Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness #1 (SPOILERS/DISCUSSION)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Great issue! Awesome fun! If the series continues at this rate, it'll out-do even the first MZ series by Kirkman. The black humor, sarcasm, and general tone of the issue is perfect.

Its revealed through flashbacks that Ash apparently died (if you read Army of Darkness #13 its covered there) and went to the gates of Heaven (which may or may not be "just another dimension). There, he encounters Zombie Sentry (apparently he can even open a dimensional gateway to Heaven) who hits him so hard he knocks him back to life, into the soon-to-be-Zombie-verse.

It basically picks up just before the arrival of Zombie Sentry from another dimension. Ash falls from the sky and lands in a garbage bin, and encounters DD and Thunderball (from Wrecking Crew). An old homeless woman becomes possessed and tells Ash this world will soon die at the hands of the Deadites. He accidentally helps Thunderball get away, then goes to enlist the aid of the Avengers against the Deadites. They don't believe him, but check out the city anyway, just in time for the zombie outbreak. Ash, being viewed as a crazy loon by the Avengers, is tied up in Spider-Man's webbing and taken away from the scene by him. As this happens, the Avengers get obliterated by Zombie Sentry (who's apparently done eating souls in Heaven and now moving onto the people and heroes of Earth). The issue ends with Spider-Man being bitten by zombie Cap, and dropping Ash into the same dumpster he fell in at the beginning. He's swarmed by Zombie Avengers, and the issue ends on this cliffhanger.

It was okay.

There were some good lines, particularly by Spidey, but also by Ash, which is a nice change of pace for anyone who reads the regular Army of Darkness series, which is terrible and unfunny.

The art was really good, but I'm not sure it will fit the tone of the Zombie universe when it comes to that.

I look forward to the rest of this series, and even though I'm the biggest continuity nut around (yes, you heard me), I'm surprisingly giddy about Ash being around during this whole thing.

It was okay.

There were some good lines, particularly by Spidey, but also by Ash, which is a nice change of pace for anyone who reads the regular Army of Darkness series, which is terrible and unfunny.

Completely agree. Loved the bit of banter and joking we got. And also agree the AoD ongoing by Dynamite (as well as the minis) all sucked as hard as possible.

The art was really good, but I'm not sure it will fit the tone of the Zombie universe when it comes to that.

I don't know, from the little we've seen so far, it seems to work. It seems more alive than the art in MZ, which might kind of detrat from the tone and fact they're zombies, but I like it. It reflects movement and action better, in any sense.

I look forward to the rest of this series, and even though I'm the biggest continuity nut around (yes, you heard me), I'm surprisingly giddy about Ash being around during this whole thing.

Have to agree.

Except I'm a much bigger continuity freak, so stop stepping on my toes. The Timeline Master is my title, none other. ;)

The way I look at it is it can be read and understood without the AoD ongoing, so thats how I'm setting up the timeline. Even though I've been very completist-minded in terms of the inclusion of the Zombie and Squadron universes in the timeline, I won't be including the AoD comic series or the Evil Dead movies...cuz it just wouldn't make much sense in regards to the rest of the timeline. They're separate properties, and thats different than just alternate dimensions in the same multi-verse (like Zombies and Squadron).

I'll approach the upcoming 616 Black Panther issue (#28 I think) which crosses into the Zombie-verse the same way. It'll be included if its actually the same Zombie-verse from the MZ comics, but if its just a 616 version of the Zombie-verse, it won't be. It should be obvious from the comic which it will be, but until it comes out I can't say for sure.

I'll approach the upcoming 616 Black Panther issue (#28 I think) which crosses into the Zombie-verse the same way. It'll be included if its actually the same Zombie-verse from the MZ comics, but if its just a 616 version of the Zombie-verse, it won't be. It should be obvious from the comic which it will be, but until it comes out I can't say for sure.

That's definately the way to go. I'm 99% positive it will be "our" Zombie universe (Zombie Galacti clinches it for me), but it would obviously be a poor idea to include the 616 universe and everything else into the timeline.

However, my big fear here is if a Zombie or more go back to 616.

Just how often did Hudlin consult Kirkman on this story?

Judging by how often he consults back issues, I'm guessing none.

That's definately the way to go. I'm 99% positive it will be "our" Zombie universe (Zombie Galacti clinches it for me), but it would obviously be a poor idea to include the 616 universe and everything else into the timeline.

Forgot about the mention of the Zombie Galactus. Pretty much answers that question.

However, my big fear here is if a Zombie or more go back to 616.

Just how often did Hudlin consult Kirkman on this story?

Judging by how often he consults back issues, I'm guessing none.

Indeed. It'll be a sticky situation. I just hope it doesn't **** everything up even more than has already been done.

Venom Melendez said:
I think you mean Bruce Campbell

I don't know about Joe, but I definitly meant Ash, not Bruce Campbell...talk about breaking the fourth wall.

Totally. That post was way too meta for me.

I dunno i just like to think that Bruce campbell saves us from zombies on a day to day basis

Plus nobody takes campbell seriosly...wich is why the avengers ignored him

...but hats just me

Ash was written perfectly- I could imagine Campbell reading all the lines and it cracked me the **** up.

This issue was excellent. I hope it has a nice Premiere HC.

Am I right, luke cage is power man becuase he's skin is invunerable...but as a Zombie he loses and arm ...so his skin isn't invunerable...so is he a super zombie or just a regular one.

I really hope Ultimate Doom does not appear in the black panther crossover. I don't read black panther, but I've never been crazy about the character and I heard right now it's struggling a bit that's why they're doing like the marriage to storm and now those two are the new sue and reed richards...I've dropped Fantastic four until they come back....I think the crossover will be bad, I think the idea of a crossover is worse than reintroduction of xorn. And if I have to read it to understand what happens with ultimate doom....I'll write my own fan-fic substitute and consider it canon

Am I right, luke cage is power man becuase he's skin is invunerable...but as a Zombie he loses and arm ...so his skin isn't invunerable...so is he a super zombie or just a regular one.

I really hope Ultimate Doom does not appear in the black panther crossover. I don't read black panther, but I've never been crazy about the character and I heard right now it's struggling a bit that's why they're doing like the marriage to storm and now those two are the new sue and reed richards...I've dropped Fantastic four until they come back....I think the crossover will be bad, I think the idea of a crossover is worse than reintroduction of xorn. And if I have to read it to understand what happens with ultimate doom....I'll write my own fan-fic substitute and consider it canon

Ultimate Doom shows up post-Zombies eating Galactus

Both Ash and the New FF arrive before then(though they wont meet)

Well, I don't know if he will or not, but since the solicitation specifically mentions the Zombie Galacti it obviously takes place after they eat Galactus.

Hmmmm

Hopefully Ult doom is busy doing other stuff

Latest posts

Back