New Hitch interview

Hmmm......

HR: Let's tease about the end of The Ultimates. Can you tease about what we can expect?

BH: You know how we began and the scale on which we've been doing this one, bigger. It's called "Grand Theft America" this last six issues for good reason. Issue nine features some of the largest scenes of mass destruction I've ever drawn on a very close and intimate level. It begins with a revelation, which will be impressive. It has another revelation. It has a body count. It has consequences. People will be changed forever in The Ultimates as a result of that issue. It has huge destruction. It doesn't have single nice thing happening to one of the good guys all the way through it.

Following that, we have the three issues where it all comes together. Everything we've been building on. Even in the first volume there's elements of that come into play. Everything we've done from the trial of Bruce Banner to Thor's insanity, everything finishes. You get the revelations you might have been wanting or not. It might not be the answers your looking for but all the answers are there.

I think he's perhaps referring to Thor's godhood when he comments on things we may not want answered. I for one would prefer that to remain ambiguous.
But it's the story that counts and some resolution to the storyline may be required.

SeAcoW said:
Finally no more chat! ACTION !
You don't like that the Ultimates relies more on the characters involved than big action pieces? Coz I think there is enough of that in the rest of the world of superhero comics.

Guijllons said:
I think he's perhaps referring to Thor's godhood when he comments on things we may not want answered. I for one would prefer that to remain ambiguous.
But it's the story that counts and some resolution to the storyline may be required.

We're in the same boat on that one. I prefer the ambiguity and not knowing for sure whether he is or not, but you can only take something like that so far before people start to resent the not knowing. You need that resolution at some point, even if it does take some of the wind out of the sails of the title, even if it does lessen the title's "interesting factor". But with a title like Ultimates, something with so many levels and unanswered questions, all the other mysteries and plot-lines still can carry the title forward quite well. God I just want to read these last few issues and see where Millar is taking the team. Like everyone else, while I love the title to death, the constant delays make me wish the title would just end and give us some of those answers we've been waiting a year for.

I don't want the nonsense argument being trotted out of character versus action. The Ultimates does a perfect blend of the two. When Ultimates does a fight, it does it better than anyone else at the moment. It's quality not quantity. Having a fight every issue for action's sake is as stupid as having no fights for five issues straight for character's sake.

As for answering questions and the ending and what not - Loeb said that Hitllar are looting the Ultimates as they leave. So I would expect a lot fo tie-ups. Also, from Loeb's interview, I am even more convinced that the Ultimates will no longer be SHIELD sponsored.

Maybe because there will no longer be a SHIELD...

Last edited:
Bass said:
I don't want the nonsense argument being trotted out of character versus action. The Ultimates does a perfect blend of the two. When Ultimates does a fight, it does it better than anyone else at the moment. It's quality not quantity. Having a fight every issue for action's sake is as stupid as having no fights for five issues straight for character's sake.
If you don't want a nonsense argument why post that?

In a medium so obsessed with actual fighting why get excited about action scenes? It's like walking through a field of cows, turning to see a sheep, turning back and saying "yay, a cow!".

Bass. The above paragraph wasn't for you. Nor was the line I posted quoting seacow, you don't have to respond.

I also much prefer Thor's true background left in question. One of the few things I've heard Loeb say thus far about The Ultimates that has disappointed me was something along the lines of "It's great how everyone thinks Thor's crazy but we (the readers) all know he isn't."

If Millar does something drastic that really changes the status of S.H.I.E.L.D. and/or Fury, I wonder how that will be handled in the other titles. For example, they play an important role in USM as well, and Bendis has been hinting that the mega #100 issue is tied to them as well.

14rdb said:
I also much prefer Thor's true background left in question. One of the few things I've heard Loeb say thus far about The Ultimates that has disappointed me was something along the lines of "It's great how everyone thinks Thor's crazy but we (the readers) all know he isn't."

If Millar does something drastic that really changes the status of S.H.I.E.L.D. and/or Fury, I wonder how that will be handled in the other titles. For example, they play an important role in USM as well, and Bendis has been hinting that the mega #100 issue is tied to them as well.

I really don't think SHIELD will disband as a result of the U2 resolution, I just think the Ultimates will leave SHIELD and branch out on their own. Hence Loeb saying it'll be more along the lines of the 616 Avengers, without being too much like it. Thats my guess anyway (and many others).

Bass said:
I am even more convinced that the Ultimates will no longer be SHIELD sponsored.

Maybe because there will no longer be a SHIELD...

I agree that they'll probably be splitting off from SHIELD (especially if Cap. turns out innocent, cuz I bet he doesn't like being taken down by a superhuman task force) but I sincerely doubt that SHIELD would be shut down...

SHIELD and the Ultimates will still exist as one entity...

The Stark Funded Avengers will be a politically neutral defense team....

14rdb said:
For example, they play an important role in USM as well, and Bendis has been hinting that the mega #100 issue is tied to them as well.

Well, of course SHIELD's involved. Bendis needs them to show up and save the day for Spidey. Can't have the title hero doing all the hard work, now can we? We need him to focus on the whining.

Guijllons said:
If you don't want a nonsense argument why post that?

I wanted to stop one before it started because they annoy me.

LIKE YOUR FACE.

*pow*

:heart:

Bass said:
I wanted to stop one before it started because they annoy me.
It wouldn't have been one. The only constant in the Ultimates is the story. The character or action is neither here nor there until one is taken in favour of the other.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I agree that they'll probably be splitting off from SHIELD (especially if Cap. turns out innocent, cuz I bet he doesn't like being taken down by a superhuman task force) but I sincerely doubt that SHIELD would be shut down...

SHIELD and the Ultimates will still exist as one entity...

The Stark Funded Avengers will be a politically neutral defense team....

Exactly the way I see it unfolding.

DIrishB said:
I really don't think SHIELD will disband as a result of the U2 resolution, I just think the Ultimates will leave SHIELD and branch out on their own. Hence Loeb saying it'll be more along the lines of the 616 Avengers, without being too much like it. Thats my guess anyway (and many others).
I agree 100%, I was just responding to Bass' comment "Maybe because there will no longer be a SHIELD..."

So is it superman they're working on next? Any news on where Millar wants to take that? I probably won't get around to reading it as I've ever really got on with supes. I'm always too focussed on what he can do and what he stands for than actually noticing that he has a personality.

Guijllons said:
So is it superman they're working on next? Any news on where Millar wants to take that? I probably won't get around to reading it as I've ever really got on with supes. I'm always too focussed on what he can do and what he stands for than actually noticing that he has a personality.

Thats because Superman/Clark Kent has about as much personality as a table leg.

I am interested to see what Hitch and Millar will work on next together, but guess we'll have to wait awhile to find out about that project.

I haven't read a Superman issue since "The Death of Superman" way back when, but those two on the title would be enough to make me check out their run. Speaking of which, that reminds me I have to pick up All-Star Superman tomorrow at the comic shop after reading the impressive reviews it got from the members here.

Hitch and Millar always teased that Superman would be their dream project to do together, but it can't happen for a good while. Hitch just announced an extension to his exclusive Marvel contract that will see him there until at least 2009 (I think).

Latest posts

Back