Nacho Libre

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Jack Black in tights, with a fake mexican accent, doing mock luchadore-style wrestling.........that should be comedic gold.

Well it ****ing SUCKED!!!!! HARD!!!!!!

I'm dead serious. I laughed only twice during this movie....and both times had nothing to do with Jack Black.....and were just merely chuckles. Remember Dumb and Dumber during the scene where Jim Carrey sprays binaca in the eyes of the guy next to him? Imagine how hard you laughed when you saw that part. Not much huh? That's how funny these 2 parts were.

This was just sadly unfunny. The entire time I watched this....I was just sitting there wishing he'd do School of Rock 2. Even the previews sucked. God---how many crappy, low budget, 5th rate CGI talking animal movies can you do????? At least make them on the level of Jimmy Neutron.

Oh Jack....where did it all go wrong?

1/5......................seriously. :neutral:

Well, I saw it last night and I left with mixed feelings. I did laugh a good bit in the movie, but I also walked out feeling empty. It was funny, but something just made the entire movie seem hollow, like it was just a bunch of disconnected jokes with no point.

I'll give it a 2.5. It was funny, but the movie felt off.

Victor Von Doom said:
Jack Black in tights, with a fake mexican accent, doing mock luchadore-style wrestling.........that should be comedic gold.

Well it ****ing SUCKED!!!!! HARD!!!!!!

I'm dead serious. I laughed only twice during this movie....and both times had nothing to do with Jack Black.....and were just merely chuckles. Remember Dumb and Dumber during the scene where Jim Carrey sprays binaca in the eyes of the guy next to him? Imagine how hard you laughed when you saw that part. Not much huh? That's how funny these 2 parts were.

This was just sadly unfunny. The entire time I watched this....I was just sitting there wishing he'd do School of Rock 2. Even the previews sucked. God---how many crappy, low budget, 5th rate CGI talking animal movies can you do????? At least make them on the level of Jimmy Neutron.

Oh Jack....where did it all go wrong?

1/5......................seriously. :neutral:
...why did you do that to yourself Vic? I think you need to spend some time and learn to love yourself again. Maybe then you'll go see good movies, or if nothings out, rent Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I saw this last night and thought it was funny in the way all Jack Black movies are funny. It's just funny to watch a guy with no shame.

Baxter said:
...why did you do that to yourself Vic? I think you need to spend some time and learn to love yourself again. Maybe then you'll go see good movies, or if nothings out, rent Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I had high hopes man. It was made by the same people who did Napoleon Dynamite (which I thought was hilarious). Plus this is Jack Black man!!!! I mean High Fidelity?!?!? Saving Silverman?!?! Shallow Hal?!?!?!? Orange County?!?!? If nothing else---he at least gets credit for Tenacious D and School of Rock. He was born for those 2 projects.

The sun and moon were aligned....all that jazz. I had high hopes man....high hopes. :cry:

I mean its not like I went to go see Fast and Furious 3. :sick:

MaxwellSmart said:
I saw this last night and thought it was funny in the way all Jack Black movies are funny. It's just funny to watch a guy with no shame.

See above.....

Victor Von Doom said:
I had high hopes man. It was made by the same people who did Napoleon Dynamite (which I thought was hilarious). Plus this is Jack Black man!!!! I mean High Fidelity?!?!? Saving Silverman?!?! Shallow Hal?!?!?!? Orange County?!?!? If nothing else---he at least gets credit for Tenacious D and School of Rock. He was born for those 2 projects.

The sun and moon were aligned....all that jazz. I had high hopes man....high hopes. :cry:
See now Jack Black was only funny in High Fedelity, Saving Silverman, and Orange County because they knew exactly how to use him. He's not a leading man, but one of the best supporting characters in the buisness.

And yeah, Tenacious D kicks major ***.

Napoleon Dynamite... I'm one of the 2% who neither loved, nor hated the film .It was just ok.

Napoleon was one of the worst movies in the history ot ever. Jack Black isn't that funny. I have no interest in this movie.

Victor Von Doom said:
I had high hopes man. It was made by the same people who did Napoleon Dynamite (which I thought was hilarious).
Well, it was just directed by the same guy. The movie was written by the guy who wrote School of Rock. Unless he also wrote ND...

Baxter said:
See now Jack Black was only funny in High Fedelity, Saving Silverman, and Orange County because they knew exactly how to use him. He's not a leading man, but one of the best supporting characters in the buisness.

Are you kidding? Jack's a great leading man! He just needs a great script behind him. Shallow Hal and School of Rock both speak for themselves. I even thought we was great in King Kong, too.

Orange County, on the other hand, is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Jack's parts were the only thing that made it bearable.

I just thought it was a bad idea because to me, Nacho Libre is what you do about eight hours after a visit to Taco Bell...

Lighten up, the movie was funny to me. Maybe it's just b/c I'm hispanic and get most of the humor. It's just small things.

So I'm guessing this movie doesn't come recommended? I was really looking forward to it... Jack Black is hilarious in my opinion and it seemed like an interesting enough idea... What's up?

Hibiki said:
Lighten up, the movie was funny to me. Maybe it's just b/c I'm hispanic and get most of the humor. It's just small things.
I think that's the problem: that they overdid a lot of the Mexican-centric stuff and so it doesn't appeal to those of us who don't know the culture intimately. Not that there's anything wrong with movies that appeal to certain ethnicities or subcultures, but you really don't want to do that with what you're hoping will be a mainstream success.

LOL, anyone hear the guy on Leno last night say that Cars is a more accurate movie about automobiles than Tokyo Drift? Looks like they missed the regular people AND the automotive crowd there. Ouch.

jtg3885 said:
LOL, anyone hear the guy on Leno last night say that Cars is a more accurate movie about automobiles than Tokyo Drift? Looks like they missed the regular people AND the automotive crowd there. Ouch.
I can't believe they made a sequel to a movie without any the original cast.

My favorite comment about it, though, was from Jack Black. He said, "come on, Tokyo Drift? That sounds like something you catch from an asian prostitute."

Last edited:
Hibiki said:
Maybe it's just b/c I'm hispanic and get most of the humor.

See that's just it---I know quite a bit about hispanic culture as well (my aunt is Mexican and I've dated LOTS of hispanic girls......I myself have mistaken for Puerto Rican-----and I've never felt dirtier :lol: ).

But I don't think the movie focuses on hispanic culture so much that it alienates the audience. That's not the case at all. It's just that a lot of jokes fell flat.

This movie looked like it would suck anyway.

Tenacious D for life.

I just came back from seeing it. I actually liked it. I laughed a lot throught the movie. Jack Black was great.

I give it a 3 out of 5.

Latest posts

Back