'Multiple Mutant Factions'

Goodwill

I was re-reading the October solicitations to find that these three words were included in the fight taking place in the Triskelion in Magnetic North. Seems to me, reading this over again,that Vaughan is taking the oppurtunity, not only to re-release Magneto, but the other members of the Brotherhood as well. I know that it was speculated before and members on Vaughan's board have even asked him about this, but I believe this gives us SOMETHING of an answer.

Personally, I can't wait to see whether or not Sabertooth died, this would certainly provide us with an explanation, and if Forge went straight edge or not. It's an oppurtunity and one that I hope pans out as I expect it to.

Goodwill said:
Personally, I can't wait to see whether or not Sabertooth died, this would certainly provide us with an explanation, and if Forge went straight edge or not. It's an oppurtunity and one that I hope pans out as I expect it to.

I hope that Vaughan does bring back Sabertooth. Id love to see his take on Sabertooth. Hopefully Toad comes out too. BRING BACK TOAD!!!!

Nah, sabretooth ain't dead. And I do think that this will be an evil mutant reboot.

And dammit, stop being so accent driven, it's 'opportunity'.

pfft, surprised you didn't type oppurtooniddy. :D

Uh, wouldn't you guys be wondering who the other factions are? If it was just 'multiple factions', that'd be X-Men vs. Magneto vs. SHIELD, but the MUTANT part of that makes me wonder if some of Emma's students will try to avenger their comrades.

jtg3885 said:
Uh, wouldn't you guys be wondering who the other factions are? If it was just 'multiple factions', that'd be X-Men vs. Magneto vs. SHIELD, but the MUTANT part of that makes me wonder if some of Emma's students will try to avenger their comrades.
Good point. One that I was thinking for a second too. It makes sense, totally.

It'll also help us date UXM's current run. Because wasn't that the cover that showed the Black Widow in armor? Meaning UXM is now caught up with at least U2 #4?

jtg3885 said:
It'll also help us date UXM's current run. Because wasn't that the cover that showed the Black Widow in armor? Meaning UXM is now caught up with at least U2 #4?
Yeap, that is correct.

jtg3885 said:

How did you come up with that?

Yes, JTG has something, indeed! :) Havok will definitely have something to do with the scuffle in the Trisk, if only to free his mate, and his teammates and mentor are likely to follow... I really never considered that at all! Cool thoughts, J. ;)

Yeah, I really would like to see Toad, if only to see him rendered by Immonen. I think he would do a terrific job. Art aside, he's shaping up to be a much cooler character than his 616 counterpart, so he'll definitely be welcomed back with open arms.

Without going into it, I do think Sabertooth's fate is questionable. Wolverine diced his head and, hopefully, we'll see more than just a carcass. I want to see him in action again.

Who else do we have to look forward to? Unus? Harddrive? Vanisher? Multiple Man? These are characters that haven't gotten much more than a cameo... These are the guys that I really want to see back. :cool:

It was either U2 #3 or #4 where Tony gave Natasha the Black Widow armor as a present. So if Natasha is actually WEARING the armor in the issue, and it's not just one of those covers that looks good but has nothing to do with the issue, then it means that UXM is currently occurring (and possibly USM) a lot further in the future than our site timeline is currently pegging them at. And if USM is way back where we have it and UXM is way caught up with U2, then that might really prevent the Kitty/Peter relationship that people are talking about.

Goodwill said:

I think Sabretooth is still alive. Sure he got his head cut off, but since he's got the same healing factor as Logan, its very possible someone picked up the head and body, reattached them, and allowed Sabretooth to heal himself. Maybe it caused some long term damage or brain damage which is why we haven't seen him in awhile, who know? Its very possible Sabretooth will reappear at some point.

René said:
How did you come up with that?

Because on the cover it shows the Ultimates and Black Widow is in her Iron Man suit. This would indicate the Magnetic North arc occurs during Ultimates 2, at least AFTER #4 when she first gets the armor, and most likely before the end of the arc when the team most likely will break up. I assume that the Magnetic North arc is occurring in the "Six weeks later" time jump of Ultimates 2 #7, same with the Ultimates Annual #1.

Course, with Marvel's habit of featuring things on covers which have nothing to so with the story, this could be a moot point, but we'll see. As it stands now, it looks like it occurs during Ultimates 2.

jtg3885 said:
It was either U2 #3 or #4 where Tony gave Natasha the Black Widow armor as a present. So if Natasha is actually WEARING the armor in the issue, and it's not just one of those covers that looks good but has nothing to do with the issue, then it means that UXM is currently occurring (and possibly USM) a lot further in the future than our site timeline is currently pegging them at. And if USM is way back where we have it and UXM is way caught up with U2, then that might really prevent the Kitty/Peter relationship that people are talking about.

Not sure what you mean by the "then it means that UXM is currently occurring (and possibly USM) a lot further in the future than our site timeline is currently pegging them at" line. I think its pretty obvious Spider-Man hasn't caught up with the rest of the Ultimate titles in the timeline yet. Its all but confirmed the Ultimate X-Men has, and Ultimate FF definitly have caught up to the Ultimates based on them showing up in those titles in their new U2 uniforms. But don't forget, Spider-Man got his powers before the Ultimates were formed, and only nine months have passed in that title between #1 and #72, yet a year has passed between Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Thats why Ultimate Spider-Man is still hanging in 2003, while the rest of the titles have made the jump to 2004. Besides, we recently saw the Ultimates show up in USM recently when they were fighting Ultimate Deathlok (#70 or 71) and they were still in their old costumes, so this is more evidence to back that up.

DIrishB said:
Not sure what you mean by the "then it means that UXM is currently occurring (and possibly USM) a lot further in the future than our site timeline is currently pegging them at" line. I think its pretty obvious Spider-Man hasn't caught up with the rest of the Ultimate titles in the timeline yet. Its all but confirmed the Ultimate X-Men has, and Ultimate FF definitly have caught up to the Ultimates based on them showing up in those titles in their new U2 uniforms. But don't forget, Spider-Man got his powers before the Ultimates were formed, and only nine months have passed in that title between #1 and #72, yet a year has passed between Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Thats why Ultimate Spider-Man is still hanging in 2003, while the rest of the titles have made the jump to 2004. Besides, we recently saw the Ultimates show up in USM recently when they were fighting Ultimate Deathlok (#70 or 71) and they were still in their old costumes, so this is more evidence to back that up.
First of all, addressing the Deathlok fight... wasn't that during the dinner with Mary Jane that turned out to be a nightmare created by Peter's mind because of whatever demon or junk was in his system? Are we really going to try and date the comics based upon what Peter's subconscious comes up with?

Second of all, I doubt UXM's Magnetic North can fit so perfectly neatly between U2 #6 and U2 #7 like you have it (and I could have sworn it was elsewhere on the timeline last time I downloaded it). What are the odds that with all of the fighting and crap, there's no damage to the Triskelion, and even if that's repaired, that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of note happens in that engagement, that there's no hints of it in U2 #7?

jtg3885 said:
Or after U2 entirely. When does this come out relative to the traitor issue?

I don't think this will occur AFTER U2 as its all but confirmed the team will break up at the end of Ultimates 2, that might make it hard to still undertake missions. This issue comes out in October, the month after Ultimates 2 #8, which is supposedly going to reveal the traitor.

Again, I'm pretty sure both the Ultimates Annual and the Magnetic North arc in UXM occur during the "six weeks later" jump in Ultimates 2 #7.

jtg3885 said:
First of all, addressing the Deathlok fight... wasn't that during the dinner with Mary Jane that turned out to be a nightmare created by Peter's mind because of whatever demon or junk was in his system? Are we really going to try and date the comics based upon what Peter's subconscious comes up with?

I don't think that was a part of Peter's dream. He didn't go into the trance until he went to Strange's house. And even if it were, I'm basing the timeline placements on more than that. I just typed this, but here you go again:

Spider-Man got his powers before the Ultimates were formed, and only nine months have passed in that title between #1 and #72, yet a year has passed between Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Thats why Ultimate Spider-Man is still hanging in 2003, while the rest of the titles have made the jump to 2004.

You see what I'm saying now? The Ultimates didn't form until after Spidey got his powers. We know only a little more than 9 months have passed since Spider-Man got his powers. The Ultimates 2 occurs a year after the Ultimates. This means that the Ultimates 2 occurs at least a year after USM #1. And since only nine months have passed in USM...no way it could have caught up yet.

I think this is an example of Bendis wanting to keep Peter a teenager for as long as possible. While the other titles aren't bogged down with this "perpetual youth" approach, Bendis is keeping the time crawl as slow as possible to take advantage of this. Hence, the USM timeline hasn't caught up to the rest of the Ultimate titles.

Second of all, I doubt UXM's Magnetic North can fit so perfectly neatly between U2 #6 and U2 #7 like you have it (and I could have sworn it was elsewhere on the timeline last time I downloaded it). What are the odds that with all of the fighting and crap, there's no damage to the Triskelion, and even if that's repaired, that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of note happens in that engagement, that there's no hints of it in U2 #7?

Same reason there's no hints of Gah Lak Tus anywhere outside of Nightmare and Secret so far. And you do remember Ultimate Six, right? There was crazy damage to the Triskelion after that, yet the next time we saw it it was back up and running fine. I don't think you can use that as viable evidence in regards to comic books. And it doesn't fit neatly in between #6 and 7, it occurs DURING #7 with the "six weeks later" jump. Six weeks is more than enough time for this arc to take place.

Eh, I think it's all subjective, because I really don't think Marvel is paying that much attention to what it's various writers are doing, and short of making major changes that would impact the characters the other is playing with, they seem to be allowed to toss people back and forth between the different titles.

So, what the hell were we talking about before this turned into Timeline Topic #2?

Last edited:
jtg3885 said:
Wrongo. They reference the events of U2 #7 in the past tense, both with the Goliaths/Giant-Men, and that scene between Fury and 'Viktor' the fat man.

Have you actually been reading my posts? Yes, they reference the Ultimates invasion from the first few pages of Ultimates 2 #7. Which is why I've been saying this occurs during the time jump in #7. Don't you think if the entire issue of #7 took place before the Annual, they would've mentioned Hawkeye's death (or near-death experience depending on what happens). Look, it plays out like this:

The Ultimates 2 #1, "The Ultimates 2"
The Ultimates 2 #2, "Dead Man Walking"
The Ultimates 2 #3, "The Trial of the Hulk"
The Ultimates 2 #4, "Brothers"
The Ultimates 2 #5, "The Passion Play"
The Ultimates 2 #6, "The Defenders" (pg. 1-12)
The Ultimates 2 #7, "Wolf In The Fold" (pg. 1-10)
The Ultimates 2 #6, "The Defenders" (pg. 13-23)

Ultimate X-Men #61, "Magnetic North, Part 1"
Ultimate X-Men #62, "Magnetic North, Part 2"**
Ultimate X-Men #63, "Magnetic North, Part 3"**
Ultimate X-Men #64, "Magnetic North, Part 4"**
Ultimate X-Men #65, "Magnetic North, Part 5"**
The Ultimates Annual #1, "The Reserves"
The Ultimates 2 #7, "Wolf In The Fold" (pg. 11-22)

The Ultimates 2 #8, "Grand Theft America"**
The Ultimates 2 #9**
The Ultimates 2 #10**
The Ultimates 2 #11**
The Ultimates 2 #12**

jtg3885 said:
Eh, I think it's all subjective, because I really don't think Marvel is paying that much attention to what it's various writers are doing, and short of making major changes that would impact the characters the other is playing with, they seem to be allowed to toss people back and forth between the different titles.

Well its subjective to a point, unless there's hard evidence to back it up otherwise. And there's plenty of evidence to place Magnetic North and the Ultimates Annual where I did (but I've already listed it all so I'm not going to again). The way its ordered on my timeline leaves no discrepancies and makes sense (at least to me). I hate to break up issues as it just complicates things, but sometimes its the only way for the timeline to make sense.

So, what the hell were we talking about before this turned into Timeline Topic #2?

The various mutant factions who could be battling it out in the Triskelion, right now it could end up being the X-Men, remaining Brotherhood members, possible Emma's Hellions/Ultimate X-Factor, and the Ultimates (though the only mutants on that team are Wasp, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch, but it still works).

jtg3885 said:

I mentioned the fact that we've got characters such as Harddrive, Multiple Man, Vanisher, and Unus the Untouchable that have only gotten a cameo or an insignificant role in one of Magneto's master plans. Is it just me or do these characters need to be developed a little more?

Latest posts

Back