Marvel to be bought by Disney

Wonder what this will mean for Universal Studios Marvel Island. I love Marvel and I love Disney, but I'm worried about this.

Well, this is a weird thing to wake up to....I'm going back to bed now.

I have no idea what will specifically come of this, but I really doubt we'll see any huge, outrageous changes to the comics. Reading the comments on the article, it seems like people are (predictably) overreacting. For one thing, I don't think big corporate oversight has ruined DC. They've been restrained at times in the interest of film properties and whatnot but that kind of thing seems rare. And it's not as if Marvel is some lil indie publisher run by a bunch of progressive young artists. It already is a big corporate entity that churns out movies and toys and TV shows.

Last edited:
So wait... if this goes through.. that means Steve Jobs will be part owner of Marvel.

That aside, I think John Lassiter would do wonders with Marvel's properties.

Think of it this way, Marvel always had to worry about the industry's bottom falling out a lot more than DC, because DC had a large corporation's funding (TimeWarner). Now, Marvel will be on an equal playing field.

Personally, I'd love to see Steve, John and Ike Perlmutter, shake up the Marvel management group (read: fire Quesadilla).

Think of it this way, Marvel always had to worry about the industry's bottom falling out a lot more than DC, because DC had a large corporation's funding (TimeWarner). Now, Marvel will be on an equal playing field.

Personally, I'd love to see Steve, John and Ike Perlmutter, shake up the Marvel management group (read: fire Quesadilla).

I love Quesada. (also "Quesadilla" fails as an insult. He's Cuban, not mexican. ).Besides, they said they weren't doing anything too drastic.

I wonder, does this mean Marvel characters can show up in Kingdom Hearts?

Ehh, Disney's too big and versatile an operation for this really to worry or excite me until we literally see what they do with it. It's too hard to tell in advance. Right now the main thing to me is this....

Last edited:
I think the negatives and fears in this buyout are pretty obvious. I think the positives can be a little more subtle. The Pixar one has already been hinted at by Disney but something I thought of while discussing this with my brother is that Disney has the means and the resources to purchase back the rights to all those marvel properties that are at other film studios. Just a thought.

I love Quesada. (also "Quesadilla" fails as an insult. He's Cuban, not mexican. ).Besides, they said they weren't doing anything too drastic.

I wonder, does this mean Marvel characters can show up in Kingdom Hearts?

Wasn't intending it to be an insult, it's something I heard Bendis calling Quesada at Mid-Ohio a couple years ago, and it stuck in my head. As to hating him, I don't, I actually used to be a big fan of his art, but as an EiC, he's not all that good. There are better options in the House of Mouse, and the Bullpen. I'd like to se Quesada go back to being an artist, and have a more seasoned Editor take over EiC. Kinda wish Mark Gruenwald was still alive.

Fair enough.

Still, acording to C.B. Cebulski.

Not much more I can say right now. More info coming soon. We're told it's like when Disney bought Pixar... everything Marvel stays as is.

Also, JQ is pretty happy about the whole thing. Then agian he's a share holder(if i'm not mistaken) which means he's getting paid

Well, this is certainly shocking... I go away for a week, and when I get back, the site has a completely different name, and Marvel is on its way to becoming a Disney entity.

It's understandable to have a negative gut reaction, but let's think about this reasonably:

Disney and Marvel have separate brand identities. Disney-owned studios have no doubt generated plenty of income for the conglomerate by making quality fare for adult audiences, possibly with R-ratings. (I'd have to research this, but i'm certain Buena Vista Pictures, at least, is a Disney subsidiary.)

As far as I can tell, all this buyout means, for now, is that Disney will be reaping the profits off Marvel's House of Ideas. Nothing more.

I would imagine that it will probably mean larger promotional budgets for Marvel's all ages products, in particular. No harm done there.

And hopefully, it eventually leads to *greater* funding for smaller imprints like Icon, so that books like Criminal can reach a wider audience.

My only real worry about creative freedom would be in areas where the products might clash with established Disney brand identity. Specifically, i'm talking about stuff like SMLMJ and Runaways, which could be marketed (in theory) as "transition" series for younger readers, who grew up on the Disney material produced from 2000 onwards… well, superficially, anyway.

However, Runaways (in particular) has plenty of elements that are decidedly anathema to the Disney approach: casual teen sex, implied weed use, etc. If those aspects get toned down appreciably over the coming months, i'd start to worry about the influence of The Mouse on The Bullpen.

For now, it appears to be live and let live. But it definitely gives me that nervous "what now?" feeling after a major change in status quo. Honestly, there's more drama and suspense in this real life situation than there has been in ANY "event" comic for the last decade or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back