Movies of 2015

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Selma -- A- I liked it. It was obviously hard to watch in parts, but it was a good movie. I like how they showed Dr King's concern for all people and his doubts as he saw people dying. I like how they showed some of his warts. I like that white people weren't demonized in the movie and they emphasized the unity that was there at the march. I wonder how much of it was interpretation and if LBJ really was just that much of a political pragmatist. I don't know. But yeah, solid movie.

Selma -- A- I liked it. It was obviously hard to watch in parts, but it was a good movie. I like how they showed Dr King's concern for all people and his doubts as he saw people dying. I like how they showed some of his warts. I like that white people weren't demonized in the movie and they emphasized the unity that was there at the march. I wonder how much of it was interpretation and if LBJ really was just that much of a political pragmatist. I don't know. But yeah, solid movie.

Furious 7 -- C+ A few of my friends and I have gone together to see the last few of these. I've really liked the past three (4-6). They are usually really fun brainless action. This one was a little more over the top than the previous ones and at times was fun mostly because of how ridiculous it got. The Rock has become a parody of something... not sure what... probably himself. Every line, ever thing he did was perfectly macho and groan-worthy. Especially the way he removed his own cast. The ending was a nice tribute to Paul Walker and they wrapped everything up in such a way that they could either end the franchise (which they won't based on how much money it makes) or continue without O'Conner. Overall, it was not as good as the 4, 5, or 6, but definitely better than 2 and 3 and probably better than 1.

Last edited:

Furious 7 -- C+ A few of my friends and I have gone together to see the last few of these. I've really liked the past three (4-6). They are usually really fun brainless action. This one was a little more over the top than the previous ones and at times was fun mostly because of how ridiculous it got. The Rock has become a parody of something... not sure what... probably himself. Every line, ever thing he did was perfectly macho and groan-worthy. Especially the way he removed his own cast. The ending was a nice tribute to Paul Walker and they wrapped everything up in such a way that they could either end the franchise (which they won't based on how much money it makes) or continue without O'Conner. Overall, it was not as good as the 4, 5, or 6, but definitely better than 2 and 3 and probably better than 1.

Avengers: Age of Ultron -- B To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. It's pretty good, and it's fun. But it suffered from some of the same problems from which Thor and Iron Man 2 suffered. They spent too much time setting up the future movies and not enough time developing the story. Ultron and the Maximoffs needed more development in the first act. I kind of wish Hydra & Strucker had played a bigger part in the film before Ultron took over as the main villain who wants to destroy all life. That would have provided more time to explore the twins and Ultron's motivations and who they were. And all the crap about the
mind gem
just felt so shoehorned in. Besides that, though, it was decent. Lots of fun action, lots of nice character moments, lots of laughs. So it was pretty good, but suffered from sequel-baiting.

Last edited:
Mad Max: Fury Road- Fury Road is a ******* all-you-can-eat buffet with a desert bar the size of Mt Everest: it's a completely filling, delicious treat of a film.

I saw Tomorrowland yesterday, and generally I liked it. The good: the overall themes and ideas that the movie presented were really good and refreshing. This movie was all about positivity and having hope for the future (and further convinced me that Brad Bird should direct a Superman movie). There is an evil plot that the heroes have to prevent, but it was really well done and made quite a bit of sense, which is rare in summer blockbusters. The child actors were really good, in my opinion, especially an actress named Raffey Cassidy. She's probably the best thing about the movie, and I generally find child actors annoying. The visuals were also really well done. The bad: I thought the main actress was pretty annoying, and didn't really care for her at all. George Clooney was decent, but not exceptional. Cassidy actually stole quite a few of the scenes they both were in. The main issue is that the story is a bit all over the place, especially early on. You don't see too much of "Tomorrowland" until quite a ways into the movie, and they don't really explain what is going on until the last half of the movie, which I thought was an odd choice. Thinking more about the movie, the stuff in Tomorrowland was really interesting and well done, while the stuff on Earth was pretty boring and scattered in comparison.

Overall I'd give it a C+. There are some pretty noticeable flaws, and I found myself pretty bored during the first half of the movie. However, I really liked the ending of the movie and the general message that they present. Some may call it heavy handed and simplistic, which it is to a certain extent. However, the themes were very refreshing in contrast to the recent emphasis on dark, apocalyptic films and TV shows.

Last edited:
I just got back from seeing Jurassic World. It was pretty good. I tempered my expectations after hearing some mixed things going in, but it was quite a bit better than what I was expecting. Some of the stuff that happens is a tad bit cheesy, and the kids are never really that interesting or compelling, but overall it was a fun and entertaining ride. There's a subplot about the military
training to use velociraptors in combat.
I didn't love that subplot, but it does work more than I feared. Overall, I'd give it a B+ and say it's my second favorite movie in the franchise (after the original, of course).

I just got back from seeing Jurassic World. It was pretty good. I tempered my expectations after hearing some mixed things going in, but it was quite a bit better than what I was expecting. Some of the stuff that happens is a tad bit cheesy, and the kids are never really that interesting or compelling, but overall it was a fun and entertaining ride. There's a subplot about the military
training to use velociraptors in combat.
I didn't love that subplot, but it does work more than I feared. Overall, I'd give it a B+ and say it's my second favorite movie in the franchise (after the original, of course).

I didn't liked this movie at all.
It created so much hype and got me excited for it.
It had boring story and action. But CGI was good though.
And I am saying it's terrible by comparing it with the first one.

I didn't liked this movie at all.
It created so much hype and got me excited for it.
It had boring story and action. But CGI was good though.
And I am saying it's terrible by comparing it with the first one.

I don't know how you can say the action was boring. Considering this is the fourth in the series, I thought the action felt fresh and was really good. There wasn't a lot to the story, but these movies have never really had involved plots. The only plot point I would have changed about this movie is the subplot with the raptors, plus maybe less time with the kids. That said, neither of those subplots were too distracting or terrible. The first is far superior, but then again that's a modern classic. For what they needed to do, I think they did a pretty good job. If anything, I would have liked a bit more time to explore the tourist attractions at the park before the s*** hit the fan.

Just saw Mad Max recently. That was insane! Never knew how awesome a movie consisting of one big car chase could be :D

Welcome back Nurhachi!

I took the kids to see Jurassic World and it was fantastic and great. Anyone who says otherwise hates movies and hates fun.

Avengers: Age of Ultron -- B To be honest, I was a bit disappointed. It's pretty good, and it's fun. But it suffered from some of the same problems from which Thor and Iron Man 2 suffered. They spent too much time setting up the future movies and not enough time developing the story. Ultron and the Maximoffs needed more development in the first act. I kind of wish Hydra & Strucker had played a bigger part in the film before Ultron took over as the main villain who wants to destroy all life. That would have provided more time to explore the twins and Ultron's motivations and who they were. And all the crap about the
mind gem
just felt so shoehorned in. Besides that, though, it was decent. Lots of fun action, lots of nice character moments, lots of laughs. So it was pretty good, but suffered from sequel-baiting.

Inside Out -- A+ Pixar does it again. They're amazing story tellers. This movie was spectacular, funny, and touching. I laughed a lot, and cried a bit too.

Last edited:

mind gem

Inside Out -- A+ Pixar does it again. They're amazing story tellers. This movie was spectacular, funny, and touching. I laughed a lot, and cried a bit too.

Ant-Man -- B+ It was good. Not spectacular, but fun and funny and fresh. Not all of the humour worked for me, but it was pretty good. They got the dynamic of Scott's family dead on. I liked Michael Douglas as Hank Pym and Evangeline Lilly did pretty well as Hope Pym. Some of the father daughter stuff between Hank and Hope was cheesy, but nothing to really complain about. Michael Peña was one of the best parts of the movie. The shrinking stuff was awesome.
Falcon's
extended cameo was really great. There were also a lot of nods to the comics, which I appreciated.

Last edited:

mind gem

Ant-Man -- B+ It was good. Not spectacular, but fun and funny and fresh. Not all of the humour worked for me, but it was pretty good. They got the dynamic of Scott's family dead on. I liked Michael Douglas as Hank Pym and Evangeline Lilly did pretty well as Hope Pym. Some of the father daughter stuff between Hank and Hope was cheesy, but nothing to really complain about. Michael Peña was one of the best parts of the movie. The shrinking stuff was awesome.
Falcon's
extended cameo was really great. There were also a lot of nods to the comics, which I appreciated.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation -- B+ This movie was fun. I liked M:I 3 and Ghost Protocol better, but it was still fun. It was cool having Ving Rhames back as a main character too. And there were a few little nods to the previous movies.

Last edited:

mind gem

Falcon's

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation -- B+ This movie was fun. I liked M:I 3 and Ghost Protocol better, but it was still fun. It was cool having Ving Rhames back as a main character too. And there were a few little nods to the previous movies.

The Martian -- A- I think this movie got right a lot of the stuff that Interstellar got wrong. I know this one tried to me more realistic and Interstellar was pretty hard sci-fi, but they were still both "lost in space" stories. But where Interstellar was bleak, The Martian had really well done humour and humanity to make it work. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I'll try to write mini-reviews, but here are my grades for the films I've seen in theaters this year.

Kingsman: The Secret Service: B-
Furious 7: B
Get Hard: C-
A Most Violent Year: B+
What We Do In The Shadows: A
Avengers: Age of Ultron: B-
Mad Max: Fury Road: A-
Tomorrowland: C+
Spy: B
Jurassic World: B+
Inside Out: A-
Ant-Man: B-
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: B-
Black Mass: B
Sicario: A
The Martian: A-
Crimson Peak: B+

mind gem

Falcon's

The Martian -- A- I think this movie got right a lot of the stuff that Interstellar got wrong. I know this one tried to me more realistic and Interstellar was pretty hard sci-fi, but they were still both "lost in space" stories. But where Interstellar was bleak, The Martian had really well done humour and humanity to make it work. I enjoyed it.

Bridge of Spies -- A- I liked this movie a lot. They did a good job of really making you like Tom Hanks' character, as well as the Russian spy. It was a good story.

Last edited:
Kingsman: The Secret Service: B-
Furious 7: B
Get Hard: C-
A Most Violent Year: B+
What We Do In The Shadows: A
Avengers: Age of Ultron: B-
Mad Max: Fury Road: A-
Tomorrowland: C+
Spy: B
Jurassic World: B+
Inside Out: A-
Ant-Man: B
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: B-
Black Mass: B
Sicario: A
The Martian: A-
Crimson Peak: B
The Peanuts Movie: A-
Spectre: B-
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2: B-
Creed: A-

Last edited:
You guys have way more time and money then I do :( that or I just spend it all on comics...

mind gem

Falcon's

Bridge of Spies -- A- I liked this movie a lot. They did a good job of really making you like Tom Hanks' character, as well as the Russian spy. It was a good story.

Jurassic World -- A- I just rented and watched this. I liked it. It wasn't really all that different than what came before, but easily the best since the original. It felt a bit like How To Train Your Dragon, there at the end.

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens -- B+ It was good, but not perfect. I posted a more thorough review in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back