Movies of 2010

Daybreakers - Really creative, constant tension, stacked cast, damn good film. Really liked what they did with the concept. 8/10

The Wolfman - This really could've been great, but a lot of the usual things went wrong. Insane amount of CGI, jump-heavy blockbuster scares without much atmosphere or showmanship to them, bizarre pacing, etc. I love a lot of Joe Johnston's stuff but I think he's just not a horror director. M. Night Shymalan could've done a great job with this. Every actor does very well though. Hopkins saves the whole film. 5.5/10

I just read that they cut 17 minutes from the final cut of the film for theaters because the studio wanted audiences to get to the first Wolfman transformation sooner. Joe Johnston's putting these back for the DVD, which I want to see.

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland - I think as entertainment this is pretty much critic-proof. It has a lot of the same problems with missed showmanship that Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory had, but at the end of the day it's a fun tribute to Carroll's world packed with colourful, captivating visuals, a great cast, and a good old-fashioned fantasy quest element woven through which it's fun to see the well-known characters participate in. Where else are you going to be able to see
a Jokerized Johnny Depp using a garment mannequin to swordfight a one-eyed Crispin Glover?
6.5/10.

The Crazies - An interesting take on the Zombiepocalypse genre and an effective, suspenseful, scary film overall. Literally every second is suspenseful, never letting up. 7.5/10

Hot Tub Time Machine - Absolutely The Hangover meets Back To The Future, this was hilarious. With a little more effort they could've approached a BTTF level of changed-the-future emotion and satisfaction at the end, but it was still a borderline great movie. 8.5/10

Kick-Ass - Apart from a few details I would've changed, and maybe a different lead actor, this was so ****ing good. 9.5/10

Clash Of The Titans - This wasn't directed very well, and is one of the poorest uses of the 3D process I've seen yet. Worthington's still good, everyone was, especially Mads Mikilsen, there were some AWESOME moments(the whole
Medusa sequence
was probably my favourite part), and it benefits from the original story still being so good. In a lot of ways it's a great old-fashioned movie, but one of the most powerful feelings it elicted in me is still "appreciation for Peter Jackson". But I still enjoyed it. 7/10

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Barely scary and cluelessly directed, for the most part. But Haley is great and this film's story, and Freddy Krueger, are excellent and way, way more interesting than in the original. Some real horror direction, subtlety and scary imagery could've made the most of that story, but as it is this was still decent overall. 6/10

Iron Man 2 - This was amazingly engaging and entertaining, filled with captivating performances and some of the best effects-fueled action sequences in the whole superhero movie genre. The story parts didn't flow quite as well as in the first film, but the story was far bigger and more ambitious too, and in my opinion, worth that price. I loved every minute of it. 9.5/10

Ridley Scott's Robin Hood - Take Gladiator, mix it with 300, Kingdom of Heaven, and Beowulf and Grendel, now strip it of all the character, the spirit, the fun and the point. Pretty much. A "gritty reboot" of a character whose legend has been kept alive for a thousand years largely because of the merry, swashbuckling, fantastical elements was simply a bad idea. Crowe was great as usual and a potential sequel could really be something. This was not. 5/10. Ebert's review is spot-on.

Edge Of Darkness - I was basically expecting your usual Taken type of thing, but this was so much more(both plot-wise and overall quality). I forgot it was a Martin Campbell film until the end credits, but it's certainly up to his standard. Mel Gibson was amazing. 8.5/10

The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus - This is vintage Gilliam. The only frustrating thing is that CGI has replaced his traditional models and clay, which used to account for so much of his signature brand of surreality. Nevertheless, this is a fine film with a great story, tons of excellent performances from an eclectic, amazing cast and the fact that Burton's Alice In Wonderland made like ten times as much at the box office is pretty much a disgrace. Oh well. This will endure where it counts. 9.5/10.

Shutter Island - I swear to god, I watched the first minute of the first trailer when it appeared, decided I wanted to see it and shut my eyes for the remainder of the trailer, and hoped that.... this.... wouldn't be how it ended. When the all the hype over "the twist" started popping up, I assumed that it couldn't be what I was thinking of. At yet it was. I don't know how "the twist" got any hype or acclaim. I barely even get how they decided to put up the effort to make the whole movie and seriously do that ending, let alone also drop rock-solid hints to it throughout. However, every single other aspect of the entire film, acting, directing, editing, cinematography, and most of all characterization and development, was so good that it's still totally worth seeing. Also,
the last line in the film is kind of a mini-twist in its own right and makes it a whole point higher.
8/10

Splice - The first great creature feature I've seen in a long time. Excellent effects drive a daring story, with really dark humour, solid leads and loads of suspense. Delphine Chaneac's "Dren" is hypnotic. I also was fortunate enough to see it with a great audience who was really into it, laughing and clapping at all the right moments. Anyway, recommended. 8/10

Last edited:
1. How To Train Your Dragon - 9.5/10 - A nearly perfect childrens film. I can't even say how pleased I was to get to see this while it was still playing in theaters.

2. Shutter Island – 9/10 – By far the best film to be released this year, and the only thing on this list likely to make the Oscars next spring... DiCaprio is phenomenal in this beautifully filmed thriller.

3. Kick-Ass – 8/10 – High octane fun... Much better than the original comic book series in the way it dropped its aspirations towards reality and embraced the absurdity of ultraviolence in superheroism.

4. Hot Tub Time Machine - 7/10 - A really sweet movie and a great buddy comedy with only a handful of stale jokes. The way they handle the time travel in the film is problematic, but only we geeks would really nit-pick at that.

5. Iron Man 2 – 7/10 – High octane fun as well, but without the story-work that should have been there to make it truly unforgettable. Truly wish I could rank this higher, but regardless, I had one hell of a time watching this movie.

6. The A-Team - 7/10 - Okay wow, this probably comes from having had virtually no expectations for this film whatsoever, but even though i was in a bad mood going in, I have to admit the film was extremely fun. Probably the first time I've actually liked Bradley Cooper's character in a movie.

7. Get Him to the Greek - 6.5/10 - Funny but ultimately disappointing. Still love Aldous Snow, the fictional Rock God that he is, but at the end of the day, I was hoping for something closer to the other Apatow efforts in terms of the film's emotional side.

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 6/10 - Really should have been so much better... The world deserves the return of Freddy Kruger, and there's so much potential in a horror monster that lurks in the dreamworld that just probably won't ever happen... Until the round of Threemakes starts up in another 20 years (get ready, everyone). The worst part about these Platinum Dunes films is they haven't figured out that casting the lead female role is ****ing important. For the first 45 minutes, i didn't even know WHICH of the bland girls was supposed to be Nancy.

9. Alice in Wonderland – 5/10 – This should have been infinitely weirder than it ultimately was. What it ended up as was simply a cliched fantasy plot forced into Wonderland... Some good visuals and performances, but by far the least satisfying Burton film in ages.

10. Daybreakers – 5/10 – This movie really could have been good... I loved the world, and Sam Neil made for a great villainous vampire... But in the end, it was just all kind of stupid.

11. Legion – 3/10 – "Ain't got no shark teeth, paw!" made me laugh out loud. A lot of this movie did. I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all without the few beers I drank beforehand.

12. Shrek The Fourth - 1/10 - Having created this film, everyone on the production team should be put in prison forever. In particular the person who voiced Rumplestiltskin. I cannot even remember a less enjoyable film-going experience in recent history. At least Legion was LAUGHABLY terrible. Nobody in the theater laughed at this film. It was dead silent and sad.

Upcoming Movies to See:
Splice, The Karate Kid, Toy Story 3, The Last Airbender, Predators, Inception, The Sorceror's Apprentice, Dinner for Schmucks, The Expendables, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Machete, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, The Social Network, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I, Tron Legacy, True Grit

Last edited:
Special screenings in Lime, new additions in Red.

Daybreakers B+ a fun movie. It reminded me of Dark City with Vampires. Sam Niel was pretty entertaining, but William Defoe was too cheesey for me. Ethan Hawk was solid too. The opening was probably the best moment. Still, a good start to what's looking like a genre filled start of the year.

The Book of Eli - B+ Very solid, and I loved all the nods to the post-apocalyptic genre, but I felt like it could have been more. Gary Oldman was fantastic as a villian that easily could have been a hero in another movie. Still, I can't help but think of what might have been.

Legion D - pretty bad. Everything here was pretty cookie cutter, tho Taye Diggs had some pretty good lines. That doesn't make a movie worth it.

From Paris With Love B+ Taken this is not, but that's okay. Travolta is really entertaining, Johnathan Reese-Myers is solid, and while the plot takes a bit of a left turn at the end its still pretty fun. Plus the whole Vase bit was great.

The Wolfman B not nearly as bas as I was expecting. There was obviously some stoyline issues, and I personaly take offense to getting one of the best prostetics guys who have ever lived and then still CGIing everything, but I still had fun.

Shutter Island - C I read the book Shutter Island a few years ago and I feel that it was a hinderance to enjoying the movie. Scorcese was making a specific type of movie here and that isn't the same... tone as the book. The book had this great feeling of everything being subtly off in it without resorting to obvious halucinations. In the book everything feels more organic and natural. I didn't think DiCaprio had the best handle on Teddy either. Now the supporting cast absolutly owns this movie. Mark Ruffalo was perfect, as was Ben Kingsly, Freddy Kruger and Stotlmyer from monk.

Cop Out - C this... this had so much potential. But then we had the opeing scene with some amazingly akward expositionary dialoge then a gag that completly fell apart. Tracy Morgan isn't funny. I think this is the last thing I intentionaly watch with him. And the score. It sounds like it was scored by someone who was learning the synthisizer and only had the score from Escape from New York to teach him. Dispite all my complaints I will say Sean William Scott was great in it.

The Crazies A This is how you do a Zombie Movie people. Yes, they're as much Zombies as the 28 franchise. We've got suspense, creepy ****, and a few good jumps. A decent plot that does exactly what it needs to, and a character that keeps you guessing as to his status. Anyone who wants to see a movie like this should really check it out.

Alice in Wonderland A- Quite entertaining except for one thing. Johnny Depp wandered around playing a mix of sweeny Todd and a rainbow. And that dance at the end... but everything else was good. I really enjoyed it.

Repo Men B Everything it needed to be. Fun, gory, funny. Very funny actually. They totally stole the ending from
sleeper
tho, but its the first time in a while it didn't feel like a total cop out.

]Hot Tub Time Machine A Hot damn this is one funny movie. I mean really, really freaking funny. It sends up almost every time travel trope I can think of and manages to do so in style. Being the sucker for Time Travel that I am I might have to see it again. And actually pay for it this time. I had only one question.
Who was in the Bear Suit and what did he do after being stuck in the past?
Maybe its after the music video at the end, I left before that was over.

Kick Ass - Well, I only read the first issue of the comic so I don't have a baseline there, so I'll just say that Hit-Girl was fantastic, Nick Cage looked bloated, The Action scenes were fun and the ending was too over the top for even me. But hey, thats what it was supposed to be.

Clash of the Titans - They made Perseus an *******. What the **** guys? Lets cut out the whole, I'm doing this to save a nation and tag the hottie princess, something we can all relate to on a level and bring in the other universal motivation. **** you dad. Thats all it was. Sam Worthington going **** you dad for an hour and a half. And Zues, dammit, he did everything but look at the screen, shrug his shoulders and say "What do you want me to do, its my kid?" And I'm sick and tired of Hades being cast as the villain in everything that uses the Greek gods anymore. HES NOT ****ING SATAN! God of the underworld isn't a direct connection to the usurper of heaven!

****. Yeah. I wasn't happy with this one,

Prince of Persia - Exactly what I was expecting. I was a little dissapointed by the
everything didn't happen
ending, but hey, its a light popcorn flick. If you're looking for a movie like this you could do worse.

The Evil Dead - Yes, not exactly a new release but a semi-local theator did a midnight showing with a newly blown up 35mm print and it was the best I've ever seen the movie look. Still has all the same issues, but seeing it in a theater gave some scenes a little more weight, especially the basement bit with all the blood.

Get him to the Greek - So funny I laughed until I had a coughing fit so bad it brought on a spinal headache. I expect to hear from Mr. Snow's lawyers about compensation soon. Russel Brand was either perfectly in character or he was pulling a Jason Mews and not having to act at all. I still can't see Jonah Hill as an adult tho, three day beard or not.

Last edited:
Special screenings in Lime, new additions in Red.

Daybreakers B+ a fun movie. It reminded me of Dark City with Vampires. Sam Niel was pretty entertaining, but William Defoe was too cheesey for me. Ethan Hawk was solid too. The opening was probably the best moment. Still, a good start to what's looking like a genre filled start of the year.

The Book of Eli - B+ Very solid, and I loved all the nods to the post-apocalyptic genre, but I felt like it could have been more. Gary Oldman was fantastic as a villian that easily could have been a hero in another movie. Still, I can't help but think of what might have been.

Legion D - pretty bad. Everything here was pretty cookie cutter, tho Taye Diggs had some pretty good lines. That doesn't make a movie worth it.

From Paris With Love B+ Taken this is not, but that's okay. Travolta is really entertaining, Johnathan Reese-Myers is solid, and while the plot takes a bit of a left turn at the end its still pretty fun. Plus the whole Vase bit was great.

The Wolfman B not nearly as bas as I was expecting. There was obviously some stoyline issues, and I personaly take offense to getting one of the best prostetics guys who have ever lived and then still CGIing everything, but I still had fun.

Shutter Island - C I read the book Shutter Island a few years ago and I feel that it was a hinderance to enjoying the movie. Scorcese was making a specific type of movie here and that isn't the same... tone as the book. The book had this great feeling of everything being subtly off in it without resorting to obvious halucinations. In the book everything feels more organic and natural. I didn't think DiCaprio had the best handle on Teddy either. Now the supporting cast absolutly owns this movie. Mark Ruffalo was perfect, as was Ben Kingsly, Freddy Kruger and Stotlmyer from monk.

Cop Out - C this... this had so much potential. But then we had the opeing scene with some amazingly akward expositionary dialoge then a gag that completly fell apart. Tracy Morgan isn't funny. I think this is the last thing I intentionaly watch with him. And the score. It sounds like it was scored by someone who was learning the synthisizer and only had the score from Escape from New York to teach him. Dispite all my complaints I will say Sean William Scott was great in it.

The Crazies A This is how you do a Zombie Movie people. Yes, they're as much Zombies as the 28 franchise. We've got suspense, creepy ****, and a few good jumps. A decent plot that does exactly what it needs to, and a character that keeps you guessing as to his status. Anyone who wants to see a movie like this should really check it out.

Alice in Wonderland A- Quite entertaining except for one thing. Johnny Depp wandered around playing a mix of sweeny Todd and a rainbow. And that dance at the end... but everything else was good. I really enjoyed it.

Repo Men B Everything it needed to be. Fun, gory, funny. Very funny actually. They totally stole the ending from
sleeper
tho, but its the first time in a while it didn't feel like a total cop out.

]Hot Tub Time Machine A Hot damn this is one funny movie. I mean really, really freaking funny. It sends up almost every time travel trope I can think of and manages to do so in style. Being the sucker for Time Travel that I am I might have to see it again. And actually pay for it this time. I had only one question.
Who was in the Bear Suit and what did he do after being stuck in the past?
Maybe its after the music video at the end, I left before that was over.

Kick Ass - Well, I only read the first issue of the comic so I don't have a baseline there, so I'll just say that Hit-Girl was fantastic, Nick Cage looked bloated, The Action scenes were fun and the ending was too over the top for even me. But hey, thats what it was supposed to be.

Clash of the Titans - They made Perseus an *******. What the **** guys? Lets cut out the whole, I'm doing this to save a nation and tag the hottie princess, something we can all relate to on a level and bring in the other universal motivation. **** you dad. Thats all it was. Sam Worthington going **** you dad for an hour and a half. And Zues, dammit, he did everything but look at the screen, shrug his shoulders and say "What do you want me to do, its my kid?" And I'm sick and tired of Hades being cast as the villain in everything that uses the Greek gods anymore. HES NOT ****ING SATAN! God of the underworld isn't a direct connection to the usurper of heaven!

****. Yeah. I wasn't happy with this one,

Prince of Persia - Exactly what I was expecting. I was a little dissapointed by the
everything didn't happen
ending, but hey, its a light popcorn flick. If you're looking for a movie like this you could do worse.

The Evil Dead - Yes, not exactly a new release but a semi-local theator did a midnight showing with a newly blown up 35mm print and it was the best I've ever seen the movie look. Still has all the same issues, but seeing it in a theater gave some scenes a little more weight, especially the basement bit with all the blood.

Get him to the Greek - So funny I laughed until I had a coughing fit so bad it brought on a spinal headache. I expect to hear from Mr. Snow's lawyers about compensation soon. Russel Brand was either perfectly in character or he was pulling a Jason Mews and not having to act at all. I still can't see Jonah Hill as an adult tho, three day beard or not.

The A-Team - Weak ass villain in it man. Lynch or whatever his name was just didn't do it for me at all. The merc guy was fun but didn't get half the screen time Lynch did. But the main 4 did a hell of a job of being entertaining. I can't help but compare it to The Losers tho, and it looses. Try again next time guys.

Man, I still need to see Karate Kid and Splice, plus I have a midnight showing of Big Trouble in Little China to go see this weekend. Busy busy busy.

Wow been meaning to update this...

Alice in Wonderland A-
I was extremely skeptical when I heard Burton was doing this but I think it was pulled off pretty well. Alice in Wonderland's like my favorite book ever so I was going in with huge expectations after seeing footage. I like how he captured the insanity in Carrol's original book and made it work into an actual plot (a standard plot at that but still a plot). I like the performances from Mia, Anne Hathaway, whoever played the Cheshire Cat and Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar. I actually found Depp's performance to be pretty good and don't know why he gets so bashed for it. It's probably for that awful dance at the end. Overall, a good movie with a standard plot but brilliant visuals and strong character performances.

Iron Man 2 A-
I see Iron Man 2 as doing the best it could with the Avengers cloud hanging over its head. Going into this everyone knew about the Avengers, the tie-ins, the A-List actors and directors getting involved and still once I sat down it was put out of my head because Tony Stark was back. RDJ's my favorite actor like ever so he never disappoints and I thought that the rest of the cast was perfect in their roles. Rockwell, Cheadle, Johansson and Favreau were all good as their comic book counterparts and Rourke was criminally underused. The weakest actor I see in this is Paltrow as Pepper but that's probably because I don't care at all about her character. The Avengers bits were prevalent throughout and I can see why some people were taken out by it but to me they were great just because I knew what was coming in the franchises. I'd put it even with the original because they both had flaws and both had great bits to them.

Kick Ass B-
I went into this not having read the comic before but wondering if they were going to bring Mark Millar's usual dosage of violence and immaturity to screen and they did. The fight scenes were great in this but some moments felt like they were just unnecessary and way to overblown. Hit-Girl was awesome and Nic Cage was pretty funny doing his psychopathic Adam West impersonation but I really didn't like the lead guy and would hate it if he got cast as Spider-Man or Cyclops. This was definitely not the best comic movie ever made as some have said and it really made me feel like a much better miniseries could have been adapted to screen.

The A-Team B
I really didn't care to see this until recent trailers showed exactly what it was supposed to be: mindless fun. I think the cast was well used (the main four at least). Cooper was hilarious, Neeson was his usual awesome self and Rampage Jackson was Mr. T (it's not that hard to do but still). The best part of this movie was by far Sharlto Copley as Murdock and I thought every single one of his scenes were brilliant. It gets knocked because Patrick Wilson's character was awful until the very end. Overall the perfect definition of summer popcorn flick.

Shutter Island A
I really love Scorsese films and this was just another one I got into. I think it worked great as a psychological thriller and really played up the tension and horror on the island. Every scene in Ward C made me feel like this should be an Arkham Asylum film and the revelation at the end was great. I had that feeling the entire movie the ending was coming but I guess Scorsese's film making threw me off of it. The cast was brilliant with Dicaprio, Ruffalo, Kingsley and Jackie Earl Hayley all being great in it. Not as good as his other films but he's still the best around which would put anything he makes over someone else's.

i'll do this based on the movies in theaters, with last watched on top.

A-Team: 7.2/10 Stuff goes BooM
Karate Kid 9.3/10 Typical heartwarming story, nice progression. worthy of a sequel.
Date Night 6.1/10 One line funnies.
Shrek 4 3.4/10 its not funny anymore
Prince of Persia 8.7/10 read here

Get Him to the Greek: A-
Very good. I don't know if it was quite as good as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but I have to say I kinda prefer it to the Hangover. Really funny. I think people will be surprised just how dramatic it gets a certain points. I felt the ending was quite moving personally. There's one scene I could have done without...
it involves a three way between Jonah Hill, Russell Brand and Jonah Hill's girl friend. It just didn't really fit in with what they were trying to do at that point, in my opinion.
All in all some really good performances in a surprisingly good movie. P Diddy (name?) was unexpectedly funny and Brand proved he can be a really good actor.

Iron Man 2: B
I liked it a lot. It wasn't as good as the first one (which is the best Marvel movie yet), but it was good nonetheless. I really don't know what else I can add. I think think that Sam Jackson just seemed to be playing Sam Jackson with an eye patch. While I have heard criticism that the Avengers stuff seems forced, I really didn't get that impression. One thing I didn't like was the whole fight scene between Rhodey and Tony when he was wasted at his brithday party. Also, SHIELD did too much in the movie to solve Tony's problems...it would have been better if he stumbled upon his father's work on his own.

Robin Hood: B-
Not as bad as some of the reviews out there would lead you to believe. Just be warned that this really isn't your traditional Robin Hood, at least not until the final couple minutes of the movie. This is pretty much the Batman Begins of Robin Hood. I liked almost all of the cast, with the possible exception of Crowe as Robin Hood. He wasn't bad per se in the role, I just felt as though he looked a bit out of place. Maybe that's just my preconceived notions of who Robin Hood is coming into play. The guy who played King John was especially good in my opinion, as were the Merry Men. I did think that the final "epic" battle was a bit of a mess and seemed kinda anticlimatic. Overall not bad but far from great.

Shutter Island: C+
I think this was one of the rare times when reading the book before the movie actually made me enjoy the movie less...and I actually thought that the movie was superior to the book, although I didn't like either all that much. The cast did a solid job across the board and the look of the island was great. Most of my problems are based in the plot. To me the big reveal at the end just doesn't seem realistic, and to a certain degree is evident from early on. All in all, not one of Scorsese's best.

MacGruber: C
This movie was really stupid, but it was also really funny. I'm torn as to how I should rate it.

The Wolfman: D
I was pretty disappointed by this film. The plot was pretty predictable, the Wolfman looked pretty ridiculous and the story was only so-so. Things I did like: Emily Blunt, the CGI transformations, the atmosphere and "look" of the film, all of the stuff in the asylum. After seeing the movie maybe they were smart to focus more on CGI, because the Wolfman that was obviously traditional makeup looked kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:
Daybreakers - Really creative, constant tension, stacked cast, damn good film. Really liked what they did with the concept. 8/10

The Wolfman - This really could've been great, but a lot of the usual things went wrong. Insane amount of CGI, jump-heavy blockbuster scares without much atmosphere or showmanship to them, bizarre pacing, etc. I love a lot of Joe Johnston's stuff but I think he's just not a horror director. M. Night Shymalan could've done a great job with this. Every actor does very well though. Hopkins saves the whole film. 5.5/10

I just read that they cut 17 minutes from the final cut of the film for theaters because the studio wanted audiences to get to the first Wolfman transformation sooner. Joe Johnston's putting these back for the DVD, which I want to see.

Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland - I think as entertainment this is pretty much critic-proof. It has a lot of the same problems with missed showmanship that Burton's Charlie And The Chocolate Factory had, but at the end of the day it's a fun tribute to Carroll's world packed with colourful, captivating visuals, a great cast, and a good old-fashioned fantasy quest element woven through which it's fun to see the well-known characters participate in. Where else are you going to be able to see
a Jokerized Johnny Depp using a garment mannequin to swordfight a one-eyed Crispin Glover?
6.5/10.

The Crazies - An interesting take on the Zombiepocalypse genre and an effective, suspenseful, scary film overall. Literally every second is suspenseful, never letting up. 7.5/10

Hot Tub Time Machine - Absolutely The Hangover meets Back To The Future, this was hilarious. With a little more effort they could've approached a BTTF level of changed-the-future emotion and satisfaction at the end, but it was still a borderline great movie. 8.5/10

Kick-Ass - Apart from a few details I would've changed, and maybe a different lead actor, this was so ****ing good. 9.5/10

Clash Of The Titans - This wasn't directed very well, and is one of the poorest uses of the 3D process I've seen yet. Worthington's still good, everyone was, especially Mads Mikilsen, there were some AWESOME moments(the whole
Medusa sequence
was probably my favourite part), and it benefits from the original story still being so good. In a lot of ways it's a great old-fashioned movie, but one of the most powerful feelings it elicted in me is still "appreciation for Peter Jackson". But I still enjoyed it. 7/10

A Nightmare On Elm Street - Barely scary and cluelessly directed, for the most part. But Haley is great and this film's story, and Freddy Krueger, are excellent and way, way more interesting than in the original. Some real horror direction, subtlety and scary imagery could've made the most of that story, but as it is this was still decent overall. 6/10

Iron Man 2 - This was amazingly engaging and entertaining, filled with captivating performances and some of the best effects-fueled action sequences in the whole superhero movie genre. The story parts didn't flow quite as well as in the first film, but the story was far bigger and more ambitious too, and in my opinion, worth that price. I loved every minute of it. 9.5/10

Ridley Scott's Robin Hood - Take Gladiator, mix it with 300, Kingdom of Heaven, and Beowulf and Grendel, now strip it of all the character, the spirit, the fun and the point. Pretty much. A "gritty reboot" of a character whose legend has been kept alive for a thousand years largely because of the merry, swashbuckling, fantastical elements was simply a bad idea. Crowe was great as usual and a potential sequel could really be something. This was not. 5/10. Ebert's review is spot-on.

Edge Of Darkness - I was basically expecting your usual Taken type of thing, but this was so much more(both plot-wise and overall quality). I forgot it was a Martin Campbell film until the end credits, but it's certainly up to his standard. Mel Gibson was amazing. 8.5/10

The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus - This is vintage Gilliam. The only frustrating thing is that CGI has replaced his traditional models and clay, which used to account for so much of his signature brand of surreality. Nevertheless, this is a fine film with a great story, tons of excellent performances from an eclectic, amazing cast and the fact that Burton's Alice In Wonderland made like ten times as much at the box office is pretty much a disgrace. Oh well. This will endure where it counts. 9.5/10.

Shutter Island - I swear to god, I watched the first minute of the first trailer when it appeared, decided I wanted to see it and shut my eyes for the remainder of the trailer, and hoped that.... this.... wouldn't be how it ended. When the all the hype over "the twist" started popping up, I assumed that it couldn't be what I was thinking of. At yet it was. I don't know how "the twist" got any hype or acclaim. I barely even get how they decided to put up the effort to make the whole movie and seriously do that ending, let alone also drop rock-solid hints to it throughout. However, every single other aspect of the entire film, acting, directing, editing, cinematography, and most of all characterization and development, was so good that it's still totally worth seeing. Also,
the last line in the film is kind of a mini-twist in its own right and makes it a whole point higher.
8/10

Splice - The first great creature feature I've seen in a long time. Excellent effects drive a daring story, with really dark humour, solid leads and loads of suspense. Delphine Chaneac's "Dren" is hypnotic. I also was fortunate enough to see it with a great audience who was really into it, laughing and clapping at all the right moments. Anyway, recommended. 8/10

The Book Of Eli - Fallout 3 with Christianity instead of the American Dream. The main reason I was looking forward to this was to balance out the bleakness of The Road(a great film) and explore the more fun side of the post-apoc genre, but it was quite a bit better than I expected. It has a lot of the stuff I hate about religion and faith, but also stuff I love about the idea of God, and they explore it from different sides fairly well. The action was excellently stylized, but sometimes felt kind of out of place in this film. Gary Oldman and his character were excellent, and the musical score was my favourite yet this year.
Most surprising of all, I liked the ending way more than that of ''Shutter Island''.
An entertaining and powerful film. 7.5/10

If you get it on disc, make sure to check out the animated mini-comic about Billy Carnegie as a kid. More great music too.

1. Toy Story 3 - 10/10 - As close to perfect as I think most filmmakers can manage... I cannot imagine a better note for the entire series to go out on... I was choked up for the last half-hour solid, and had to concentrate to keep myself from crying. This might be the best Pixar film yet.

2. How To Train Your Dragon - 9.5/10 - This towers over everything Dreamworks has accomplished before. A phenomenal story on par with most Pixar films. I can't even say how pleased I was to get to see this while it was still playing in theaters.

3. Shutter Island – 9/10 – By far the best film to be released this year, and the only thing on this list likely to make the Oscars next spring... DiCaprio is phenomenal in this beautifully filmed thriller.

4. Kick-Ass – 8/10 – High octane fun... Much better than the original comic book series in the way it dropped its aspirations towards reality and embraced the absurdity of ultraviolence in superheroism.

5. Hot Tub Time Machine - 7/10 - A really sweet movie and a great buddy comedy with only a handful of stale jokes. The way they handle the time travel in the film is problematic, but only we geeks would really nit-pick at that.

6. Iron Man 2 – 7/10 – High octane fun as well, but without the story-work that should have been there to make it truly unforgettable. Truly wish I could rank this higher, but regardless, I had one hell of a time watching this movie.

7. The Karate Kid - 7/10 - Surprisingly satisfying, and an extremely solid film. It's far from perfect, but it is fun and the fighting is incredible. Definitely worth the ticket price.

8. The A-Team - 7/10 - Okay wow, this probably comes from having had virtually no expectations for this film whatsoever, but even though i was in a bad mood going in, I have to admit the film was extremely fun. Probably the first time I've actually liked Bradley Cooper's character in a movie.

9. Get Him to the Greek - 6.5/10 - Funny but ultimately disappointing. Still love Aldous Snow, the fictional Rock God that he is, but at the end of the day, I was hoping for something closer to the other Apatow efforts in terms of the film's emotional side.

10. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 6/10 - Really should have been so much better... The world deserves the return of Freddy Kruger, and there's so much potential in a horror monster that lurks in the dreamworld that just probably won't ever happen... Until the round of Threemakes starts up in another 20 years (get ready, everyone). The worst part about these Platinum Dunes films is they haven't figured out that casting the lead female role is ****ing important. For the first 45 minutes, i didn't even know WHICH of the bland girls was supposed to be Nancy.

11. Alice in Wonderland – 5/10 – This should have been infinitely weirder than it ultimately was. What it ended up as was simply a cliched fantasy plot forced into Wonderland... Some good visuals and performances, but by far the least satisfying Burton film in ages.

12. Daybreakers – 5/10 – This movie really could have been good... I loved the world, and Sam Neil made for a great villainous vampire... But in the end, it was just all kind of stupid.

13. Legion – 3/10 – "Ain't got no shark teeth, paw!" made me laugh out loud. A lot of this movie did. I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all without the few beers I drank beforehand.

14. Shrek The Fourth - 1/10 - Having created this film, everyone on the production team should be put in prison forever. In particular the person who voiced Rumplestiltskin. I cannot even remember a less enjoyable film-going experience in recent history. At least Legion was LAUGHABLY terrible. Nobody in the theater laughed at this film. It was dead silent and sad.

Upcoming Movies to See:
The Last Airbender, Predators, Inception, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Dinner for Schmucks, The Other Guys, The Expendables, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Machete, The Adjustment Bureau, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Let Me In, Casino Jack, The Social Network, Tangled, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I, Tron Legacy, True Grit

Datenight -- C+
Greenzone -- B
How to Train A Dragon -- A-
Iron Man 2 -- A-
Robin Hood -- B-

Toy Story 3 -- A
This was an incredible movie. The short at the beginning was the best one I've ever seen by Pixar. The opening scene of the movie which
paid homage to both of the first two movies
was spectacular. I laughed hard throughout, I cried softly at the end (that's two Pixar movies in a row that have made me cry), I was genuinely worried about the characters during several points in the movie. Oh, and the monkey terrified me.

EDIT: I also watched (on DVD):
Edge of Darkness -- C+
It wasn't a bad movie, but I didn't really enjoy it. I think my friends liked it better than I did. It was slow, and dark (which i tend to not like much) and Mel Gibson with a Boston accent was kind of hard to accept. I also found it sort of predictable. It held my attention though, and it was easy to follow the plot. And the end was gratifying when he
pours the irradiated milk down the guy's throat and the under cover clean up guy shoots the douche-bag senator.

Last edited:
B+

- How to Train Your Dragon -- After last year's stinker "Monsters vs. Aliens," DreamWorks recovers with this short and sweet tale of Viking Hiccup (voiced by "Undeclared"'s Jay Baruchel) and his dragon Toothless. Craig Ferguson is terrific as comic relief, and the 3D flying scenes rival those of "Avatar"'s and might even be better. Not as good as "Kung Fu Panda" or the original "Shrek," but one of the better DreamWorks productions. You'll be wanting a dragon of your own after this one.
- Kick-Ass -- "Kick-Ass" kicked ass, and was even better than Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.'s brilliant comic book series in some ways. Chloe Moretz steals the show as Hit Girl and runs away with the movie. Nicolas Cage is great as Big Daddy, channeling Adam West and William Shatner, making it his second performance in a row (after last year's "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans") that doesn't completely stink. Also, I love that in the world in which "Kick-Ass" takes place, everybody watches "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" at night.

B

- Shutter Island -- Top-notch acting, cinematography in Scorcese's latest. One of the rare films that, on a second viewing, is a completely different movie. But it's too long, and the twist too gimmicky. No "Cape Fear."
- Waking Sleeping Beauty -- This archival footage documentary, which takes you behind the scenes at the House of Mouse during Disney's Second Golden Age (1989-1994), presents the all too familiar tale of the Disney Wars between Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Roy Disney. But it also spotlights the talented people who put together "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King," and it's a delight to revisit such a well-loved period of time when the hits just kept on coming.

B-

- Get Him to the Greek -- After getting early scoop about this movie from Jason Segel (in March of '09) and Rose Byrne (in July of '09), I was really looking forward to this one. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is one of my five favorite comedies of all time, so there were definitely high expectations. Unfortunately, like all of this year's movies, it seems, "The Greek" was a bit of a letdown. The songs (co-penned by Segel) are a good time and the supporting performances (like Diddy's and Byrne's) are winning, but in the end, it's hard to make a movie about a heroin addict funny. (I bet you Jody Hill could, though.) When it comes to re-watching, I'll stick with sober Aldous Snow, thanks.
- Hot Tub Time Machine -- The title is the best thing about this movie. It's worth seeing (on DVD), but don't expect many laughs. Craig Robinson rocks out to the Black Eyed Peas in the film's most memorable sequence, and Lizzy Caplan is lovely (and really, when isn't she?) as a romantic foil for John Cusack. Chevy Chase and Crispin Glover steal the show from the main actors in bit parts.
- MacGruber -- Surprisingly funny! Will Forte needs to star in more movies (rent "The Brothers Solomon," stat). Best viewed with a group of friends and late at night. The Jorma Taccone-directed flick ranks high up on the list of Best SNL Movies (after "Wayne's World" and "The Blues Brothers," obviously).

C+

- Iron Man 2 -- While not a BAD movie per se, "Iron Man 2" doesn't possess the same qualities that made the first one so much fun and entertaining. I would have loved to have seen more of Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer and less of Mickey Rourke's underwritten Ivan Vanko a.k.a. Whiplash.

C

- Alice in Wonderland -- The worst Tim Burton film I've ever seen all the way through. Mia Wasikowska ("In Treatment") as Alice was a great casting choice, however, and she does a lovely job.

I've only seen Kung Fu Panda once, but from what I remember, I would definitely say that How to Train Your Dragon was better.

And Shrek has nostalgia going for it b/c I loved it so much in high school. So I would probably rank them:

Shrek
How to Train Your Dragon
Kung Fu Panda

15. The Crazies
Meh. Why are all these small town survivors movies the same?

14. The Wolfman
Exactly what I expected to be. The atmosphere and mood were perfect and it was a just a really entertaining movie.

13. Hot Tub Time Machine
A really interesting premise, and while it had a few laughs, there really wasn't much to it.

12. Clash of the Titans
Great special effects, effective cast, and an average movie. Not as epic as I expecting. It felt awkward in some scenes, like they couldn't pull off what they were going for.

11. A Nightmare on Elm Street
Jackie is no Robert Englund but he was still great. It was a remake for good or bad. Nothing really new, but just more of the same with new look. But I still liked it well enough.

10. Robin Hood
I am more excited at the idea of a sequel then this one. It was basically Robin Hood Begins, and I did enjoy it. I thought King John was terrfic and any movie with Mark Strong and Kevin Durand is ok in my book.

9. The Book of Eli
Surpising how good it was. I loved the entire tone of the movie. It really suprised me with the whole purpose of the film.

8. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Best videogame adaption ever? Probably. But an average with a strong cast. Jake was a perfect Prince and even sounded like him. Gemma is great in anything, as I am sure I would be great in her. It had a similar tone to the Pirates movies, as it was made by the same company. I think that is a good thing.

7. How To Train Your Dragon
One of the more enjoyable Dreamworks films. Great voice cast and I want a pet dragon.

6. Alice in Wonderland
I went into thinking mediocre at best. It was quite better then I expected and one of Burton's best. Depp as the Mad Hatter, while on paper sounds awesome, was actually the worse part of the movie. He had some moments but mostly meh. Alice on the otherhand was wonderful.

5. Toy Story 3
I was expecting some so emotional that I wouldn't be able to control myself. It wasn't like that. It was great and had some great emotional scenes but it was still not enough. I was never a huge Toy Story fan anyway.

4. Kick-Ass
I wasn't a huge fan of the book and I think I like the movie better. I could stomach Nicholas Cage and while I liked some tweaks and changes, others I didn't.

3. Get Him to the Greek
I don't think it was as good as Forgetting Sarah Marshall but it was still awesome. Russell's Brand's "character" is still hilarious every moment on scene and I loved Jonah Hill in this. Some of the cameo's were great and Rose Byrne...mmm.

2. Shutter Island
I totally would of done the ending differently. At first I was going to be annoyed if they went that route but they totally made it work. The movie had terrific atmosphere.

1. Iron Man 2
I have seen a lot of complaints for this movie but it was going to happen with hyped sequel. While it may not be as good as the first, all the new additions made this awesome. Whiplash, Justin Hammer, and of course The Black Widow (my favorite part). It was another solid superhero movie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back