Movies that would make good comics

the watcher

IGN.com has 10 movies they think would make good comics. So take a look, say what you think, and the post what movie(s) would make a good comic or what comic would you like to see made into a movie? Also if you what add your pick of writters and artists.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/695/695158p1.html

My picks:

Bad Boys
Conspiracy Theory
Final Destination
Planet Of The Apes
The Princess Bride
Rush Hour
Unbreakable
XXX
The Godfather
Pulp Fiction

Last edited:
Re: IGN.com puts up their top ten movies. that would make a good comic book

Very very Lame top 10 (IGN), I'll post mine later.

Last edited:

Princess Bride. That would be awesome.

Here's mine

The Chronicles of Riddick

I love would love to see Warren Ellis take on Riddick.

Underworld
I think Mark Miller could do well with this. If not Rucka might. Turner would be great with the art. But I think Joss Whedon would do the best as long as it wasn't like Buffy.

Pirates Of The Caribean
I think Bendis is the only one I can think of that could capture the charisma on paper of Jack Sparrow. Have him team with Maleev or Lark.

Kill Bill
I agree that Frank Miller needs to handle this.

Matrix
Imagine the things that Morrison or Ellis could do with this with Finch.

Van Helsing
Mike Carey and Tim Bradstreet could add the demonic grittiness I'd expect.

King Arthur
If they made this like the movie. It would be perfect. I think that this would be a Carey title. Someone like Jae Lee.

Ghostbusters
Another thing that would be great with Morrison. They really need to update this. With Cassady on art.

Last edited:

They called Kill Bill "Kill for Bill"... :?

Men In Black
Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch

They added catchy titles to each movie.

ProjectX2 said:
Men In Black
This was a comic book before it was a movie.

My Top 10...
Unbreakable
Hero
James Bond
Weird Science
Bedazzled
The Guyver (was this a comic?)
Rosewood
The Transporter
8mm
Shaka Zulu​

Last edited:

I totally agree with some of their selections...

IGN said:
#9 The Transporter
It's a brilliant set-up for a comic (or a BMW commercial) -- A skilled combatant transports things. While the movie tends to limit this to cars, the comic has no budget and therefore the idea of transportation can be a bit broader. With Morrision at the helm, there are certain to be some interesting items being couriered around the globe.

Dream Writer: Grant Morrison
Dream Artist: Jim Lee

Most def!!!! This would immediately go into my pull list!!! Nothing but pointless over-the-top action.......

IGN said:
#8 Bourne Again
Rather than following the novels/movies directly, Warren Ellis takes the premise of a highly-coveted covert operative who's lost his memory. Trouble is, as he begins to piece together his life, he finds that he hates the man he once was. Alex Maleev's art provides the kinetic feeling of the movie's trademark shaky cam.

Dream Writer: Warren Ellis
Dream Artist: Alex Maleev

Obviously with Ellis writing...the story is golden!!!

IGN said:
#3 Kill for Bill
This ongoing series is destined for Frank Miller's hands. Before you Miller-detractors freak out, consider that Frank has done some stellar work with ronin in the past. This is Frank's chance to follow the life of a warrior before falling from grace, with the foresight that somewhere deep down in Beatrix Kiddo's soul, there is a part of her that will defy her master in the future.

Dream Writer: Frank Miller
Dream Artist: Frank Miller

I think Miller would be perfect for writing this. Especially with arcs by "special guest writer" Tarantino. And while I do love Miller's art....I would go for someone else like Immomen. His bright color and over the top animation would be better suited. But that's just my opinion....

IGN said:
#1 Pulp Fiction
"Mine's the comic book that says 'Bad Muthaf---er' on the cover." From the minds of Brian Bendis and Howard Chaykin comes a fast-talking, episodic noir comic book that features appearances by characters from Pulp Fiction. However, new characters also spotlight this series, which offers hard-hitting tales of LA criminals and is infused with pop-culture sensibilities. Sex, violence and a foot massage for $2.99.

Dream Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Dream Artist: Howard Chaykin

Bendis is the master of ramble. Although I'm not sure if the series would be different stories intertwining at once or issues/arcs covering just one story? Hmmmm....... :?

Now while I love all those choices above...here are a couple of my choices:

Ocean's = We all know that a script is being written for the upcoming "Ocean's 13".......but what about a continuation in the comic books in the form of a miniseries? I'm having a hard time coming up with the actual reason they would all get back together again...but a miniseries rotating around a heist could be an interesting concept.

Dream Writer: Brian Bendis and Steven Sodenberg
Dream Artist: Adam Kubert

Guitaristo = Based on Robert Rodriguez's "Mariachi" trilogy....this series would follow the life of El as he battles whatever baddies Mexico can produce. No real continuity. Just a series of stand alone arcs....like Punisher MAX. It would be similar to a Zorro as El wants to just disappear....but the people need his help.

Dream Writer: Garth Ennis
Dream Artist: Steve McNiven

Man on Fire = The story of John Creasy during his CIA days. Case after case...problem after problem. All of this would be leading up to his breakdown and quitting the CIA. All events would take place prior to the movie.

Dream Writer: Ennis
Dream Artist: Deodato

Gladiator = The rise of Maximus. This too would be a prequel. It would follow the exploits of Maximus as he rises thru the ranks of the Roman army.

Dream Writer: Mark Millar
Dream Artist: Lenil Yu

Last edited:

Man on Fire, that's a good pick. I love that movie.

Victor Von Doom said:
Gladiator = The rise of Maximus. This too would be a prequel. It would follow the exploits of Maximus as he rises thru the ranks of the Roman army.

Dream Writer: Mark Millar Dream Artist: Lenil Yu or David Finch
A Maximus comic would be sweet. I could definitely see Finch drawing this, his style would be very good for this type of book.

wow. Morrison on Ghostbusters would be incredible. I'm put Quitely on it, but still. Absolutely incredible.

I think Finch would be the best for Matrix because he can just draw Neo's face once and then use the same panel for every ounce of dialogue/response he has.

What I'd Like:

MacGuyver = Stan Lee, whoever is the artist for Giffen. I always saw that show as a comic book, as he was a deux ex machina. I think Stan Lee would write it well, if he didn't try to write in jokes, and instead just tried to write seriously like he used to, and just made it ridiculous by accident.

haha to think of other ones is hard. I'll be back later with those. but honestly, Morrison could probably write any of them. Except zombies. That's kirkman.

I think Man On Fire was what the punisher should of been.

Boondock Saints

Ennis and Jones. That would rock so much.

Last edited:

Unbreakable
The further adventures of David Dunn. Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies and a comic book is logical. Imagine more villains, David's powers increasing, and him finding others like himself.
Writer: Brian K. Vaughn Why: Ex Machina)

Buckaroo Banzai
A genius who is a top neurosurgeon, physicist, rock star, swordsman, marksman, etc. who regularly faces alien reptiles and Japanese crime lords. This SCREAMS for a comic book, especially since it's based on Doc Savage. (Our prayers have been answered, as Moonstone is publishing comics based on Buckaroo in April.)
Writer: Mark Millar Why: Ultimate Fantastic Four

Tron
A comic would easily expand the Tron universe. I wanna' see more of the internet that was briefly glimpsed in the Tron 2.0 game, and I wanna' see the digital world's versions of spyware, pop-ups, forums, and dead websites. (This, too, is getting its own comic book soon.)
Writer: ?

Back to the Future
The possibilities are endless. If it includes elements from The Ride and the cartoon, then the Institute of Future Technology exists. I wanna' see how the public reacts to time travel and what happens when more villainous people than Biff get their hands on the technology.
Writer: Mark Millar Why: Ultimate Fantastic Four

The Incredibles
I wanna' see more heroes and villains in the further adventures of the Parrs, especially since there are always unique spins on them.

Indiana Jones
Endless possibilities.

Last edited:

Doc Comic said:
Indiana Jones
Endless possibilities.

They did an Indiana Jones comic and it did end. :D

Bringing this back because I think It's still a great idea, but I agree that IGN did a ****ty job at choosing films and a worse one at choosing...

1. As mentioned, Boondock Saints would make a great comic, much better than it made a movie, I think....
2. I agree with IGN that the Kill Bill universe would be great to explore in a comic.
3. Firefly was primarily a TV series, and there was and are miniseries in the works... but an ongoing Firefly comic would be wonderful, I have to say.
4. Jurassic Park... Similar premise to The Lost World, methinks... With a touch of some of the ideas I heard for JP4... The main characters would be the grown Lex and Tim from the first movie, and they would be trying to get the extensive original research from Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar, when they face corporate rivals trying to capture Dinosaurs for themselves, and probably some rogue scientists still living on the island testing the Dinosaurs and creating new ones, etc.... I'm thinking Tim in sort of a Reed Richards adventurist sort of role. I'd love to see Dr. Ian Malcolm in this as well. We'd also get some backstory spliced in with the characters from the first one... setting seeds like Dennis getting ready to betray the company.
5. Pirates of the Carribean - Backstory of Jack Sparrow and exploration of the mythical carribean.

More Later

Maybe a mod should relabel the thread "Movies that would make good Comic Book Series"

This was a good idea for an article. Too bad it was lousily written.

I think a remake of Jack by Mark Millar and Cameron Stewart would be great.

wow. Morrison on Ghostbusters would be incredible. I'm put Quitely on it, but still. Absolutely incredible.

I think Finch would be the best for Matrix because he can just draw Neo's face once and then use the same panel for every ounce of dialogue/response he has.

What I'd Like:

MacGuyver = Stan Lee, whoever is the artist for Giffen. I always saw that show as a comic book, as he was a deux ex machina. I think Stan Lee would write it well, if he didn't try to write in jokes, and instead just tried to write seriously like he used to, and just made it ridiculous by accident.

haha to think of other ones is hard. I'll be back later with those. but honestly, Morrison could probably write any of them. Except zombies. That's kirkman.

I was just reading through the posts and found this offensive.
Quitely is by far the worst artist I have ever seen. I could draw better then him.

I was just reading through the posts and found this offensive.
Quitely is by far the worst artist I have ever seen. I could draw better then him.

Which Quitely comics have you read? He does take a bit getting used to, but he is definitely not the worst artist I've ever seen.

Which Quitely comics have you read? He does take a bit getting used to, but he is definitely not the worst artist I've ever seen.

The new X-men ones. He makes everyone's face wrinkly and manages to make Jean Grey ugly. Plus the costume designs were horrendous. :evil:

Latest posts

Back