New Captain Marvel series (July 2012)

I dislike her hair fohawk thing. I just have an hatred for those and the Miracleman costume.

Also Fraction's Iron Man is terrific.

..... Screw you people.... I like my haircut. -.-

The more I look at it, I'm kinda baffled why they put Captain Marvel into Marvelman's costume. I'm thinking her outfit should have been a but more "Kree".

:roll: People always complain about how women are portrayed in comics, and then as soon as a female character is portrayed differently, they're up in arms.

Zombipanda said:
:roll: People always complain about how women are portrayed in comics, and then as soon as a female character is portrayed differently, they're up in arms.

Just a hair cut...

I think it's fine. It looks similar to her classic costume, except they reversed the colours, and made it a lot more practical (its not a bathing suit)
Ms._Marvel_Vol_1_18.jpg

I'm thinking her outfit should have been a but more "Kree".

It's pretty similar to the classic Captain Marvel stuff
captainmarveli.gif

or were you hoping for something closer to the original?

217178-2401-115896-1-captain-marvel_super.jpg

Oh, like how everyone's *****ing about the "Heroines in Pants" trend at DC. It amazes me how people scream "objectivization!" until it's fixed, then scream about changing something "Iconic".

Ice said:
Just a hair cut...

And a pretty practical one too. Takes only a few seconds to do, and as a woman who's owned a motorcycle, I can't imagine what flying would do to long hair. And thinking about it more, I kinda wish it were closer to how mine is (an under cut), instead of it being all the same length and just slicked back and up.

Captain Canuck said:
or were you hoping for something closer to the original?

Yeah, mostly because like the Ultimate Captain Marvel outfit (as used on EMH) has grown on me, but it's just personal preference.

Last edited:
it's not really a fohawk, I read them saying somewhere that it's just pinned up

the idea there was to make it look more like the kree helmet's fin

it was in that interview with sanders about the design

I think Marvel should buy the rights to Tank Girl and make her the new Captain Marvel.

But really, I'm pretty fond of the new look. I mean, this is classic Miss Marvel:

406px-MsMarvel(Danvers)_Head.jpg

That's what we're remembering fondly? "Generic Ass and Titties Costume #9"?

This new costume makes a lot of sense for the character. I'm not sure anyone's pointed it out, but the hair seems to just be pinned back rather than cut into a hawk. It's practical and has a somewhat military look with it. Same with the costume, which evokes the look of a character bearing the name "Captain", recalls her background in the armed forces, and also draws on the classic Marvelman look. It's really the only costume I can find for the character that genuinely seems to suit her personality.

Last edited:
Oh, like how everyone's *****ing about the "Heroines in Pants" trend at DC.

I like it. Not due to some notion of objectification but more because it just makes sense. I never understood how half these female heroes would mange these big battles without some type of "wardrobe malfunction".

Although skimpy female costumes does make for more interesting cosplay at cons. So there is that.

Last edited:
I like it. Not due to some notion of objectification but more because it just makes sense. I never understood how half these female heroes would mange these big battles without some type of "wardrobe malfunction".

Although skimpy female costumes does make for more interesting cosplay at cons. So there is that.

*hides the Scarlet Witch costume she's working on*

What?

SHUT UP!

I like it. For the first time, she doesn't look just like every other cheesecake superheroine.

Yes, exactly! Plus, with Carol's military background, this hairstyle fits.

I like the costume too!

Oh, like how everyone's *****ing about the "Heroines in Pants" trend at DC. It amazes me how people scream "objectivization!" until it's fixed, then scream about changing something "Iconic".

Like the whole Wonder Woman thing? I actually liked her costume that had pants, i thought it looked nice. IMO anyway.

Last edited:
I thought the old costume was ok, but I also like this because they are (seemingly) trying to do something they haven't done before (at least not very successfully), just like Zombi said. Hopefully they can do something that's as smart as what JHW is doing on Batwoman.

I thought the old costume was ok, but I also like this because they are (seemingly) trying to do something they haven't done before (at least not very successfully), just like Zombi said. Hopefully they can do something that's as smart as what JHW is doing on Batwoman.

No offense intended but I think saying "I hope Female X is as good as Female Y" is a dangerous comparison to make, regardless of how good (and it really is exceptional) Batwoman may be. I think it's more apt to say I hope Captain Marvel is as good as Miracleman, since they're clearly playing that fiddle pretty hard.

Honestly, the direction seems to lend itself more towards a superhero as military officer direction, and that's both something that hasn't been done exceptional well and needs to be done well. What does it mean to be a superhuman who has nationalist interests at heart in a setting where her planet is just coming on the radar of advanced alien civilizations? Not that that's necessarily the direction they're taking, but I think it's an interesting direction they could take.

Also, I'm drunk. God bless spell check. And hope for the implementation of logic check.

Whatever the series turn out to be, it can't be worse than big-chested generic lady fighting generic super villain threats, right.....?

Last edited:
No offense intended but I think saying "I hope Female X is as good as Female Y" is a dangerous comparison to make, regardless of how good (and it really is exceptional) Batwoman may be. I think it's more apt to say I hope Captain Marvel is as good as Miracleman, since they're clearly playing that fiddle pretty hard.

What I meant is that I hope they are able to use and write her - her being a female superhero - in a way that does not marginalize her or sensationalize her as a female character. The current Batwoman is probably the first book I've read that doesn't seem to fall into the trappings of having the lead be female - even Batgirl right now sees her falling into gender stereotypes - so I think it's a fair comparison but the Miracleman one is perfectly fine, too, in terms of plot or whatever. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging she is female and I don't think she should be written like a male character, but stay away from those stereotypes - that's all I meant.

Yeah, mostly because like the Ultimate Captain Marvel outfit (as used on EMH) has grown on me, but it's just personal preference.
Fair enough. Is EMH the Avengers cartoon (Earth's Mightiest Heroes)?

But really, I'm pretty fond of the new look. I mean, this is classic Miss Marvel:

406px-MsMarvel(Danvers)_Head.jpg

That's what we're remembering fondly? "Generic Ass and Titties Costume #9"?

That's not her "classic costume" that's her Warbird costume which I think she adopted in 1998 or so. So she's had that costume for almost 15 years, but - at least in my mind - her classic costume is her original one which was very similar to Captain Marvel's

I thought she looked bad ass in a domino mask. Also, I was thinking this was a way to reinvent Binary. If her and Rogue were to meet up in Avengers x X-men, it would only seem fitting.

Sidebar, if only these artists would take a cue from female mma fighters, one can still look sexy and be practical in battle.

Ronda Rousey for example.
StrikeforceRondaRousey2.jpg

[video=youtube;nl1yrrUOWnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1yrrUOWnw[/video]

Latest posts

Back