My perspective (Not that anyone asked)

saintpetesam

Y'all have given me such a warm welcome that I feel right at home. And since I love to hear myself talk (or read my own words in print, as the case may be), I'll put my feet up on the virtual coffee table and start spilling my guts about whatever comes to mind. You'll be sorry, mark my words!

:p

I grew up reading mostly DC comics. As a kid, my favorite heroes were Superman and Flash and my favorite book was Justice League of America. Of course I would occasionally get an issue or two of Amazing Spider-Man, but I never really took to the Marvel universe.

I stopped reading comics in college, because money was too tight. By the time I got out of grad school and had a stable job, The Marvel universe was so convoluted that I despaired of ever feeling comfortable with it. On the opposite extreme, DC had taken to rebooting its universe seemingly every other month. As a result, I didn't get back into reading comics at all.

An unspecified number of years passed. And then...

X-Men hit the theaters. OK, it wasn't the greatest movie I'd ever seen (Godfather II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Casablanca are my top 3), but it awoke in me that sense of wonder and awe that I'd gotten reading comics as a child. Shortly thereafter, I wandered into my local comic book store hoping for another dose. The clerk steered me to a number of indy comics that I might like (I didn't, with the exception of Astro City, because it turns out that I'm a philistine). AND he handed a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #1.

The idea of getting in at the very birth of a continuity was attractive, and the story blew me away. I was hooked. Over time, I dropped all the indy titles except Astro City and picked up the rest of the Ultimate books as they appeared. I even read (and loved) Ultimate Adventures.

Say, Sam, that's an interesting story and all, but WHAT'S YOUR STINKING POINT?

Oh. I was supposed to have a point? Hmm. OK. How 'bout this:

I've enjoyed all of the Ultimate storylines (yes, even THAT one, although I have to admit that the Doctor Magnetoctopuss twist left me scratching my head). I think that it has a lot to do with my having no clue what various characters were/are like in 616. (Also, see above re: I'm a philistine.) I can take the characters as they are presented, with no idea whether Bendis et. al. are trampling on beloved memories because I don't have those memories. Half the time I don't even know that someone is significant because I don't recognize the name.

Now if DC does its own version of an Ultimate line and turns Lois Lane into a gossip columnist divorced from Pete Ross, trying to raise her adopted autistic child named Jimmy Olsen, I'll probably throw a fit.

It seems like everyone here gets to have a thread about themselves except me. Even the guys who just joined.

Welcome, though. Interesting story.

Y'all have given me such a warm welcome that I feel right at home. And since I love to hear myself talk (or read my own words in print, as the case may be), I'll put my feet up on the virtual coffee table and start spilling my guts about whatever comes to mind. You'll be sorry, mark my words!

:p

I grew up reading mostly DC comics. As a kid, my favorite heroes were Superman and Flash and my favorite book was Justice League of America. Of course I would occasionally get an issue or two of Amazing Spider-Man, but I never really took to the Marvel universe.

I stopped reading comics in college, because money was too tight. By the time I got out of grad school and had a stable job, The Marvel universe was so convoluted that I despaired of ever feeling comfortable with it. On the opposite extreme, DC had taken to rebooting its universe seemingly every other month. As a result, I didn't get back into reading comics at all.

An unspecified number of years passed. And then...

X-Men hit the theaters. OK, it wasn't the greatest movie I'd ever seen (Godfather II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Casablanca are my top 3), but it awoke in me that sense of wonder and awe that I'd gotten reading comics as a child. Shortly thereafter, I wandered into my local comic book store hoping for another dose. The clerk steered me to a number of indy comics that I might like (I didn't, with the exception of Astro City, because it turns out that I'm a philistine). AND he handed a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man #1.

The idea of getting in at the very birth of a continuity was attractive, and the story blew me away. I was hooked. Over time, I dropped all the indy titles except Astro City and picked up the rest of the Ultimate books as they appeared. I even read (and loved) Ultimate Adventures.

Say, Sam, that's an interesting story and all, but WHAT'S YOUR STINKING POINT?

Oh. I was supposed to have a point? Hmm. OK. How 'bout this:

I've enjoyed all of the Ultimate storylines (yes, even THAT one, although I have to admit that the Doctor Magnetoctopuss twist left me scratching my head). I think that it has a lot to do with my having no clue what various characters were/are like in 616. (Also, see above re: I'm a philistine.) I can take the characters as they are presented, with no idea whether Bendis et. al. are trampling on beloved memories because I don't have those memories. Half the time I don't even know that someone is significant because I don't recognize the name.

Now if DC does its own version of an Ultimate line and turns Lois Lane into a gossip columnist divorced from Pete Ross, trying to raise her adopted autistic child named Jimmy Olsen, I'll probably throw a fit.

No problem.

Good points.

That is pretty much how a lot of us started out. I too fell outta comics for like 10-15 years and got interested in them again after seeing Spiderman 2. I was in the bookstore and saw the Vol.1 HC for USM and started reading that.

From there I was hooked. From there I purchased all the UU comics. I have since expanded to 616. Then to DC from there. And onto indies from that.

All my comic knowledge comes from going back these past 2-3 years and reading key stories/series/miniseries that people recommend to me.

That is pretty much how a lot of us started out. I too fell outta comics for like 10-15 years and got interested in them again after seeing Spiderman 2. I was in the bookstore and saw the Vol.1 HC for USM and started reading that.

From there I was hooked. From there I purchased all the UU comics. I have since expanded to 616. Then to DC from there. And onto indies from that.

All my comic knowledge comes from going back these past 2-3 years and reading key stories/series/miniseries that people recommend to me.

Same here, I was starting to get interested in superheroes again and I heard wolverine's origin story was out, so I went to barnes and nobles to get it and I thought I might as well get something else. I was thinking of the ASM tpb Revelations cause it had that one 9/11 issue, I read that once and thought it was very good. But I saw the USM venom tpb and decided to go with that since I haven't read anything ultimate and always enjoyed Venom as a villain. I loved that arc, was hooked ever since.

It seems like everyone here gets to have a thread about themselves except me. Even the guys who just joined.

Welcome, though. Interesting story.

My samurai thread would kill everyone. No one would come because they would all be dead. that and it would be that awesome that you would die from just seeing the simplest word.

My samurai thread would kill everyone. No one would come because they would all be dead. that and it would be that awesome that you would die from just seeing the simplest word.
And then you'd realise that it wasn't your thread at all.

NANOMONKEYS!

And I have read the prologue of your story you have in your signature below.

I love the scene it gives, the pity that the Senator feels, and the compassion their Enemy has for them.

Gave a good impression, you could visualize the scene as it happened. Well done.

You should read this thread, cause I'm it's pimp

Thank you very much! I will read start reading Blairwood, VT when I get home from work tonight.

Hm. Well, I was going to gripe about still being the only person here who likes UIM (or at least being the only person who didn't have anywhere near as many issues with it as anyone else), but I suppose I can just consider that to be one of the features that makes me unique here.

On the other hand, Saintpetesam does like Ultimate Adventures. (So I'm not alone on that one!) And he writes intelligent posts. And another (major) plus -- he's a writer.

Okay. I say we keep him. :D

Latest posts

Back