Michael Turner passes away

That's really, really shocking

I also never cared for his covers, but still he's like an industry giant, and really nobody should have to die that young

R.I.P. Mike

I was almost about to say something tasteless, cause I hate his art, but yeah, that's sad.

Something weird though: Why is it all the comic book writers literally poison themselves with Guiness, Red Bull whiskey cocktails, cigarettes and poor eating habits and live long long long long lives... but the artist die before 45 with no stressors outside of their work?

I'm sad. Despite his art looking incredibly 90's-tastic and cheesy and everyone looking the same.....I still loved his work and am saddened that I won't have anymore to look forward to.

Tear. :sad:

I actually did like his work even though it had its flaws. That's not the point, though. He seemed like he was a nice, genuine guy, full of life and it's not right that he died like this. :cry:

As much as I badmouthed his work, no one deserves what cancer does to you.

He had a large booth at WWC and it was pretty jumping today.

Oh, this is sad. :( I wasn't a fan of his work, but damn...

some things about his art sucked like yeah sometimes everyone looks the same but i really admired how dynamic they were. Actually i think over the time when i was recreating some of his covers it really developed my skills as an artist. I noticed my do-over`s of his covers were getting posted by other people on some message boards and i even found myself receiving work offers. I even sent some of my stuff to him and he wrote back to me about it. so im thankful to him and his work. sad loss :(.
RIP

Last edited:
Mark Brooks says some words in his Yahoo fan group:

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said throughout the vast amount of message boards, fan groups, and e-mails. I'm struck dumb by the news and I have a feeling the coming days and weeks are going to be very difficult for everyone in the industry as well as the legions of fans that knew and loved Mike and his work. Mike was never a man dying of Cancer, he was always LIVING with it and he tried to live everyday like it was his last. He went though so much anguish and pain but always had a smile on his face and a kind word for any and everyone around him. Though many will say that they never knew Mike personally I feel that the work and artist creates is he or she putting themselves on paper for all to see. While you may not have ever met Mike or only met him in passing but still loved his work, you knew him. He has been taken away far too soon at far too young an age so please take a moment to remember him and what he's done to brighten up many of our weekly trips to the local comic shop week in and week out and say a little prayer for all the people close to him. For Mike, his pain is finally over, but for his family and friends, it's just beginning and they're going to need a lot of support in the coming weeks and months. If you'd like to send your thought and condolences to Mike's family you're encouraged to send them to:

Aspen MLT, Inc.

C/O Michael Turner

5855 Green Valley Circle, Suite 111

Culver City, CA, 90230

His company Aspen Comics is also encouraging anyone wishing to make a charitable contribution in Mike's name to please do so and send them to the American Cancer Society or the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I also encourage everyone on here to tell us your stories or thoughts about Mike and what he meant to you. Whether it be to vent some feeling or share an experience you've had, I think we'd all like to hear them.

Be seeing you,
-Mark

1. At least the Justice League of America covers won't suck anymore.

2. He was always known for being a "late" artist.

He sucked, but he seemed cool and he was super young.

(didn't need to be woken up at 7:30am for this, though, unnamed UC member who texted me)

1. At least the Justice League of America covers won't suck anymore.

2. He was always known for being a "late" artist.

He sucked, but he seemed cool and he was super young.

(didn't need to be woken up at 7:30am for this, though, unnamed UC member who texted me)
I forget you're not in the cool EST zone. :noway:

I forget you're not in the cool EST zone. :noway:

I wouldn't have been up at 8:30am either!

We were at the Ellis panel until 1am and didn't get home until 2!

Also, on Sunday I told TOG I'd give him ten bucks if he went to the Aspen booth and asked when Michael Turner would be signing, but he didn't do it.

Latest posts

Back