Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I have gone back and forth on this because both placements of AMATW have merits to me. Putting it before makes people ask questions which is good, and it does spoil the ending of Infinity War which is bad, but at the same time it spoils Avengers 4 anyway with the time vortex line from Janet. I'd rather not spoil things if I can help it in my watches, but it hurts my OCD...A LOT to have Infinity War, then backtrack in time to AMATW just to save the narrative on that mid credits scene. It's like the Slingshot episodes. 90% of them happen before season 4 starts, but in order to save on the spoilers of Daisy and Yo-Yo, you put them after the ghost rider arc in a watch. This might actually be the first time I split up a movie and its credits in my guide but I'm still undecided.

I've had time to think about it, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with A&W (including the credits scene) being before IW on the rewatch list.

If it had come out before IW:
they could have kept the same credit scene, but just never cut back to the Pym family's ashes, leaving Scott's Quantum abandonment a mystery. Then maybe revisited the scene in IW or A4 to show that they were in fact snap victims.

Agreed. I will be watching A&W before IW for similar reasons. I get the whole "palette cleanser" debate, but I feel that's for this specific moment in time. When we have the entire series on Blu Ray and marathon, that won't matter and people will want to get to the next thing, that being either Captain Marvel (not sure if that film will contain present day book-ends or not) or Avengers 4.

Agreed. I will be watching A&W before IW for similar reasons. I get the whole "palette cleanser" debate, but I feel that's for this specific moment in time. When we have the entire series on Blu Ray and marathon, that won't matter and people will want to get to the next thing, that being either Captain Marvel (not sure if that film will contain present day book-ends or not) or Avengers 4.

Even if it doesn't have present-day bookends (I'm sure it will), I think it'll feel too out of context before Iron Man 1. I can only see it working between IW and A4, or maybe before IW. We'll see.

Last edited:
I'm actually hoping Captain Marvel is 100% set in the 1990s so it serves as a prequel to all the films, but I'm 99% sure that won't be the case.

The way I see it is the entirety of Ant-Man and the Wasp occurs, a few days or weeks maximum pass, then events of IW leading up to Thanos' snap, which coincides with Ant-Man and the Wasp mid credit scene when everyone else disappears, then Fury/Maria Hill post credit scene from Infinity War, and finally the Ant-Man and the Wasp post credit scene with ant playing drums.

As for the IW scene where Thanos wakes up and views the sun, I'll have to rewatch the film when its out on Bluray but wasn't all of that set within the Soul Stone? If so time may not pass as normal and it could be happening concurrently or immediately after the snap. I forget so I'll have to rewatch when it comes out on BR/DVD.

As for Captain Marvel, it could go either way. I have a feeling the film very well could have bookends set in present day, but I honestly think it's more likely the film will begin and end in early 1990's (probably 1993 or 1994 since Fury and Coulson have specifically been said to be de-aged 25 years using CGI) and it's mid or post credit scene will be set in present day and serve as a response to the IW post credit beeper scene, with her getting the message and returning from... wherever she is.

Regarding Black Widow (from the THR report):

Johansson's Black Widow is reportedly set before the events of the first Avengers movie and sees the actress reprise the role of the Russian spy turned superheroine.

The way I see it is the entirety of Ant-Man and the Wasp occurs, a few days or weeks maximum pass, then events of IW leading up to Thanos' snap, which coincides with Ant-Man and the Wasp mid credit scene when everyone else disappears, then Fury/Maria Hill post credit scene from Infinity War, and finally the Ant-Man and the Wasp post credit scene with ant playing drums.

As for the IW scene where Thanos wakes up and views the sun, I'll have to rewatch the film when its out on Bluray but wasn't all of that set within the Soul Stone? If so time may not pass as normal and it could be happening concurrently or immediately after the snap. I forget so I'll have to rewatch when it comes out on BR/DVD.

Personally, I think these scenes are separated my mere seconds or minutes and it's seemingly impossible to tell which film ends before the other. Heck, the scene with the Ant playing drums very well could be taking place during the Nick Fury scene.

Personally, I think these scenes are separated my mere seconds or minutes and it's seemingly impossible to tell which film ends before the other. Heck, the scene with the Ant playing drums very well could be taking place during the Nick Fury scene.

Like I said earlier, the emergency broadcast system wouldn't be that fast. So it's gotta be several minutes, if not hours afterward.

And I just remembered, I don't recall where exactly we stood on the time zone break down of everywhere when the snap happened... but so far we know it was daytime in Wakanda, daytime wherever Fury was (we're assuming Atlanta, and the sun was not directly overhead, so either morning or evening), and midday in California. I don't know if all of that jives.

Almost forgot AOS. I remember the lighting looking like morning when Quake and Graviton fought in Chicago. Then everyone's still around hours later for the final scene in Tahiti, which should be about a 12 hour difference from Wakanda.

So it actually all lines up decently assuming IW is post daylight savings and somewhere in late-April/early-May. The Snap Map looks like:

Wakanda 7 PM
Atlanta 1 PM (this conflicts with the clock in the car, which I've yet to catch but various others have reported it to be in the 10 o'clock hour. You could say they were actually somewhere in the PST timezone if you really wanted to make it work. Either way the sun is a problem, but easily ignored)
San Francisco 10 AM
Tahiti 7 AM

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, the emergency broadcast system wouldn't be that fast. So it's gotta be several minutes, if not hours afterward.

Does anyone know how long it would take for the EBS to be sent out post snap?

There's not a hard number anyone's gonna come up with that isn't totally arbitrary. But I'm just saying it would take several minutes for whoever the FEMA officer in charge of activating that system is to realize that people turning to dust was a widespread global event with planes dropping out of the sky and gridlock on every interstate.

They wouldn't just hit the button because a couple people around them vanished, the reports of chaos would have to trickle in first.

There's not a hard number anyone's gonna come up with that isn't totally arbitrary. But I'm just saying it would take several minutes for whoever the FEMA officer in charge of activating that system is to realize that people turning to dust was a widespread global event with planes dropping out of the sky and gridlock on every interstate.

They wouldn't just hit the button because a couple people around them vanished, the reports of chaos would have to trickle in first.

The answer to "which film ends before the other" regarding IW and AatW will decide which one I view before the other in my chronological viewing order so I need to find this out!

Eh, not really. The emergency broadcast being in place indicates at least some time has passed since the snap.

^This.

The answer to "which film ends before the other" regarding IW and AatW will decide which one I view before the other in my chronological viewing order so I need to find this out!

I still think Ant-Man and the Wasp should be watched immediately before Infinity War.

Eh, not really. The emergency broadcast being in place indicates at least some time has passed since the snap.

^This.

I still think Ant-Man and the Wasp should be watched immediately before Infinity War.

Oh I agree, but I want to know which film technically ends chronologically first.

Um, the movies?

Don't read this if you don't want spoilers for the latest two MCU movies. It's quite obvious that the majority of Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place before or possibly during the majority of Avengers: Infinity War. Signs point to before, because even though the Langs/ Pyms etc live in California, I'm sure it would be hard to ignore a 10 foot purple dude and his minions attacking New York, Africa and wherever Vison and Wanda were hiding. I'm sure there had to be reports of giant donut spaceships or SOMETHING. So sometime close to the end of Ant Man 2, or anytime before all three post credits, you see Thanos do the snap. People dissappear. The disappearing, technically has to happen almost simultaneously, because, y'know, there was only one snap. It really can go either way in regards to seeing Nick Fury or the Pyms disappearing first, but I was just thinking, I'd probably like the order of Pyms then Fury, because during Fury's scene, you really see the aftermath of 50% of Earth vanishing, but then, what's this? His "page" to Captain Marvel goes through, and maybe there's hope after all? Then, some time passes and you see that silly ant playing drums while the TV plays the emergency broadcast signal, which as stated, had to be after reports of disappearances coming in.

Um, the movies?

Don't read this if you don't want spoilers for the latest two MCU movies. It's quite obvious that the majority of Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place before or possibly during the majority of Avengers: Infinity War. Signs point to before, because even though the Langs/ Pyms etc live in California, I'm sure it would be hard to ignore a 10 foot purple dude and his minions attacking New York, Africa and wherever Vison and Wanda were hiding. I'm sure there had to be reports of giant donut spaceships or SOMETHING. So sometime close to the end of Ant Man 2, or anytime before all three post credits, you see Thanos do the snap. People dissappear. The disappearing, technically has to happen almost simultaneously, because, y'know, there was only one snap. It really can go either way in regards to seeing Nick Fury or the Pyms disappearing first, but I was just thinking, I'd probably like the order of Pyms then Fury, because during Fury's scene, you really see the aftermath of 50% of Earth vanishing, but then, what's this? His "page" to Captain Marvel goes through, and maybe there's hope after all? Then, some time passes and you see that silly ant playing drums while the TV plays the emergency broadcast signal, which as stated, had to be after reports of disappearances coming in.

OK what about the scene where Thanos looks out over the sunset? Could that be later?

OK what about the scene where Thanos looks out over the sunset? Could that be later?

The impression I had gotten from that shot was that, after snapping his fingers, Thanos teleported to the inside of the hut in the other planet, and that he simply stepped out to view the sunrise/sunset, and that that scene takes place a few short moments after the snap.

But on this thread, some users said that scene takes place after Thanos resting. So it depends on how you look at it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back