Millar's Arcs Too Short?

jtg3885 said:
So us point out Mark Millar's mistakes in plotting and writing the issue, and weaknesses in how they chose to draw both Atlantis and Namor, make us impatient ADD sufferers? What the hell kind of insane troll logic is that? Also, as a mentally disabled American, I highly object to your attempts to claim that simple lack of patience and a complicated neurochemical imbalance are at all similar, and think it makes you look highly ignorant.

Well, you pointing out mistakes in Millar's plotting is purely an opinion, as is mine, incedentally. I'm saying your impatient because you all are complaining about not knowing anything about Namor and Atlantis when nothing's been said yet! You're complaing on the desired effect: The desired effect was "Who the **** is THAT!?" That's what a cliffhanger does.

I honestly don't want to get into it, but psychologists often misdiagnose 'lack of patience' for ADD because they are similiar, and it just shows your ignorance on the subject. A 'chemical neurological imbalance' can cause something simple like anxiety. Just as it can cause a similiar, simple emotion like lack of patience. I'm not saying any of you do have ADD, I'm saying you all lack patience. And your lack of patience doesn't mean the story is bad, it just isn't your cup of tea. Fine. But others are enjoying it.

Lynx said:
I honestly don't want to get into it, but psychologists often misdiagnose 'lack of patience' for ADD because they are similiar, and it just shows your ignorance on the subject. A 'chemical neurological imbalance' can cause something simple like anxiety. Just as it can cause a similiar, simple emotion like lack of patience. I'm not saying any of you do have ADD, I'm saying you all lack patience. And your lack of patience doesn't mean the story is bad, it just isn't your cup of tea. Fine. But others are enjoying it.
There's a far cry between impatience and ADD, and anxiety and something like SAD. Actually, a higher percentage of ADD misdiagnosis cases turn out to be the early stages of bipolar disorder rather than a case where the person turns out to have nothing at all.

jtg3885 said:
There's a far cry between impatience and ADD, and anxiety and something like SAD. Actually, a higher percentage of ADD misdiagnosis cases turn out to be the early stages of bipolar disorder rather than a case where the person turns out to have nothing at all.

The difference is simply severity and whether or not the emotion is permanant or not. That's it. Still, that's not the point. The point is reader's impatience :p .

Lynx said:
The difference is simply severity and whether or not the emotion is permanant or not. That's it. Still, that's not the point. The point is reader's impatience :p .
Or Mark Millar's lack of writing skill when it comes to a real comic. His approach to writing may work on the Ultimates, but it really doesn't work here.

jtg3885 said:
Or Mark Millar's lack of writing skill when it comes to a real comic. His approach to writing may work on the Ultimates, but it really doesn't work here.

I think it works wonderfully. It shows that we have two completely different expectations. I say we simply agree to disagree because it's obvious neither of us are going conivince the other, and I honestly don't want to resort to insults again (I aplogize, by the way, for my inapropriate outburst). Agreed? 8)

To be honest, I'm glad to have a three-issue arc considering all the 'decompressed' nonsense we've been getting.

But I think Jtg makes two good points - Millar's three-issue arcs are a) not that amazing (#24 was particularly lack luster) and b) possibly far too reliant on people knowing 616 to have their full impact (we'll see as this plays out, but it was certainly the case for the UF4 annual which was pathetic - and we've seen this reliance on 616 in his MK Spider-Man and Wolverine runs).

I only want to point out that it's ironic that my complaints led Lynx to say that me and my ilk of having ADD. After all, to adress my complaints, Millar would need to decompress the story back into the more common 4-6 issue per arc format. Not an ADD friendly move, eh? ;)

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
I only want to point out that it's ironic that my complaints led Lynx to say that me and my ilk of having ADD. After all, to adress my complaints, Millar would need to decompress the story back into the more common 4-6 issue per arc format. Not an ADD friendly move, eh? ;)

First of all, I apolgized. However, I still don't understand how this being a 4-6 issue arc would have got around your complaints. We just would have gotten half way through this issue for the 1st issue. We would have wound up at the same place that this issue ends in the following issue and people would have been complaining then. Except this time, it'd be about the arc moving too slowly.

Trust me, people, generally, always find a reason to complain. But then again. . .I complain about UIM all the damn time, so I guess I'll just let everyone rant. My satisfaction is simply that I enjoyed the issue.

Bass said:
To be honest, I'm glad to have a three-issue arc considering all the 'decompressed' nonsense we've been getting.

But I think Jtg makes two good points - Millar's three-issue arcs are a) not that amazing (#24 was particularly lack luster) and b) possibly far too reliant on people knowing 616 to have their full impact (we'll see as this plays out, but it was certainly the case for the UF4 annual which was pathetic - and we've seen this reliance on 616 in his MK Spider-Man and Wolverine runs).
Millar is a big old pants-wetting pop culture doodyhead and it shows even in his creator-owned work, and that's the problem: When working within Marvel it gives him a license to get a smidgen bit more masturbatory than usual.

Yes, definitely.

There's no depth (Other than the fact that the Four are 20,00 Leagues under the sea right now...:lol:). I don't see any of these stories as significant, which is sad since Namor is now around. I really would like to see his character developed. It's a shame that the first three issues were wasted on introducing a new Zombie universe so Marvel can cash in on their Horror Titles... Damn. I want SOMETHING out of the rest of the issues in Mark's run.

Mark has said that all his arcs tie together to form a 12-issue maxi-arc.

I think I said this before.

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:

Yes, you have. I believe it was when you posted the titles of Mark's UFF arcs. Most likely other times, as well.

icemastertron said:
Yes, you have. I believe it was when you posted the titles of Mark's UFF arcs. Most likely other times, as well.

Well, I think we can judge if they're too short after his 12 issues are done.

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:

In other words - be patient, Goody. You'll get your wish.

I'm saying that Millar is spending little to no time with good ideas. If the story concerning Mary Storm was done in, say, a five issue arc, I would bet it would turn out a lot more authentic than what it is so far. The story "Cross-Over" really can't be spread out any more than it is, so that's why I'm using the most recent as an example.

Goodwill said:
I'm saying that Millar is spending little to no time with good ideas. If the story concerning Mary Storm was done in, say, a five issue arc, I would bet it would turn out a lot more authentic than what it is so far. The story "Cross-Over" really can't be spread out any more than it is, so that's why I'm using the most recent as an example.

But how can you say that without having read the whole story and seeing how it's handled in 3 issues? I don't get it.

UltimateE said:
But how can you say that without having read the whole story and seeing how it's handled in 3 issues? I don't get it.
Agreeing with E, You'll have to wait on that story. Maybe a better example would have been the time travel, or the zombies, but as you can see none of the plots have been tied up yet. Let's just wait.

Goodwill said:

What are you talking about? Millar's arc is practically 12-issues. Everything ties into one another.

Latest posts

Back