Movies of 2011

Proj, did you change your rating of SUPER 8? You initially gave it *****, no?

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
ATTACK THE BLOCK
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
SUPER 8
CARS 2
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
DRIVE
MONEYBALL
THE MUPPETS
HAPPY FEET TWO
WAR HORSE
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
UNKNOWN
HUGO

Top 10 coming next week!

Still working to see some more before the first, and then I'll be playing catch-up to see what else is out there. At that point I'll write up a line or two about each film.

1. Drive - 9.5/10
2. Melancholia - 9.5/10
3. Super 8 – 9/10
4. Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10
5. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - 9/10
6. Attack The Block – 9/10
7. Bridesmaids – 9/10
8. Hugo - 9/10
9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 8/10
10. Another Earth - 8/10
11. Cedar Rapids – 8/10
12. Midnight In Paris - 8/10
13. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 8/10
14. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5/10
15. Source Code – 7.5/10
16. The Help - 7.5/10
17. Hanna – 7.5/10
18. 50/50 – 7.5/10
19. The Ides of March - 7.5/10
20. Moneyball - 7.5/10
21. Page One: Inside The New York Times - 7/10
22. The Muppets - 7/10
23. Captain America: The First Avenger – 7/10
24. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil – 7/10
25. Thor – 7/10
26. X-Men: First Class – 7/10
27. Kung Fu Panda 2 - 7/10
28. Scream 4 – 7/10
29. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part Two – 6.5/10
30. Horrible Bosses – 6/10
31. Friends With Benefits - 6/10
32. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 6/10
33. Green Lantern – 6/10
34. Our Idiot Brother - 5/10
35. Red State – 5/10
36. American: The Bill Hicks Story – 5/10
37. Paranormal Activity 3 – 5/10
38. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark – 4/10
39. Paul – 3/10
40. Super – 3/10

Last edited:
Proj, did you change your rating of SUPER 8? You initially gave it *****, no?

I watched it again and didn't like it as much. It's still my third or fourth favourite film of the year.

I can't do a top 10 until the end of January or February.

Kill List (Ben Wheatley) - **** - 2011's Catfish; watch it knowing as little as possible. It's frustrating but fantastic.

The Hangover: Part II (Todd Phillips) - ***
Tekken: Blood Vengeance (Yoichi Mori) - **

Tintin tomorrow hopefully.

DSF, you and I have seen the same # of 2011 films so far! I'm usually much farther along by this point. :(

And I just updated my list with two more. Heh. (Tintin and Mission Impossible, which were both really, really good). My goal is to pass 40 films by the time I go back to work next Monday, and I have no doubt that I will succeed. BWA-HA-HAAA

Also: Further deliberation has swapped Drive and Melancholia.

EDIT: And don't see Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Such a disappointment.

Last edited:
The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B+ It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great. EDIT: After watching it again, I've changed my mind. It was a fun movie. I still liked Cap better -- B+

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
sub comes out of the bottom of the yacht
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Green Lantern -- C+ I gave this a better rating than Thor, probably not because it was better, but because I wasn't as disappointed with GL as I was with Thor. I didn't expect much going into GL, and it turns out it wasn't bad (it wasn't great either). EDIT: Upon further consideration, a B is too high of a grade for this movie. C+

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -- A- I liked it a lot. There were moments when i got the tingles and moments when i laughed I thought they handled Snape well, as well as Neville, who by the way is a dream boat in real life now:
But anyway, a great concluding chapter to the story.

Captain America: The First Avenger -- A Best superhero movie of the summer, and definitely up there with the best movies I've seen this year. I have very little to complain about with this movie, and I'll probably go see it again. Chris Evans was a really good Cap, and of course Tommy Lee Jones was incredible!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -- B+ I finally got around to seeing it. It was a solidly entertaining movie. James Franco did a good job, Tom Felton played Draco Malfoy as a hick who works at an ape house, and Andy Serkis was amazing as Caesar. I enjoyed it a lot.

The Muppets -- A This was everything a Muppet movie should be and more. I feel like if you're not a Muppet fan/don't appreciate ridiculous humour, you won't like it. But if that's the case, you're wrong. This movie was worth it for the barbershop quartet and the Jim Parsons (Sheldon from Big Bang Theory) cameo alone.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol -- A - I really appreciate that JJ Abrams isn't interested in rehashing the same stuff over and over again in these movies. M:I 3 was different than the two that came before it, and Ghost Protocol was different again. I liked it, but the whole thing with
Ethan's wife
was a little bit sad. Over all, not as good as the third, but a solid movie.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows -- B I felt like this movie relied too much on stylized action (slow motion explosions, etc). And while that stuff was cool, I missed the head games of the first movie. Jared Harris was a brilliant Moriarty and the scene at the opera was by far my favourite part. I was disappointed with
Irene Adler dying
almost right away, but i guess it gave some gravitas to Moriarty's
threats against Watson
. Overall, it was good, but I liked the original better.

Last edited:
Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
ATTACK THE BLOCK
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
SUPER 8
CARS 2
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
DRIVE
MONEYBALL
THE MUPPETS
HAPPY FEET TWO
WAR HORSE
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
UNKNOWN
HUGO
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B+ It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great. EDIT: After watching it again, I've changed my mind. It was a fun movie. I still liked Cap better -- B+

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
sub comes out of the bottom of the yacht
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Green Lantern -- C+ I gave this a better rating than Thor, probably not because it was better, but because I wasn't as disappointed with GL as I was with Thor. I didn't expect much going into GL, and it turns out it wasn't bad (it wasn't great either). EDIT: Upon further consideration, a B is too high of a grade for this movie. C+

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -- A- I liked it a lot. There were moments when i got the tingles and moments when i laughed I thought they handled Snape well, as well as Neville, who by the way is a dream boat in real life now:
But anyway, a great concluding chapter to the story.

Captain America: The First Avenger -- A Best superhero movie of the summer, and definitely up there with the best movies I've seen this year. I have very little to complain about with this movie, and I'll probably go see it again. Chris Evans was a really good Cap, and of course Tommy Lee Jones was incredible!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -- B+ I finally got around to seeing it. It was a solidly entertaining movie. James Franco did a good job, Tom Felton played Draco Malfoy as a hick who works at an ape house, and Andy Serkis was amazing as Caesar. I enjoyed it a lot.

The Muppets -- A This was everything a Muppet movie should be and more. I feel like if you're not a Muppet fan/don't appreciate ridiculous humour, you won't like it. But if that's the case, you're wrong. This movie was worth it for the barbershop quartet and the Jim Parsons (Sheldon from Big Bang Theory) cameo alone.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol -- A - I really appreciate that JJ Abrams isn't interested in rehashing the same stuff over and over again in these movies. M:I 3 was different than the two that came before it, and Ghost Protocol was different again. I liked it, but the whole thing with
Ethan's wife
was a little bit sad. Over all, not as good as the third, but a solid movie.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows -- B I felt like this movie relied too much on stylized action (slow motion explosions, etc). And while that stuff was cool, I missed the head games of the first movie. Jared Harris was a brilliant Moriarty and the scene at the opera was by far my favourite part. I was disappointed with
Irene Adler dying
almost right away, but i guess it gave some gravitas to Moriarty's
threats against Watson
. Overall, it was good, but I liked the original better.

The Artist -- B I went and saw this with the girl I'm dating because she's really into artsy stuff. It was an interesting movie and it had some cool cinematography. At the end of the day it wasn't really my cup of tea, but my (girl-)friend was happy, and I didn't mind it.

The Muppets
The Artist
The Descendants
Hugo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Bridesmaids
Moneyball
Paul
Super 8
50/50
Young Adult
We Bought a Zoo
Cedar Rapids
Warrior
Happy Feet Two
Drive
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Midnight in Paris
X-Men: First Class
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Horrible Bosses
The Green Hornet
Hanna
Puss in Boots
Cars 2
Rango
The Adventures of Tintin
The Ides of March
Win Win
Source Code
The Help
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Contagion
Captain America: The First Avenger
J. Edgar
Scream 4
Kung Fu Panda 2
Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Real Steel
War Horse
Bad Teacher
Red State
Anonymous
The Adjustment Bureau
Drive Angry 3D
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Thor
Mars Needs Moms
Immortals
The Three Musketeers
The Tree of Life
No Strings Attached
Fast Five
Batman: Year One
In Time
The Lincoln Lawyer
Green Lantern
The Hangover: Part II
All-Star Superman
Hall Pass
Red Riding Hood
I Am Number Four
If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Just Go With It
Season of the Witch
The Rite
The Eagle
Unknown
Sanctum
The Dilemma
The Mechanic
Mr. Popper's Penguins
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
The Craigslist Killer
Battle: Los Angeles
Thor: Tales of Asgard
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Neverland
Gnomeo and Juliet
The Roommate
Prom
Beastly
Almighty Thor

True statement. What I think really set this apart from that problem though is the fact that they're both the protagonists of the film rather than good guy vs. bad guy.

I just watched it. While I thought it was pretty good, and do agree about them both being protagonists, I just couldn't get myself to buy into that ending. I think a much better ending would have been if
Tommy beat the Russian in the final round and gave his brother some of the winnings to save his home. It just seemed like Brendan was clearly outmatched the entire time, and realistically wouldn't have made it past the Russian guy.

Latest posts

Back