Meltzer Helms Justice League Of America Re-Launch

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Newsarama said:
JLA RELAUNCHING, BRAD MELTZER NAMED AS WRITER

With this week's issue #172 of Wizard, the cat, or as writer Brad Meltzer calls it, "one of the worst kept secrets in comics" is officially out of the bag – that is, Meltzer will come aboard as the writer for at least a year of DC's JLA.

The current series, which ends with issue #125 in February, originally began in 1997 as a Grant Morrison-helmed relaunch of the DC franchise, and replaced an often second-tier lineup of characters with DC's "big seven" – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter. Ultimately, following on elements Meltzer introduced in Identity Crisis, the League officially disbanded in the "Crisis of Conscious" arc, and now features heroes struggling to maintain the League's legacy in light of Infinite Crisis.

Former Birds of Prey and Superman artist Ed Benes will join Meltzer on the new Justice League of America #1 in June.

Meltzer, as regular Newsarama readers will recall, signed an exclusive contract with DC in November.

As to why he signed on to a regular monthly comic, Meltzer told Newsarama: "It's the simplest, most overused answer in comics – they asked. The reason why they asked me to do Identity Crisis was that they knew of my love for the JLA. Even when I did Green Arrow, it was done with an eye to maybe one day I could write JLA. Someone said to me recently that there are only two dreams of a fifteen year old boy – to date a Playboy Playmate, and to write a comic book, and only one of those is worthwhile. This one is my fantasy – sad but true."

As to who will be in Meltzer's League following the events of Infinite Crisis…Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are looking good, the writer said, but after that? "I'm not saying anything about anyone," Meltzer told Newsarama. "But it's certainly not going to be just the 'big seven.'"

In speaking to Wizard, Meltzer described his job with the series, team, and characters as: "to show you in those characters that you love something that you didn't even realize was there. That 's when it feels the most real, when you look at that moment and ask, 'How come nobody else ever thought of that?'"

Wizard #172 is in stores this Wednesday. Check back with Newsarama on Thursday for our interview with Meltzer on all things JLA.

From http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53008&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Newsarama once again proves that buying Wizard is pointless :D

Im pretty excited about this-any thoughts?

I hope Green Arrow is in it. I'd rather have him than Batman, being a team player and all...

Anyone else hoping for Plastic Mans return?

I wish that this new team has not got first-class characters... I expect a Justice League International like the team of Giffen age...

Baxter said:
Anyone else hoping for Plastic Mans return?
Plastic Man is my second favorite character, second only to Superman, so of course I'm hoping for his return. I hope he gets a bigger role, too, as in Morrison's run, he seemed more like background filler and occasional fodder. They should focus on how powerful he can be and why he's one of the only people that scares Batman (see DK2).

HÊÚL. said:
I wish that this new team has not got first-class characters... I expect a Justice League International like the team of Giffen age...

Welcome. You have a cool username. I dont even know how to say that. Plus you have a Vash avatar. You rock.

HÊÚL. said:

Interview says the trinity are all in it, likely to feature GA too.Beyond that its a free for all.

Roguefan said:
I may break out of the Marvel safety camp and buy this...

Would that not be the XMen safety camp?:D

DIrishB said:
And Marvel is the only title who keeps trying to boost sales with recurring #1 issues? ;)

Just kidding, this sounds interesting.
I've got to say, the new #1 does confuse me. This is what, V4 of the JLA? Did they really need a new #1 or couldn't they have just not shipped for a few months?

Baxter said:
I've got to say, the new #1 does confuse me. This is what, V4 of the JLA? Did they really need a new #1 or couldn't they have just not shipped for a few months?

I think it might even be volume 5 or 6, as I think in the 90's alone they had two separate volumes, then add in the original, I think another relaunch in the 80's, the two I mentioned before, and it seems like 5 to me. Though I'm probably mistaken.

DIrishB said:
I think it might even be volume 5 or 6, as I think in the 90's alone they had two separate volumes, then add in the original, I think another relaunch in the 80's, the two I mentioned before, and it seems like 5 to me. Though I'm probably mistaken.
I know there was the original, The Legends JLI relaunch, The Morrison relaunch, and now this, but its been around for what? 40 years? I could easily have missed one.

Baxter said:
I know there was the original, The Legends JLI relaunch, The Morrison relaunch, and now this, but its been around for what? 40 years? I could easily have missed one.

Yup, maybe it is only 4, but it seems very likely there's another one in there within the past 20 years or so. Before that there was really no such thing as a relaunch, which is why Detective Comics and Action Comics are so high up in their numbering. Man...it'll be like another 15 years or so before they hit issue #1000...but imagine the fanfare.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Newsarama once again proves that buying Wizard is pointless :D
I've always had the feeling that Newsarama saying "In the latest issue of Wizard" was their means of slapping Gareb Shamus in the face.

Latest posts

Back