Avengers New Avengers: Civil War discussion (#21-26; spoilers)

I agree...this was probably the best NA issue yet. 5/5

Bendis was born to write Daredevil, and he was born to write Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. How tragic what they have to go through right now. And reading it I think you pick up on that very easily - the point is well made.

What a dramatic improvement over the Captain America issue.

Wow, I need to pick this up. I was gonna drop it b/c of 21 but since you guys inadvertently convinced me, I'll stay with it. :D

Ice said:
Has this been said before? About that post Civil War Leinil Francis Yu is the new regular artist on New Avengers?

I liked Yu on SILENT DRAGON, and I liked the way Cage and Stark looked - but I really didn't care for Jessica. In this panel it looks like she's been hit and has stitches around her eye:

jess.jpg

That's honestly what I thought when I saw it. Really strange "crosshatch" shadowing. It's the same way around her jaw by her ear.

Rhyo said:
I liked Yu on SILENT DRAGON, and I liked the way Cage and Stark looked - but I really didn't care for Jessica. In this panel it looks like she's been hit and has stitches around her eye:

jess.jpg

That's honestly what I thought when I saw it. Really strange "crosshatch" shadowing. It's the same way around her jaw by her ear.

I really like Yu's work but yeah, sometimes he's just...off.

And with Yu on NA, I wonder what that's saying about the schedule for Ult. Wolverine vs. Hulk.

E said:
And with Yu on NA, I wonder what that's saying about the schedule for Ult. Wolverine vs. Hulk.
Yeah, we'll have to see. It was said that Lindelof was writing all the scripts now.

Still, I think he'll do great on this series.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Made me cry.

Stark and Warbird are visiting Cage telling him that if they don't register by 8:00 tonight, they will be outlaws.

When they leave, Jessica tries to tell Luke to run away. Luke talks about how he cleaned his neighborhood up and this is where he'll stay.

Jessica is going to take the baby out of harm's way. Luke makes her promise that whereever she is, she won't turn the tv on. They kiss, she gets in a cab, and they're off.

Luke walks back into his home. A bunch of neighbors and kids ask if Luke's gonna register. he says he's gonna go sit in his home and watch tv because that's what he's allowed to do in this country.

At exactly 12:00 midnight SHIELD is at Luke's door insisting he opens up. At first he says he's busy and they should come back. They show the outside where SHIELD tanks and snipers are set up in the neighborhood. They're persistent and Luke takes te sofa and throws it through the door at them.

Then there's the fight Luke Cage Vs. SHIELD. When things aren't looking to good for him. His neighbors start harassing SHIELD. One guy pulls out a shotgun. Then the billy club and the shield. Cap, Falcon, and Daredevil jump in and Daredevil asks if Luke's all right (Iron Fist). They help Luke escape via stealing one of SHIELDs tanks (embarassing moment for SHIELD) Maria Hill comes in via hologram and Luke Cage tells her "The Revolution is coming". He tells Iron Fist er... DD that he sent Jessica and the baby to Toronto.

Niagra

Jessica makes a pit stop to buy some supplies and accidently sees a newsbroadcast about the scene in Harlem. She holds the baby as they announce Luke vs. SHIELD and begins to cry. She's then relieved when she learns he's escaped with the others.

5/5

Bendis knows how to ****ing write Luke Cage. And I couldn't even put to words how phenomenal the scenes between Luke and the child were. Brilliant.

I was also worried about Luke's reaction to the registration because of what he said to Matt during the "Out" Saga of Daredevil. But there's a clear difference between hiding behind a mask, which he's against, and the situation of registration which he's also against. Something I wasn't sure about until I read this. Good work Bendis.

This sums it up perfectly. :rockon:

Bendis NEEDS to write a Luke Cage ongoing or at least a maxi.

Victor Von Doom said:
Bendis NEEDS to write a Luke Cage ongoing or at least a maxi.
I never gave Cage much credit until Bendis got his hands on him. Now I never want him to let go.

That cover looks pretty mint...... but it would be even better if Ronin was actually a guy....... come on "she" looks way to buff for a Lady

I know it's labelled #26, but the cover with Elektra, the ninjas and Ronin (gah, three of my LEAST favorite things in one place) is actually #27. Bendis said that #26 is a "secret" Civil War tie-in (ie they haven't released the artist or subject yet) and that Yu starts on the first post-Civil War story, #27.

Rhyo said:
I know it's labelled #26, but the cover with Elektra, the ninjas and Ronin (gah, three of my LEAST favorite things in one place) is actually #27. Bendis said that #26 is a "secret" Civil War tie-in (ie they haven't released the artist or subject yet) and that Yu starts on the first post-Civil War story, #27.
Thanks Rhyo. You're the best.

wow i just picked up new avengers #22. is this the same book that just a few months ago was centered around xorn? after reading this bk i didn't want to let go of it. this is definetly the new avengers that i pay for each month. please let it stay this exciting!

Last edited:
the-m-11 said:
wow i just picked up new avengers #22. is this the same book that just a few months ago was centered around xorn? after reading this bk i didn't want to let go of it. this is definetly the new avengers that i pay for each month. please let it stay this exciting!

Welcome to the UC! :D

Yes, this was a huge improvement over the last several issues.

Personally I loved issue #23. That's most likely because I love Spider-Woman.
And unless you've been living in your basement you'll know about the issue completely devoted to Spider-Woman.
I know she's had her ups and downs in comics but give this issue a chance.

Great dialouge, action, and she finally takes a side.

I won't give it a full review but I will give it a...

4/5

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back