Marvel's Earth-616 Timeline

Wow, where to start, First of all, I know that marvel characters don't know they are affected by marvel time. The fact that they reference a fictional War Is true, but remain the fact that some character have tis with momento before the modern Age. Nick Fury Is not the best example, cos he has some sort of serum, that makes him younger. I'm talking about other characters Like Doctor strange which Is canonically Born in the 1910s (1911 if I Remember correctly) and became a Doctor in 1960. J. Jonah Jameson appearing as a reporter in 1939, this extend to Phil Sheldon too, etc.... what you sayed in the third pharagraph Is what I meant, and I am using a ratio of 1:3 only for the First year, if you look closely, all the others have their normal 1:4 ratio. That order Is One of the order I'm using for reference. Also It remains the fact that a lot of authors try to use real dates and reference events, which Is something they shouldn't do in this kind of universe if the sliding timeline Is 100% the true vision (another reference, yay!).
no, the likes of Strange, JJJ and Sheldon are subject to sliding time, they would have once been born in those years but they have slid forward too

i dont really get how its so hard to understand that fixed dates are completely irrelevant, even the wikia entry on sliding time is pretty clear as to how utterly meaningless topical references are in the sliding timeline, they arent to be taken as black and white and should be swapped out for a more fitting contemporary reference to whenever the time has compressed to. a good key is to take the referenced year, work out how many years that is before the publication date in the featured issue and then just place it as x years before Y1 or whatever, anything else is just making your timeline broken before you've even started

the only times fixed dates should be taken seriously is for ageless characters like Fury or Logan

also Ross's Marvels series has never been 616 canon, they just canonised elements of it like Sheldon

no, the likes of Strange, JJJ and Sheldon are subject to sliding time, they would have once been born in those years but they have slid forward too

i dont really get how its so hard to understand that fixed dates are completely irrelevant, even the wikia entry on sliding time is pretty clear as to how utterly meaningless topical references are in the sliding timeline, they arent to be taken as black and white and should be swapped out for a more fitting contemporary reference to whenever the time has compressed to. a good key is to take the referenced year, work out how many years that is before the publication date in the featured issue and then just place it as x years before Y1 or whatever, anything else is just making your timeline broken before you've even started

the only times fixed dates should be taken seriously is for ageless characters like Fury or Logan

also Ross's Marvels series has never been 616 canon, they just canonised elements of it like Sheldon
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Stephen_Strange_(Earth-616)?so=search Literally Strange has fixed dates in his First part of his biographies.
And nope Ross Marvels series Is 100% Canon, Even the Wiki stated so, so if you want to take the Wiki into consideraton, you have to consider this too. And finally I'm not using fixed years to represent properly the modern Age, I literally explained this in 4 different messages

You could Also argue that the marvel encyclopedia introduced us to the sliding timeline, but the same encyclopedia gives as the date of Birth of Strange as November 1930, using the encyclopedia for reference not only Is a contradiction for both the using of fixed dates and sliding timeline, but Also further prove that what I Say in point 1 of the introduction Is the best way to not break both fixed dates and sliding timeline's rules.

What @Megatron is saying, @ScottishRyzo, is that time is canonically altered in Marvel to always be in the present, but it did happen to 1961 at one point. All these comics are 100% canon as they happened, but only during those specific stories as they happened in their time periods. As time passes, those events become condensed.

See, if Marvel is in 2023 right now, they used to be in 2005, or 1987, or 1961. Those are all canon because the sliding timeline pushes those events FORWARD in time, but they still happened in 1961, 1987 and 2005 when they came out. From the in-universe character's perspective, it's not been that many years BECAUSE reality canonically changes as events get shuffled.

Daredevil's origin is stated as 1950 (Matt is 8 years old). Obviously the sliding pushes these events forward in time, but in 1964 this was the canon date. Hmm... I wonder if thus should incorporate a backwards sliding timeline too? Like, you have 1950 (fixed point) the you have sliding timeline negative years. So, Daredevil's origin would be "Year -13", I guess.

Last edited:
Daredevil's origin is stated as 1950 (Matt is 8 years old). Obviously the sliding pushes these events forward in time, but in 1964 this was the canon date. Hmm... I wonder if thus should incorporate a backwards sliding timeline too? Like, you have 1950 (fixed point) the you have sliding timeline negative years. So, Daredevil's origin would be "Year -14", I guess.
Do you know what Is the comic that stated that date?

Daredevil's origin is stated as 1950 (Matt is 8 years old). Obviously the sliding pushes these events forward in time, but in 1964 this was the canon date. Hmm... I wonder if thus should incorporate a backwards sliding timeline too? Like, you have 1950 (fixed point) the you have sliding timeline negative years. So, Daredevil's origin would be "Year -14", I guess.
1964 would be the 2nd year. So if he was 22, you would have to assume he's 35 or 36 right now.

Matt's origin starts in 1950 but then "years" pass by. It seems Matt is on his way to getting a diploma and his father is trying to get him into college, so 1957-1958 (year -7/Year -6) for when he gets blinded.

His dad dies, he graduates, he starts his law firm, and he becomes Daredevil all in 1964 (Year 2). That matches perfectly with his age, in fact.

With present day, I think breaking it down into years makes sense, but with flashbacks that are affected by the Sliding Timeline it's more difficult since it's changed way more often.

Fixed past events that never change should be placed in their exact years (WW2, etc. - even if it goes past 1961), flashbacks to origins from Year 1-16 should be placed next (sliding events), then 1961-present (Year 1-16), in my opinion.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, in the first The Amazing Spider-Man Annual (The first appearance of the Sinister Six) Dr. Strange (and other heroes in other pages) makes a cameo that is literally just him walking (OK, levitating) across the street, with a caption promoting his own comics. If Strange's origin is fixed in time (1963) but he makes crossovers with characters as early as Year 2 (Or earlier, if he has an earlier crossover) that means that

1-Only his origin is in 1963 and for 60 years until Year 1 nothing of importance happens in his life

2-All of the comics until his first crossover are fixed in time and after that there is a 60 years gap were nothing happens

3-You are going to mix the release order of stories and put standalone stories in release date until an arc were the fact that he is part of the larger Marvel Universe is impossible to ignore and then jump to Year 1/2.

I am curious about what you are going to do.

Latest posts

Back