New Punisher TV Show on Fox

First off, the good Doctor's right on the money. I doubt this show has a snowball's chance in hell of making it past the pilot, much less getting a full series.

Second, Bass is right on the money. It's probably a script for a vigilante series that was given the Punisher name as a means to get it produced. Don't forget, Marvel's really gearing up its TV efforts, and almost assuredly has been making offers to various established writers to make them pitches. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Bernerno got a call from Marvel, saw a dusty rejected pitch for a vigilante show sitting on his desk and thought it was worth a shot. Can't blame the guy for that.

Third, Overlord is right on the money. Kind of... We might not like to admit it, but of course the level of violence is important to the Punisher. I'll get to this more below, but... He's the Punisher! His story is predicated not just on the fact that he's violent, but the scope of his violence. I'll get to it more below, but the two major factors distinguishing the Punisher from other vigilante killers is the efficiency and size of his murders, his cold professionalism and his status as an unstoppable force of nature. I think the Dexter analogy is good. Dexter is the serial killer who's completely stripped of that role's vileness and twisted into a pure hero. It sounds like this pitch is doing the same thing. Admittedly, it's something that happens all the time with violent vigilantes, but I find it repugnant in general, and antithetical to character in this instance. Dexter:American Psycho::TV Punisher:Our Punisher.

Four, I think a police procedural is the perfect fit for a Punisher series. But this particular procedural sounds like the worst. More later.

Five, what's wrong with FX? It has a respectable catalog of shows that touch on adult subject matter without being juvenile. It's like HBO's kid brother, and if you can't get HBO, it seems like a decent enough alternative.

Six, Heroes for Hire. Yes please. And use the "Marvel New 52" pitch I'm going to post up elsewhere shortly.

Seven, I'm going to lay down a dense monster post but I should probably keep it separate from this. Tie down your ovaries, folks.

Last edited:
The police procedural sounds fine, but not for Castle. There were two detectives in one arc, and it slips my memory. But it starts out as the main detective, a black guy to jog anyone's memory, and he was extremely anti-punisher....until Frank saves him inadvertently and he finds himself asking his wife if maybe the Punisher isn't so bad after all to which his wife somewhat scoffs at him. That. That is where we find the balance for a tv series. We don't necessarily have him go the Smecker route ala Boondock Saints, but we defintely see a small change of heart as the series progresses all while still somewhat being an anti-Gordon to Castle's Batman.

The police procedural sounds fine, but not for Castle. There were two detectives in one arc, and it slips my memory. But it starts out as the main detective, a black guy to jog anyone's memory, and he was extremely anti-punisher....until Frank saves him inadvertently and he finds himself asking his wife if maybe the Punisher isn't so bad after all to which his wife somewhat scoffs at him. That. That is where we find the balance for a tv series. We don't necessarily have him go the Smecker route ala Boondock Saints, but we defintely see a small change of heart as the series progresses all while still somewhat being an anti-Gordon to Castle's Batman.

Hohoho...

Just you wait. You'll see.

I was thinking of a good Heroes for Hire pitch split a la Law and Order with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Spider-Woman, Moon Knight and Daredevil hunting down crooks with Matt Murdock and Jenny Walters prosecuting them in court. I had Moon Knight in that psycho vigilante role but though Punisher would have worked great as a special guest the Heroes have to decide to track down or not.

Also, wouldn't Alias work better for the type of Punisher story they're going for?

I don't think the problem with the punisher would be the ammount of violence but the TYPE of violence. I'm not sure how much torture you could have on a tv show, or how many extras you would have to go through for all the underlings he kills.

I don't think the problem with the punisher would be the ammount of violence but the TYPE of violence. I'm not sure how much torture you could have on a tv show, or how many extras you would have to go through for all the underlings he kills.

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back