Marvel's Earth-616 Timeline

Just to be sure, you know of the existence of this, right?

Just to be sure, you know of the existence of this, right?
Yup.

I'm far from an expert haha. In fact I don't even know much about the main post FF#1 portion of Marvel in terms of chronology because I read everything. I'm currently doing a read-through of DC's and Marvel's entire Golden Age, with me being in mid 1942 in DC and in 1945 in Marvel (I'm playing catch-up to Marvel with DC, so I'm focusing more on that now). It'll be a loooong time I reach the Silver age haha.

I did read through the entire Hyborian and Western order of Marvel though. If I see some errors or if I have any input in those fields I'll let you all know, but I'm too busy sadly to actively contribute here. I wish you all the best with this one.
wait, are you using the "complete Marvel Reading order" website? pretty sure I read your comments on that site, although Im currently stalled at 1942 for both Marvel and DC...

wait, are you using the "complete Marvel Reading order" website? pretty sure I read your comments on that site, although Im currently stalled at 1942 for both Marvel and DC...
both Dc and Marvel comics are reallyyy old companies. Consider that the 1st Superman Comic came out in 1938. Even before the war.

every four years following the release of F4 #1 is a marvel year
Y1 Nov 1961-Oct 1965 2008
Y2 Nov 1965-Oct 1969 2009
Y3 1969-1973 2010
4 1973-1977 2011
5 1977-1981 2012
6 1981-1985 2013
7 1985-1989 2014
8 1989-1993 2015
9 1993-1997 2016
10 1997-2001 2017
11 2001-2005 2018
12 2005-2009 2019
13 2009-2013 2020
14 2013-2017 2021
15 2017-2021 2022
16 2021-2025 2023

every four years following the release of F4 #1 is a marvel year
Y1 Nov 1961-Oct 1965 2008
Y2 Nov 1965-Oct 1969 2009
Y3 1969-1973 2010
4 1973-1977 2011
5 1977-1981 2012
6 1981-1985 2013
7 1985-1989 2014
8 1989-1993 2015
9 1993-1997 2016
10 1997-2001 2017
11 2001-2005 2018
12 2005-2009 2019
13 2009-2013 2020
14 2013-2017 2021
15 2017-2021 2022
16 2021-2025 2023
That's correct, aside for year One, year One Is the only year that Is made of our 3 years. It's cos canonically the fantastic four happened during the fall of year One, basically year One Is tecnically 4-5 months long, so having 4 years Is too much.

Curious to ask, but would you be interested in having some help with placements for the more older comics (namely horror/sci-fi stuff from comics like Marvel Tales, Journey into Mystery, Adventures into Terror, Tales of Suspense etc... and war stuff from comics like the 1950s war comics or Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos)?

Curious to ask, but would you be interested in having some help with placements for the more older comics (namely horror/sci-fi stuff from comics like Marvel Tales, Journey into Mystery, Adventures into Terror, Tales of Suspense etc... and war stuff from comics like the 1950s war comics or Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos)?
totally yes, thanks.

That's correct, aside for year One, year One Is the only year that Is made of our 3 years. It's cos canonically the fantastic four happened during the fall of year One, basically year One Is tecnically 4-5 months long, so having 4 years Is too much.
no, it has never worked like that since they introduced sliding. each marvel year isnt from january to december, it's month one to twelve.

year one month one starts the moment the F4 are contacted by the cosmic rays beginning sliding time, so month one is november and twelve is the subsequent october

also any specific references, even to seasons of the year, are topical references that shouldnt be assumed to be consistent through sliding time

no, it has never worked like that since they introduced sliding. each marvel year isnt from january to december, it's month one to twelve.

year one month one starts the moment the F4 are contacted by the cosmic rays beginning sliding time, so month one is november and twelve is the subsequent october

also any specific references, even to seasons of the year, are topical references that shouldnt be assumed to be consistent through sliding time
I thought about this before, but like I explained in point 1 of the Thread's introduction, basically some writers doesn't believe in the existance of the sliding timeline, and they write stories set in Earth-616. (I am excluding the early stories cos they couldn't know how that would continue) The examples are Marvels, Doom 2099, 9/11 event, The Road to Civil War (in the congress Tony talks about the first half of the 2000s as past years). This is basically a DCAU more complicated. The Sliding timeline exist, as it exist our Earth (our world) perception of the matter, if we go with road #1 and we ignore the dates stated or the presence of the URSS, Climate reference etc. We basically are saying that 90% of Earth-616 are semi-canon or non-canon stories, and doing this what will remain in Earth-616? We can go with road #2, so we have all the dates like in our time and characters will be 90s years old even if they appear young, so this can't work eather. That's why I proposed road #3. The sliding timeline exist, and 15 years passed from the perspective of Earth-616 inhabitants, but from our point of view the F4 Origin happened in 1961. Also in my timeline I'm following Our perspective to make things simpler, since I would have to find Months in the comics, and like you sayed it's impossible, cos if we stay to determine what is true to the sliding timeline and what is not we will loose centuries before even write one thing, also you can see the passage of months even years where certain heroes doesn't do nothing, that is to taken as OUR Earth Perspective, for Earth-616 POV they were inactive for a couple of weeks at most, and all of this is also why I'm not taking in consideration months into doing the Year structure, for leave it simple, if you think about it 12/4 = 3 so 1 of our year is 3 circa 3 months, using your timeline contruction will mean that year one is made of 4 years. Using mine we have 1961-1963, so we already skipped a year, plus 1961 is basically made of 2 comics (The Birth of the F4 and the genesis of future crime fighter Ant-Man) so it could be considered part of 1962, so we came down to 2 years basically that can amount to at maximum of 6 months, it's something that's more belivable with year one time between F4's birth and 31st December ????. In conclusion, I know what marvel stated and I take into consideration their word, for sure, but like I sayed a lot of time in the MCU thread, these words have to make sense, so that's why you see that, it's a mixure of "making sense" and "Understandable for new audience". This is an answer that I reach after 3 years of thinking about how really the passage of time work and can be controlled by the authors for Earth-616. What do you think, mr @ScottishRyzo ?

P.S. Not attacking you, just making my point clear. Also Thank you for pointing this out.

I thought about this before, but like I explained in point 1 of the Thread's introduction, basically some writers doesn't believe in the existance of the sliding timeline, and they write stories set in Earth-616. (I am excluding the early stories cos they couldn't know how that would continue) The examples are Marvels, Doom 2099, 9/11 event, The Road to Civil War (in the congress Tony talks about the first half of the 2000s as past years). This is basically a DCAU more complicated. The Sliding timeline exist, as it exist our Earth (our world) perception of the matter, if we go with road #1 and we ignore the dates stated or the presence of the URSS, Climate reference etc. We basically are saying that 90% of Earth-616 are semi-canon or non-canon stories, and doing this what will remain in Earth-616? We can go with road #2, so we have all the dates like in our time and characters will be 90s years old even if they appear young, so this can't work eather. That's why I proposed road #3. The sliding timeline exist, and 15 years passed from the perspective of Earth-616 inhabitants, but from our point of view the F4 Origin happened in 1961. Also in my timeline I'm following Our perspective to make things simpler, since I would have to find Months in the comics, and like you sayed it's impossible, cos if we stay to determine what is true to the sliding timeline and what is not we will loose centuries before even write one thing, also you can see the passage of months even years where certain heroes doesn't do nothing, that is to taken as OUR Earth Perspective, for Earth-616 POV they were inactive for a couple of weeks at most, and all of this is also why I'm not taking in consideration months into doing the Year structure, for leave it simple, if you think about it 12/4 = 3 so 1 of our year is 3 circa 3 months, using your timeline contruction will mean that year one is made of 4 years. Using mine we have 1961-1963, so we already skipped a year, plus 1961 is basically made of 2 comics (The Birth of the F4 and the genesis of future crime fighter Ant-Man) so it could be considered part of 1962, so we came down to 2 years basically that can amount to at maximum of 6 months, it's something that's more belivable with year one time between F4's birth and 31st December ????. In conclusion, I know what marvel stated and I take into consideration their word, for sure, but like I sayed a lot of time in the MCU thread, these words have to make sense, so that's why you see that, it's a mixure of "making sense" and "Understandable for new audience". This is an answer that I reach after 3 years of thinking about how really the passage of time work and can be controlled by the authors for Earth-616. What do you think, mr @ScottishRyzo ?
P.S. Not attacking you, just making my point clear. Also Thank you for pointing this out.
you're looking at it all far too literally. the entities inhabiting the timeline are unaware of compression or that their lives and pasts are constantly being rewritten. that this leads to contradictions or each year having four separate rounds of christmas specials is utterly irrelevant as is any fixed event like 9/11 or dated references. that's why they made up a fictional war to cover for so many characters having origins tied to korea or vietnam

the only relevance is how long ago an event is said to have occurred like a characters birth, not the specific date, but then not everything is affected by the compression a la mostly ageless nick fury

the entire point of sliding time isnt to convey how much time has ACTUALLY passed, but as an estimation to how long it APPEARS to have been to those living in it and that is editorially a 4:1 ratio, not 3:1.

this is a mostly as released order from beginning to present that groups together arcs in as chronological sense as is likely possible to do issue by issue. i took this and then just started slotting flashbacks using whatever information at hand to infer how long ago it was and if compression would apply or if it was a fixed point like much of Fury's career

honestly i have two marvel orders:

fixed and sliding time, and i use both for ANY marvel media i consume, with 616 often placing on both

but the most accurate marvel comic sliding timeline is literally just the release order. Time is always now, looping back future to past to now every time we read, with each new addition rewriting the story

past, present and future are always in a state of constant flux, trying to make any kind of truly functional order out of it is simply madness, and always will be until they resolve what they'll do with it in our future

you're looking at it all far too literally. the entities inhabiting the timeline are unaware of compression or that their lives and pasts are constantly being rewritten. that this leads to contradictions or each year having four separate rounds of christmas specials is utterly irrelevant as is any fixed event like 9/11 or dated references. that's why they made up a fictional war to cover for so many characters having origins tied to korea or vietnam

the only relevance is how long ago an event is said to have occurred like a characters birth, not the specific date, but then not everything is affected by the compression a la mostly ageless nick fury

the entire point of sliding time isnt to convey how much time has ACTUALLY passed, but as an estimation to how long it APPEARS to have been to those living in it and that is editorially a 4:1 ratio, not 3:1.

this is a mostly as released order from beginning to present that groups together arcs in as chronological sense as is likely possible to do issue by issue. i took this and then just started slotting flashbacks using whatever information at hand to infer how long ago it was and if compression would apply or if it was a fixed point like much of Fury's career
Wow, where to start, First of all, I know that marvel characters don't know they are affected by marvel time. The fact that they reference a fictional War Is true, but remain the fact that some character have tis with momento before the modern Age. Nick Fury Is not the best example, cos he has some sort of serum, that makes him younger. I'm talking about other characters Like Doctor strange which Is canonically Born in the 1910s (1911 if I Remember correctly) and became a Doctor in 1960. J. Jonah Jameson appearing as a reporter in 1939, this extend to Phil Sheldon too, etc.... what you sayed in the third pharagraph Is what I meant, and I am using a ratio of 1:3 only for the First year, if you look closely, all the others have their normal 1:4 ratio. That order Is One of the order I'm using for reference. Also It remains the fact that a lot of authors try to use real dates and reference events, which Is something they shouldn't do in this kind of universe if the sliding timeline Is 100% the true vision (another reference, yay!).

honestly i have two marvel orders:

fixed and sliding time, and i use both for ANY marvel media i consume, with 616 often placing on both

but the most accurate marvel comic sliding timeline is literally just the release order. Time is always now, looping back future to past to now every time we read, with each new addition rewriting the story

past, present and future are always in a state of constant flux, trying to make any kind of truly functional order out of it is simply madness, and always will be until they resolve what they'll do with it in our future
I actually tried mixing modern tales and vintage One, and the result was Good, so IDK What are you talking about, if you can explain Better would be Better, thanks again for your intervention.

Latest posts

Back