Mixed Reviews

What is it about and who writes it?

Planetary is a comic by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday. It's about three characters who are "Archaeologists of the Impossible." They track down the world's weird and secret history, which includes almost everything from popculture - giant Japanese monsters, Hong Kong ghost cops and the origins of superheroes themselves.

Read it. It's good.

Planetary is a comic by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday. It's about three characters who are "Archaeologists of the Impossible." They track down the world's weird and secret history, which includes almost everything from popculture - giant Japanese monsters, Hong Kong ghost cops and the origins of superheroes themselves.

Read it. It's good.

One of the best comics in the history of ever.

Isn't he able to "stretch" his brain to become smarter or something?
AHHHHHHHHH! indeed.

I like the idea that the trip to space and/or the subsequent exposure to cosmic rays has made Reed smarter. But the power to stretch your brain brothers me.

If we're going to go with Reed having enhanced intelligence, let's have it be an effect of the trip, not an effect of his powers.

Ugh, I can't stand it when they slap unneeded super powers on characters.

It'd be like if they did an Ultimate Batman where they attempt to make his physical talents more acceptable by giving him a metagene that heightens his coordination or something.

The worst was on the Superman Homepage when people started saying that on Smallville, Chloe's haxxorz should be a meteor power, i.e. technopathy.

That doesn't make any sense. I respect her character immensly because the stuff she does is friggin amazing and hard to do. Saying it's a super power just means she's a normal person who got lucky.

We're fortunate comic writers don't pen history books. Beethoven would've been written off as a mutant by now.

Ugh, I can't stand it when they slap unneeded super powers on characters.

It'd be like if they did an Ultimate Batman where they attempt to make his physical talents more acceptable by giving him a metagene that heightens his coordination or something.
The BAT-gene. It's like the gay gene, only it invites tragedy. See also the episode "Epilogue" from Justice League Unlimited.

Planet-man said:
We're fortunate comic writers don't pen history books. Beethoven would've been written off as a mutant by now.
This was already suggested in Malibu Comics' Ultraverse.

The BAT-gene. It's like the gay gene, only it invites tragedy. See also the episode "Epilogue" from Justice League Unlimited.

On a separate note, you know what pissed me off to know end about "Epilogue"? It would've been a near-perfect closer to the DCAU.... if they hadn't used that ****ty electric version of Shirley Walker's sacred Batman theme for the final scene. I was furious with that. They should've used the orchestral choir version from Mask of the Phantasm, which would've been tear-jerking.

On a separate note, you know what pissed me off to know end about "Epilogue"? It would've been a near-perfect closer to the DCAU.... if they hadn't used that ****ty electric version of Shirley Walker's sacred Batman theme for the final scene. I was furious with that. They should've used the orchestral choir version from Mask of the Phantasm, which would've been tear-jerking.

Definitely

I disliked the electric version but it didn't really upset me all that much.

However, I think the orchestral choir version from Mask of the Phantasm would be wrong as it's much too ominous and foreboding, which is far from the grandiose sense of heroism they were trying to accomplish with the ending.

Plain Batman theme would have been fine, maybe even the lively version from The New Adventures of Batman & Robin or something else along thsoe lines.

I think they were just trying to do the familiar theme with a "futuristic" spin. I don't know.
Yeah, it wasn't THAT ****ty. I think some people are just too beholden to the 'classical/majestic' sounding stuff instead of synths and electronics.

And IMO, the Unlimited theme is much better than the original JL theme. Though my favorite theme is still the Western-inspired rendition of the JL theme from "The Once and Future Thing, Part 1".

Definitely

:rockon:

I disliked the electric version but it didn't really upset me all that much.

However, I think the orchestral choir version from Mask of the Phantasm would be wrong as it's much too ominous and foreboding, which is far from the grandiose sense of heroism they were trying to accomplish with the ending.

Plain Batman theme would have been fine, maybe even the lively version from The New Adventures of Batman & Robin or something else along thsoe lines.

That's the tune I'm talking about. The New Adventures of Batman & Robin theme is the exact same theme as MotP, just with less instruments, and the techno version is the same theme too. And IMO, it's an incredibly heroic and uplifting tune. Just not when it's a immature electric version.

I think they were just trying to do the familiar theme with a "futuristic" spin. I don't know.

And that's exactly the problem. They shouldn't have been going for "futuristic", which only applies to one of the many DCAU series', they should've been going for "timeless", applying to all of them, which is what the epic orchestral theme is to me.

Latest posts

Back