New Questions Answered by Robert Kirkman

Its kind of a shame that the "filler" mentality has been applied to Ultimate X-Men until Singer supposedly comes on the title. By the fans its a given, but I wonder if the editorial offices in the Ultimate department aren't thinking the same way.

Personally, I think its a shame. It makes it nearly impossible for other, talented writers to tell the stories they should be telling, not stories that they're boxed into telling by other writers' continuity. And again, the main culprit are the editorial offices.

Rant over.

DIrishB said:
Its kind of a shame that the "filler" mentality has been applied to Ultimate X-Men until Singer supposedly comes on the title. By the fans its a given, but I wonder if the editorial offices in the Ultimate department aren't thinking the same way.

Personally, I think its a shame. It makes it nearly impossible for other, talented writers to tell the stories they should be telling, not stories that they're boxed into telling by other writers' continuity. And again, the main culprit are the editorial offices.

Rant over.

I totally agree. I'm trying to get out of that mindset when judging Kirkman's run so far. It's totally not fair, but I can't help but almost look down on it, even though I have really enjoyed it so far.

Yeah. And that's what the whole Date Night, Pheonix?, and Magical arcs are. 3 3 issued fillers.

Date Night- Nothing happened except Shi'ar introduced and there might be an Ultimate X-23.
Pheonix?- Jean's the Pheonix...like we didn't see that coming. Hellfire's back. Magician is lame.
Magical- Is needed to get rid of Magician because there's no way he could fit into Singer's arc he's been working on since before Vaughan's run.

I hope Cable isn't a filler and by this point and seeing the delays on Wolverine vs Hulk Marvel should ****can the whole Singer arc and give Kirkman freedom to do what he wants instead of keeping key characters out of the book, or alive, or anything else that Singer wants to use.

Robert Kirkman on Marvel Spotlight said:
When I got Ultimate X-Men, I actually sat down and read everything that had been put out. Reading it, there's little things that I'd pick up, and I'd say, "Oh, I'm gonna want to touch on that." Because, you know, Mark Millar, Bendis, Brian K. Vaughan, they are all gone. They're not writing the book anymore. Anything they set up is free game. I can use what they used as a road map, but if they were planning on that going a certain way, well, that's not going to happen anymore because they're not there. So I can go off on a tangent and do whatever I want with anything that they set up. (...) As I go forward, I'm going to try and shake things up a little more. Try and do things that that aren't things that have happened in some way in the Marvel Universe.
Doesn't sound like a filler to me, sounds like he's got pretty free hands with the title.

Yeah, it sounds like everyone is assuming too much. Has it actually been confirmed that marvel is preventing any writer from doing any story because of this hypothetical Singer run? It sounds like the only character Kirkman might be barred from using is Ult Apoc... And it doesnt sounds like Kirkman has any interest in him anyway.

It seems to me that Kirkman is doing what he always does... Telling fun, interesting, light hearted superhero tales.

As far as Im concerned, keep em coming.

vintsukka said:
Doesn't sound like a filler to me, sounds like he's got pretty free hands with the title.

I think that, whenever Singer gets his **** together, Kirkman will be pushed off the title in an instant. So, in a way his free hands are filling. :)

No I think they'll say "Finish your arc and get the hell out!"

Marvel is bending over backwards for these non-comic book writers.

Some do a good job, Joss on Asthonishing X-Men.

Some not so good.....Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk anyone? A year later and there's 2 issues.

And the whole Singer writing is a gimmick. He's been making his arc since before Vaughan and they announced it during Bendis's run!

And no one inculding Kirkman ever answers anything about Singer's arc(s).

Foolsfolly said:
No I think they'll say "Finish your arc and get the hell out!"
Riiiiiiight.... :sure:

Foolsfolly said:
Some not so good.....Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk anyone? A year later and there's 2 issues.
Again, not his fault. Marvel's.

Foolsfolly said:
And no one inculding Kirkman ever answers anything about Singer's arc(s).
Why would they? It's been changed so many times, I'm surprised Singer even remembers what he's plotting.

At least Marvel was wise enough to make sure that Singer would be fully available before they start him off. Imagine if UXM turns into a bi-monthly or a semi-annual (like what UWvH is now) because they wanted to become doormats and to be way too giving to their guest writers.

From what I can read, probably the only character that Singer really wants saved for him is Magneto. The rest is pretty much fair game and up to Kirkman wants to do with them. The only constraints with that is he has to respect the continuity and plotlines left by his predecessors, which Kirkman has no problem with.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that they would kick Kirkman off immediately... And, when Singer is ready to write the title, he'll probably allow Marvel some time for him to jump on board at a reasonable time. I realize there's business involved as well as storytelling. Marvel, I think, has a good handle on their market... Despite what delays they've had. Quesada just wants quality... Fans would agree that's a good thing. I mean, we'll still buy the issue even though it's later or finished by another creative team. :)

Yay me! Kirkman answered one of mine:

vintsukka said:
With the solicitation for UXM #76 now out, I'd like to know if Ultimate Bishop will be the same person that was mentioned in #43 (or the future version of him)?
Robert Kirkman said:
That bit of continuity will NOT be forgotten.
It makes me all warm inside knowing that Kirkman actually acknowledges these kind of little things.

Last edited:
Whoa the solit for UXM #76 is out? Why am I always out of the loop? lol

...So I gather 76 has something to do with Bishop?

I don't understand what all the hate is about. Kirkman is an excellent writer (definitely gained my respect from his work on Walking Dead, among others). I think a lot of folks on this thread, and others, are being just a bit too harsh on him. Let the arc play itself out before you start throwing the stones around, eh?

Good idea.

Willverine said:
I don't understand what all the hate is about. Kirkman is an excellent writer (definitely gained my respect from his work on Walking Dead, among others). I think a lot of folks on this thread, and others, are being just a bit too harsh on him. Let the arc play itself out before you start throwing the stones around, eh?

Good idea.
Too many posters fell in love with BKV's Ultimate X-Men. I mean he even brought back Forge. I've been asking for more Forge since Return of the King...

Anyway, Kirkman is far from deserving the venom he seems to have attracted, The Walking Dead and Invincible proving that.

Baxter said:
Too many posters fell in love with BKV's Ultimate X-Men. I mean he even brought back Forge. I've been asking for more Forge since Return of the King...

Anyway, Kirkman is far from deserving the venom he seems to have attracted, The Walking Dead and Invincible proving that.

Thank you, sir.

Really, a lot of posts in this thread remind me of a lot of the IMDB threads dealing with movies based on comic books. Honestly, I think fanboys need to let go of their anger for a while before they start jumping the shark.

If you really want to see what I mean, just check out more or less any post dealing with the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker.

My opinion is, you have to give it a chance before you start saying it sucks...

Willverine said:

Good idea.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while now, specifically to Goodwill.

Latest posts

Back