More delays for Ultimate Nightmare #5 - now scheduled for 2/23

If Secret had been released in December and they kept selling it, it might have even finished before Nightmare.

I'm not too disappointed. Nightmare's not one of the better Ultimate books I've read, and if it's coming out later than it should, all it means to me is that my wallet will be slighty heavier for a little longer than it's supposed to be.

Hairsine is a good artist

UltimateE said:
If Hairsine's art was as good as John Cassaday's or Bryan Hitch's, I wouldn't be quite as bothered. But not only is it not as good as some of the guys who require more time to finish, it's mediocre at best.

We're so past ridiculous now. 3 months. :roll:

Personally i think trevor's art is clean and he hav a good taste for details so the book is great.. BUT i dont think is fair to have the fans waiting this lonG!

att.:
Berni
http://www.bernionline.com

see you around the campus... :D

I heard that Trevor Hairsine spilled some coffee is his finished pages, so he had to start the whole issue again. When it was almost done his dog ate it.

I believe him because it also happended to me once, with my homework. :wink:

Last edited:
Haha - that must have been what happened with Ultimate Six #7 too.

Welcome to Berni. :D

You know, even with the delays this mini should be finished. 5 issues for this? It's big, sure, but it's part of a trilogy. People complain about Bendis stretching out his arcs, but this is so much worse. I actually reckon you could have gotten everything in this series into 3 issues (possibly requiring a few extra pages per issue) and definitely 4 at the most.

It would have been cool to the trilogy building towards the conclusion by having Nightmare as 3 parts, Secret as 4 parts, and then Arrival possibly as 5 parts. I imagine the action will kick off in Arrival pretty quickly seeing as we'll have had 2 mini's to introduce the storyline, so 5 issues should be enough even for something that will have such a major impact on the Ultimate U.

Ellis' pacing is off on whichever title he works on, it seems like but I do like the fact that he's doing stuff with the characters in the process. That's how Bendis can get away with it.

You think Bendis gets away with bad pacing?

I smell a thread split coming on...

In my opinion, yes... While there are still exceptions, I really like the characters that he's taking the time to flesh out. All of them having striking parallels to real people, whether you know someone like them or not. It's what Bendis does best.

OK, but you indicated you think Bendis handles pacing poorly. Why?

He's perfectly entitled to his opinion...I just want to hear why he thinks that. I think it's OK to criticize someone without "dissing" them.

Well, let's take the second Green Goblin arc for example... First, there was a double-sized issue that should've never happened in the beginning. The scene where Spider-Man takes down the gang of roller blading punks was drawn out and, really, could've fit on as many pages as the one in the most recent issue of USM did so that Bendis could've gotten to the real meat, which was really to reintroduce the Osborns. Now, the arc as a whole took place in one night. While I don't have a problem with that, Bendis kept on repeating what had already happened in three issues... Why couldn't we just get on with it? That's all, I just think Bendis spends a little more time focusing on characters when there should be a beginning and an end and little more. I can stomach his characterization becuase it's that good, but if it were any other writer, I would hound them for it. I do like Bendis, MwoF...

That's fine; just wondering.

Now that we've gotten that tangent out of our systems, back on topic.

Goodwill said:
This will not effect Secret as far as we know, right?

That brings up a good point - I really think that this has been fully expected for a while, and that's why Secret was scheduled for March. It was weird at the time, because when it was originally rescheduled for March it was like 2 or 3 months after the current schedule of Ultimate Nightmare #5. For a sequel like Secret is supposed to be - why would they schedule a huge delay?

So I don't think that it will affect Secret...I'm assuming my theory is right and we won't see any more delays for Nightmare #5. But if there are more delays, then yes, I'd fully expect Secret to be pushed back again. It wouldn't make sense for the sequel to start up when the first part isn't done yet.

Then I guess it has to do with the interior art, right? I'm guessing that takes the most time to actually do, you know?

Latest posts

Back