate Spider-Man's studies in high school, then we may have to either overhaul it completely or have to go with a Year 1, Year 2, etc. approach for the present-day events of the movies and TV shows.

If not, and the MCU's future movies continue with the already-established timeline (and leaving the dates in the Spider-Man movies as the only things contradictory) then we should keep the timeline as is and ignore the dates from the Spider-Man movies, IMO.

Last edited:
But in Agents of SHIELD, Talbot says the Chitauri invasion was in 2012, and Tony's birthday is canonically in May, so the events of Iron Man 2 (and The Incredible Hulk and Thor) have to take place around that time as well.

Plus Iron Man 3 going from 1999 to "13 years later". Cap being frozen for "almost 70 years". And a million other things.

Like I said earlier, if future movies confirm the new timeline so as to accommodate Spider-Man's studies in high school, then we may have to either overhaul it completely or have to go with a Year 1, Year 2, etc. approach for the present-day events of the movies and TV shows.

If not, and the MCU's future movies continue with the already-established timeline (and leaving the dates in the Spider-Man movies as the only things contradictory) then we should keep the timeline as is and ignore the dates from the Spider-Man movies, IMO.

Yeah, I'm just gonna blame Sony and ignore the screw up.

I'm going to update for the Thor - Ragnarok: Prelude issues once all four issues are out, so I can add them in by page number between chapters of Incredible Hulk and Thor - The Dark World.

Part of the issue seems to be that we assumed that the "8 years since Iron Man" reference in Civil War meant that Marvel was ignoring the references in Iron Man 2 to the events of Iron Man occurring six months before, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Now it seems that they're also assuming the Avengers took place within six months of Iron Man 2,

But thats impossible given Fury specifically mentions in Avengers that the events of Thor occurs "last year". That means at least a year between IM2/Thor/IH and Avengers.

in order for both the Spider-Man title card and Vision's dialogue to be correct-ish. Sounds like it's a matter of pushing Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor, Avengers and Thor: The Dark World back on the timeline than anything else. Something like:

(Jan-May)
Iron Man
(October)
Iron Man 2/Hulk/Thor

(April)
The Avengers

TC

I think its better to take the Occam's Razor approach and not throw baby out with the bathwater.

Hopefully the 8 years later tag is simply a mistake they'll fix before US release, but if not, I'd rather all the other conflicting dates previously established override that single one, else we'll have to do away with years entirely and utilize a "Year 0, Year 1, Year 2, etc" approach.

We'll see how it plays out. But don't think we should ignore numerous other specific time references (even just accounting for dialogue and other time stamps, Avengers must occur in 2012 since IM3 picks up a few months (or six months depending on interview) afterwards, and its flashbacks to New Year's Eve 1999 are dated as 13 years before. Fury mentions events of Thor occurred a year before (meaning IM2 and IH also occur a year before). Sam mentioned in Civil War they'd been looking for Bucky for a couple years, not to mention the tie-in episodes of AoS and how those date themselves based on the show's internal timeline (as well as in regards to the overall MCU timeline since it often ties in with the films).

How is it exactly crappy? Because, I far as my concern, we deal better with dates than with you.

Except you don't. You take, to me, a very lazy approach by just assigning them as occurring on or around their release dates, even when it conflicts with onscreen dates. You also then break said rule to utilize correct approach for say, GotG Vol. 2, in 2014 instead of 2017 (its release date).

I wouldn't call that a better approach. Its subjective anyway, you're entitled to prefer yours.

And it is very disrespectful from you to despise others work. Who clearly does a better job, I work in the MCU wiki, and I AM PROUD OF HOW WE WORK... Also, it is a WIKI for a reason, right?? Do you think the Marvel Studios guys will focus on other timeline that is not the one the guys from the wiki did??

Again, subjective. In my opinion, your approach is lazy and often conflicts with itself (again, GotG Vol 2 is a perfect example).

Further, I assure you, the powers that be have a sort of series bible and existing timeline already, I very much doubt they're checking your wiki, no offense. It is a great tool for the fans, however, and commend you on the work you've done. I just question the conflicting logic with approach you take to placements that conflict with onscreen dates, prop or otherwise.

He says, immediately after this:

And it is very disrespectful from you to despise others work.

Not silly at all. Necessary due to the retcon established by Fury's Big Week and fact Avengers establishes Thor, IM2, and Hulk occurred a year before. Meanwhile the wikia version you worked on has multiple mistakes directly contradicting onscreen dates merely to meet your illogical criteria for release date alignment.

Different approaches.

Getting really tired of you constantly chiming in and ripping on this version. As far as I know none of the members here are doing so over on the wikia Talk pages, are they? I'd ask you to offer same courtesy. You're within your rights to defend yourself, but you decided to attack my work in the process (I didn't insult you, to remind you). Further, if this timeline is so riddled with mistakes, why are you still checking in on it (apparently often based on response time to Craig's initial post)?

Seriously, stop the drama. Its a damn fictional timeline.

Last edited:
How is our approach for GotGV2 wrong? Have you ever read our timeline articles, and the reference beyond? Don't think so.

And yes, it is explictily mentioned in Homecoming that has happened 8 years between The Avengers and Homecoming... And we are doing a write up for Phase One that will we publish over the next few weeks. Good work with your "timeline"

So I've thought about it a bit, and here's my rationalization for the new timeline, if it's taken as the new canon for future films (which hopefully it won't, seeing as how it contradicts a lot of what has been established).

I'm aware this timeline features several contradictions, such as the amount of time Stark was captured by the Ten Rings (the timeline states it was 9 months, even though Stark in the movie says it was 3 months).

But:

-The "8 years later" tag might be referring to all the years that spanned between The Avengers and Homecoming, plus the year The Avengers takes place. So: Year 1= The Avengers, Year 8= Homecoming?

-These posters for Stark Expo taken at a filming set implies the year 2018. Assuming this is from Homecoming, and assuming it's for the Stark Expo of the year the movie takes place, then that implies a 2018 setting for Homecoming.

-Ross' line about the Avengers being active for 4 years without supervision may be referring to it being 4 years since The Winter Soldier happened and SHIELD was disbanded, and maybe Falcon referring to searching for Bucky for 2 years means that they either searched for him for 2 years and then stopped looking, or that they searched for him in increments of time that added up to 2 years.

So:

2009: Iron Man (fits with the above assumptions, plus the timeline from the art book stating that Iron Man took place 67 years after the Tesseract is found in Norway (March 1942 in Captain America: The First Avenger)

2010: The Incredible Hulk / Iron Man 2 / Thor

2011: The Avengers

2012: Iron Man 3

2012 or 2013: Thor: The Dark World (depending on whether you interpret Darcy saying Thor had been gone for 2 years was either since the first Thor movie or The Avengers, the 2013 date may be more likely because of Agents of SHIELD)

late 2013/early 2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2014: Guardians of the Galaxy Vols. 1 and 2

2017: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Zemo says he planned his revenge for over a year) / Ant-Man

2018: Captain America: Civil War / Spider-Man: Homecoming

Apart from this contradicting Iron Man 3 taking place 6 months after The Avengers, as well as some hard dates, I don't think this contradicts the timeline for the movies too much, but it does heavily contradict spoken dates and spans of time as depicted in Agents of SHIELD.

So yeah, hopefully this is just a one-time error and we don't have to change the timeline.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back