Multiversity is finally coming in August

E

Excelsior Club
It's been so long that I completely forgot about this and only vaguely remember hearing about it...

EXCLUSIVE: MORRISON, DC UNLEASH "THE MULTIVERSITY" IN AUGUST

Today, CBR has the exclusive first word that the limited series will debut in August 2014. Each issue will be 40 pages in length, featuring art by Chris Sprouse and Karl Story, Ben Oliver, Frank Quitely, Cameron Stewart and more. Here, along with a first look at a two-page spread from "The Multiversity" #1, illustrated by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado with color by Nei Ruffino, Morrison himself provides a look at what readers can expect from the title as its storyline plays out from the second half of 2014 on into 2015.

"'The Multiversity' has been a labor of love almost eight years in the making, and brings together an unstoppable supergroup of artists -- Reis, Sprouse, Oliver, Quitely, Stewart and more -- with a cast of unforgettable characters from the 52 alternative Earths of the known DC Multiverse!
"Prepare to meet the Vampire Justice League of Earth-43, the Justice Riders of Earth-18, Superdemon, Doc Fate, the super-sons of Superman and Batman, the rampaging Retaliators of Earth-8, the Atomic Knights of Justice, Dino-Cop, Sister Miracle, Lady Quark, the legion of Sivanas, the Nazi New Reichsmen of Earth-10 and the LATEST, greatest superhero of Earth-Prime -- YOU!

Comprising seven complete adventures -- each set in a different parallel universe -- a two part framing story, and comprehensive guidebook to the many worlds of the Multiverse, 'The Multiversity' is more than just a multi-part comic book series, it's a cosmos-spanning, soul-shaking experience that puts YOU on the front line in the Battle For All Creation against the demonic destroyers known as the Gentry!

But beware! Power has a cost, and at the heart of this epic tale waits the cursed and malignant comic book called 'Ultra Comics'...

How safe is YOUR head?

Join us, if you dare, for 'The Multiversity!'" -- Grant Morrison

tumblr_nan6e3slhC1qzla78o1_500.jpg

The best.

If a story hasn't been written does the reality still exist?

Jesus Christ, DC and their whole multiverse thing is hella confusing... so confusing it prompted me to use the term "hella", which I'm going to forever hate myself for.

I don't see how any fan, even the most dedicated of fans who manages to read ALL of DC's releases, could keep track of 52 different universes and the various characters populating them. It's the definition of overkill.

Jesus Christ, DC and their whole multiverse thing is hella confusing... so confusing it prompted me to use the term "hella", which I'm going to forever hate myself for.

I don't see how any fan, even the most dedicated of fans who manages to read ALL of DC's releases, could keep track of 52 different universes and the various characters populating them. It's the definition of overkill.

How many would you say Marvel has? Not just currently, I'm talking all-time (i.e. Squadron Supreme).

I honestly have no idea. But Marvel doesn't regularly include those alternate realities, as far as I know. Occasionally, sure, but DC seems to do it far more often.

The only universe dc regularly crosses with is the earth two universe. Most of the 52 others are rarely touched upon and most are undefined. You're not supposed to be intricately familiar with these versions of these characters.

This is the best dc book I've read probably 3 years.

And I believe Calvin wouldn't remember final crisis because it's an out of continuity event now. My understanding that only Batman's death from it remained in continuity, so Calvin that story isn't the same we're seeing here, just an analogue.

The only universe dc regularly crosses with is the earth two universe. Most of the 52 others are rarely touched upon and most are undefined. You're not supposed to be intricately familiar with these versions of these characters.

But then what's the point? Why create 52 different versions of your comic universe if you're really only going to focus on the main one, have one ongoing focus on another, and occasionally touch on and define the others? It just seems kind of pointless, unruly, and too big for it's own (and more importantly the readers') own good. And keeping track of continuity is hard enough even in one universe, let alone dozens and dozens.

I mean, the whole point if the reboot was to simplify and modernize DC's convoluted, multi-dimension spanning post-Crisis history... and they seem to have done just the opposite. They've undoubtedly overcomplicated the continuity just in the main universe (for instance the whole Batman timeline weirdness), and are only compounding that with 51 separate realities. It's just overkill.

Not to take anything away from this title, as I'm sure it'll be great, as Morrison rarely disappoints, but it's just too damn much for me to keep track of. It's why I've been reluctant to give the New 52 a try after reading a few dozen titles when it launched a few years back.

I read comics for good stories, first and foremost, and I know DC is putting out some good books. But I also like to have a good grasp on the events going on in that fictional universe as a whole, and that's impossible to do with DC from a completionist standpoint (and I'm sure Marvel as well), in regards to the number of books they put out. It's 50+ per month (not sure if they're still holding to that strict 52 per month rule), meaning over 600 each year.

I don't know. I'm just not a fan of DC's obviously not well-planned rollout of the New 52, and the essentially unmanageable monster of continuity they've created as a result.

But then what's the point? Why create 52 different versions of your comic universe if you're really only going to focus on the main one, have one ongoing focus on another, and occasionally touch on and define the others? It just seems kind of pointless, unruly, and too big for it's own (and more importantly the readers') own good. And keeping track of continuity is hard enough even in one universe, let alone dozens and dozens.

I mean, the whole point if the reboot was to simplify and modernize DC's convoluted, multi-dimension spanning post-Crisis history... and they seem to have done just the opposite. They've undoubtedly overcomplicated the continuity just in the main universe (for instance the whole Batman timeline weirdness), and are only compounding that with 51 separate realities. It's just overkill.

Not to take anything away from this title, as I'm sure it'll be great, as Morrison rarely disappoints, but it's just too damn much for me to keep track of. It's why I've been reluctant to give the New 52 a try after reading a few dozen titles when it launched a few years back.

I read comics for good stories, first and foremost, and I know DC is putting out some good books. But I also like to have a good grasp on the events going on in that fictional universe as a whole, and that's impossible to do with DC from a completionist standpoint (and I'm sure Marvel as well), in regards to the number of books they put out. It's 50+ per month (not sure if they're still holding to that strict 52 per month rule), meaning over 600 each year.

I don't know. I'm just not a fan of DC's obviously not well-planned rollout of the New 52, and the essentially unmanageable monster of continuity they've created as a result.

I honestly think this is a non-issue that you're blowing up DiB. Marvel still has an infinite level multiverse that you clearly don't feel obligated to acquire every story for. Does the fact that Guardians crossed over into the Canserverse make marvel as a whole less accessible? Does the upcoming Spider-Verse event make Marvel less accessible ? How about the multitude of different versions of the Squadron Supreme in the last decade, from the JMS Supreme series, to the opne that had been met more then once, to the current Hyperion in the Avengers books? All different versions. And thats without going into the Ultimate Universe, the Zombieverse, the Noirverse, the Deadpool Kills verses, each a separate reality that Marvel has created and crossed over into the current Marvel Universe.

If anything the only real difference is that DC has put a cap onto its multiverse while Marvel still has limitless room for growth. I fail to see how DC having 52 universes makes it any less accessible then anything else, espcially when they've haven't explored many of them at this point and it'd be fairly easy to ignore the whole concept. One a regular basis about 3 books take place in the non-standard universe. Multiversity itself, while being branded as an event, is more in structure like Morrison's Seven Soldier's series as its self contained and each installment of it outside of the bookends are supposed to be able to somewhat stand on their own.

I understand that it can feel overwhelming, but its no more then anything else on the incredible learning curve that is EITHER of the big two's superhero comics. Its just easier to throw your hands up at DC because they change it every few decades.

So a little more on topic, who else thinks that those lice at the beginning are going to end up being significant?

I honestly think this is a non-issue that you're blowing up DiB. Marvel still has an infinite level multiverse that you clearly don't feel obligated to acquire every story for. Does the fact that Guardians crossed over into the Canserverse make marvel as a whole less accessible? Does the upcoming Spider-Verse event make Marvel less accessible ? How about the multitude of different versions of the Squadron Supreme in the last decade, from the JMS Supreme series, to the opne that had been met more then once, to the current Hyperion in the Avengers books? All different versions. And thats without going into the Ultimate Universe, the Zombieverse, the Noirverse, the Deadpool Kills verses, each a separate reality that Marvel has created and crossed over into the current Marvel Universe. If anything the only real difference is that DC has put a cap onto its multiverse while Marvel still has limitless room for growth. I fail to see how DC having 52 universes makes it any less accessible then anything else, espcially when they've haven't explored many of them at this point and it'd be fairly easy to ignore the whole concept. One a regular basis about 3 books take place in the non-standard universe. Multiversity itself, while being branded as an event, is more in structure like Morrison's Seven Soldier's series as its self contained and each installment of it outside of the bookends are supposed to be able to somewhat stand on their own. I understand that it can feel overwhelming, but its no more then anything else on the incredible learning curve that is EITHER of the big two's superhero comics. Its just easier to throw your hands up at DC because they change it every few decades. So a little more on topic, who else thinks that those lice at the beginning are going to end up being significant?

That's a fair point, and I have to agree. It's why I prefer Valiant. One universe. Keeps things simple. ;)

#plug

That's a fair point, and I have to agree. It's why I prefer Valiant. One universe. Keeps things simple. ;)

#plug

Valiant has two universes. The one from the 90s and the current one.

Multiversity is supposed to focus on the other universes making them more defined.

Friday is right on.

I would almost guarantee that Marvel has many, many more alternate universes, but DC's seeming need to keep theirs organized on some level makes it seem like there's more to follow. Marvel is way looser with theirs. I guess it goes back to WHY DC needed to organize them, whereas Marvel never had that problem, but their insistence on keeping that organization makes things way more complicated than they need to be.

Latest posts

Back