Microsoft signs film deal for "Halo" video games

The Captain

Banned
Microsoft signs film deal for "Halo" video games
Microsoft signs film deal for "Halo" video games Wed Aug 24, 8:05 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. has signed a deal with two film studios to make a movie based on its popular space-based video game series "Halo," a spokesman for Universal Pictures said on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Universal and Twentieth Century Fox agreed to pay Microsoft $5 million plus a percentage of movie ticket sales. The total price being paid is capped at 10 percent of domestic box office receipts.

The deal ends months of speculation over which studio would win the right to make a "Halo" film, which came to Hollywood last spring highly-touted by Microsoft and its representatives at Creative Artists Agency. Messengers delivered a script to the studios wearing costumes and toting laser guns.

But several studios balked at an initially high asking price, which at the time published reports pegged at $15 million plus 15 percent of box office receipts in the United States and Canada.

Under terms of the final agreement, Universal will oversee the film's production and domestic distribution, while Fox will handle international distribution.

Universal spokesman Paul Pflug said the studios are aiming for a summer 2007 release of a movie based on "Halo" and "Halo 2," a science fiction series about an alien-fighting warrior named Master Chief.

Microsoft spokesman Carlos de Leon declined to comment on the terms of the movie deal as well as on speculation that the software giant would launch its "Halo 3" game title alongside the movie.

Oh come on...

The Halo games were okay, but now that there's a film about Doom, do we really need a similar film?

This is kinda old news, since it was already being talked about (not on the site, I mean about there being a movie) before.

icemastertron said:
This is kinda old news, since it was already being talked about (not on the site, I mean about there being a movie) before.

In your immortal words - "Well not all of us know about it."

Thank ****.

You see, whenever I say to people that Halo was pretty average and not all that great, they usually jump down my throat and try to beat up my kidneys.

And a movie.. man, so what. Is there still a market for alien shooty killy movies? If there is, then I'm convinced the world is going backwards.

Guijllons said:
Thank ****.

You see, whenever I say to people that Halo was pretty average and not all that great, they usually jump down my throat and try to beat up my kidneys.

Typical reaction from the "OMG XBOX PWNS PLAYSTATION" crowd.

The most interesting thing about this thread is the fact that the title is repeated three times, with no other words or anything in between it.

Seriously, how cool is that?

Caduceus said:
The most interesting thing about this thread is the fact that the title is repeated three times, with no other words or anything in between it.

Seriously, how cool is that?

It's the only way to get and hold the attention of the typical Halo fanatic.

have never played halo...never will...just looks retarded to me as i watch my friends play and waste away into nothingness...and now a freaking movie? bleh

Halo did nothing in first person shooters and gaming in general that hasn't been done before, save for putting them together and synthesizing them into one product.

They just announced the director for this, Neill Blomkamp? ... never heard of him. I'm looking forward to this I've heard nothing but good about it. Pegter Jackson is excited and the script review for it on Latino Review was great. Should be good.

No Halo movie yet

Joblo.com said:
In a shocking development, Fox and Universal, the two studios teaming up to co-finance the big-screen adaptation of HALO, have abruptly pulled out of the production. There was no official word from the studios as rumors raged from a budget soaring well north of the originally agreed upon $135 million, concerns over first-time director Neill Blomkamp and disputes over profit participation.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=13268

I'll be surprized if any studio picks this up.

Last edited:
The only reason why people liked Halo was because it was the only good game to ever come out on xbox until Ninja Gaiden came out.

Wouldn't this be closer to Starship Troopers than doom?

He was talking about 1st person shooters becoming movies.ut from what I've heard is that the script was ****ing awesome ans with Peter Jackson as a producer and a budget of 135 million this had some great potiential

He was talking about 1st person shooters becoming movies.ut from what I've heard is that the script was ****ing awesome ans with Peter Jackson as a producer and a budget of 135 million this had some great potiential

oh

i hope the movie is good but i'll admit i have my doughts as all video game movies are bad. I enjoy some some like mortal kombat but admit it's bad and the ones that are not bad are just horrible and make me want to rip out my eyes like street fighter.

but hopefully this will be a good movie

Latest posts

Back