Movies of 2011

I saw Hall Pass this weekend. It was pretty funny but I could tell they were trying for too much gross out humor for shock value.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
ATTACK THE BLOCK
UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2 -- Top 5
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
ANOTHER EARTH

Picture2-7.png

I'll post some comments later when I'm not lazy.

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR -- Top 5
ATTACK THE BLOCK
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS -- Top 5

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great.

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
sub comes out of the bottom of the yacht
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Green Lantern -- B I gave this a better rating than Thor, probably not because it was better, but because I wasn't as disappointed with GL as I was with Thor. I didn't expect much going into GL, and it turns out it wasn't bad (it wasn't great either).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -- A- I liked it a lot. There were moments when i got the tingles and moments when i laughed I thought they handled Snape well, as well as Neville, who by the way is a dream boat in real life now:
tumblr_lo4olg91d31qagoc0o1_500.jpg

But anyway, a great concluding chapter to the story.

Last edited:
Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
ATTACK THE BLOCK
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2 -- Top 5
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

The Green Hornet -- C+ It was relatively entertaining. Seth Rogan kind of grates on me. Kato was really what held the movie together. And James Franco at the beginning was the best part.

Unknown -- B Not as good as Taken, but still pretty fun. I was hoping that the OZ graffiti in the background all the way through the movie was going to be significant, or at least some kind of easter egg, but it turns out there is actually a graffiti artist in Germany who uses the pseudonym OZ and tags his work with that name.

Source Code -- B+ I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't really know what else to say besides that. It sort of tries to mess with your head but it doesn't really try very hard. The one thing that I found absolutely stupid about it was:
they knew the guy that bombed the train was going to bomb Chicago next, so he obviously got off the train. Why did they waste so much time checking out the passengers that stayed on the train?

Fast 5 -- A- By far the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I've only ever seen the original before this, so my buddy had to explain that this was actually a sequel to the mid-quel, which took a while for me to figure out, but the movie was fun, the action was over the top and ridiculous, the heist was pretty original, and the chase scenes were cool. There were a couple things I wish they would have left out as far as content, but it wasn't much and it was all pretty minor.

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great.

X-Men: First Class -- A- I liked it a lot. I really liked the 60s spy movie feel. When Shaw's
, people in the theatre thought it was dumb, but it felt James Bond-esque and I liked it. It did feel a bit long at the end, but I really liked it over all. I can't wait to see a sequel.

Green Lantern -- B I gave this a better rating than Thor, probably not because it was better, but because I wasn't as disappointed with GL as I was with Thor. I didn't expect much going into GL, and it turns out it wasn't bad (it wasn't great either).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -- A- I liked it a lot. There were moments when i got the tingles and moments when i laughed I thought they handled Snape well, as well as Neville, who by the way is a dream boat in real life now:

Captain America: The First Avenger -- A Best superhero movie of the summer, and definitely up there with the best movies I've seen this year. I have very little to complain about with this movie, and I'll probably go see it again. Chris Evans was a really good Cap, and of course Tommy Lee Jones was incredible!

Last edited:
Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
ATTACK THE BLOCK
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2 -- Top 5
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Seen so far this year:
DRIVE ANGRY 3D
RANGO -- Top 5
SUCKER PUNCH
THE WOMAN
LIMITLESS
HANNA
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
BRIDESMAIDS -- Top 5
YOUR HIGHNESS
THOR
ATTACK THE BLOCK
A SERBIAN FILM
KUNG FU PANDA 2
SUPER 8 -- Top 5
CARS 2
ANOTHER EARTH
NO STRINGS ATTACHED
WINNIE THE POOH
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 2
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE -- Top 5

This year I'm waiting for dvds or bluray for all films. So far :
  • Your Highness 9 / 10 : LOVED it, very funny and some clever ideas I thought.
  • Paul : 8.7 / 10 - Funny film , well done. Loved it.
  • Gnomeo & Juliet : 6 / 10 - For it was it was very fun. And pretty funny
  • The Green Hornet : 2 / 10 - Had moments was just too meh all round IMO.

Last edited:
Super 8
The Tree of Life

Attack the Block
Bridesmaids
Fast Five
Rango
Source Code
Submarine
Thor

The Adjustment Bureau
Hall Pass
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Paul
Scream 4
Winnie the Pooh
X-Men: First Class

Cedar Rapids
Drive Angry
The Green Hornet
Sucker Punch
Super

Last edited:
The Perfect Host was remarkable. Great surprises and turns, and the lead performances were obviously great. Make a point of seeing it.

[video=youtube;d6W8e2tdZ3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6W8e2tdZ3k[/video]

Edit: Don't go on YouTube and look at the comments on that video, too many spoilers.

Last edited:
  • Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 9.5 / 10 - I loved it. Best Pirates film since the first.
  • Your Highness 9 / 10 : LOVED it, very funny and some clever ideas I thought.
  • Paul : 8.7 / 10 - Funny film , well done. Loved it.
  • Gnomeo & Juliet : 6 / 10 - For it was it was very fun. And pretty funny
  • The Green Hornet : 2 / 10 - Had moments was just too meh all round IMO.
  • Sucker punch - 1.5 / 10 - So boring.

Last edited:
Drive
The Lion King 3D (does this count?)
Super 8
The Tree of Life

Attack the Block
Bridesmaids
Fast Five
Rango
Source Code
Submarine
Thor

The Adjustment Bureau
Hall Pass
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Paul
Scream 4
Winnie the Pooh
X-Men: First Class

Cedar Rapids
Drive Angry
The Green Hornet
Sucker Punch
Super

Thor -- B- It didn't quite work for me. I think I wanted a more character driven story. But it was funny and most of the acting and action was great. EDIT: After watching it again, I've changed my mind. It was a fun movie. I still liked Cap better -- B+

Captain America: The First Avenger -- A Best superhero movie of the summer, and definitely up there with the best movies I've seen this year. I have very little to complain about with this movie, and I'll probably go see it again. Chris Evans was a really good Cap, and of course Tommy Lee Jones was incredible!

Rise of the Planet of the Apes -- B+ I finally got around to seeing it. It was a solidly entertaining movie. James Franco did a good job, Tom Felton played Draco Malfoy as a hick who works at an ape house, and Andy Serkis was amazing as Caesar. I enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back