New Super Mario Bros.

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
I got this today. I'm only a few levels in, but so far it's very fun. The best new addition: The Mega Mushroom. It allows you to become a giant Mario that can just plow through an entire stage and smash everything. It's fun if you have no desire to explore a level and find all the secrets.

I was shocked to read the other day that this is the first 2-D Platformer starring Mario in 14 years (the last one was Super Mario World 2 in 1992). I'm glad Nintendo's brought him back to his roots.

I got this around mid-may, so I already beat it. It's one hell of a great game. It's so fun with all the classic meshes of the original mario games. Loved it all.

5/5

moonmaster said:
I was shocked to read the other day that this is the first 2-D Platformer starring Mario in 14 years (the last one was Super Mario World 2 in 1992). I'm glad Nintendo's brought him back to his roots.
Actually I recall there was a 2-d platformer when GB Advance came out. But yeah they rarely actually create a classic mario type game which they really should be doing.

I play this in Best Buy when I go in. The Mega Mushroom or whatever it's called is very cool.

E said:
I play this in Best Buy when I go in. The Mega Mushroom or whatever it's called is very cool.

I bet you hog it and don't let your son have a go.

Random said:
Actually I recall there was a 2-d platformer when GB Advance came out. But yeah they rarely actually create a classic mario type game which they really should be doing.
The GBAs were all ports of old SNES games. They just re-named them "Super Mario Bros. Advanced".
E said:
It totally is.

While I was at Best Buy, I took a few minutes to play Project Gotham Racing 3 (Since I haven't gotten a chance to try out the XBox 360 yet). It looked nice, but I find the hardcore racing sims to be too monotanous. The only way I'd get a game like that is if I had one of those steering wheel controllers. I've really been itching to play a racing game with one of those since I've learned how to drive.
ProjectX2 said:
The bastard.

ProjectX2 said:

He can play the crusty old Game Boy Advance they have on display.

E said:
He can play the crusty old Game Boy Advance they have on display.

I can see it now. All the kids coming up to your son saying "Dude....your dad's an ***!!!" To which E's son replies "Meh..." :lol:

Seriously though...I loved the demo I've played of this game. Although it's the only game I can think of to make me wanna get a DS (....well....that and the Nintendogs game. What??? :oops: ). But when I think about it....a Super Mario game just isn't worth me buying the DS. Besides....I really wish they'd come out with a Mega Mario collection (having all the Mario games on one disc). I loved Mario 64 on N64, Yoshi's Island on SNES, and Mario 3 on NES.

Make it happen Nintendo....make it happen.

moonmaster said:
The GBAs were all ports of old SNES games. They just re-named them "Super Mario Bros. Advanced".
No the first one had a new kind where you pick up onions or plants or eggs or something to throw, I dont recall anything like that on SNES

Random said:
No the first one had a new kind where you pick up onions or plants or eggs or something to throw, I dont recall anything like that on SNES

Seriously? That was Super Mario Bros. 2 - the greatest Mario game ever made. :D

E said:
Seriously? That was Super Mario Bros. 2 - the greatest Mario game ever made. :D

Please.......a floating Princess and rutabega slingin' Toad do not beat Magical Flying Racoon tails or Frog suits.

Victor Von Doom said:
Please.......a floating Princess and rutabega slingin' Toad do not beat Magical Flying Racoon tails or Frog suits.

The frog suit sucked. I always thought it was cool but it was totally useless on land and underwater it was only good for swimming against a current, which was practical in - what - 2 or 3 places? Highly overrated.

Maybe if you had countered with the Hammer Bros. suit you'd have an argument.

Random said:
I did not realise that, it been a while since my SNES days

One of my favorite games ever - I'm surprised to see it forgotten.

It was so awesome that I saved up my money to buy it. $45. And I didn't get an allowance growing up. The game came out in 1989 or something. I think I was in 4th grade.

I didn't need that kidney anyway.

Ice said:
Doubt it. But you can buy them for cheap with the new Nintendo.

Yeah...I read that little fact earlier today. It solidified the Wii's possibilties of being added to my collection. :rockon:

E said:
The frog suit sucked. I always thought it was cool but it was totally useless on land and underwater it was only good for swimming against a current, which was practical in - what - 2 or 3 places? Highly overrated.

Maybe if you had countered with the Hammer Bros. suit you'd have an argument.

The frog thing was just me being sarcastic.....but the Hammer suit....classic. But it was only useful if you knew geometry. Trying to figure out the arc in which the hammer would fall was fustrating.....especially when you're trying to explain it to your younger siblings.

Racoon ears!!!!!

Victor Von Doom said:
The frog thing was just me being sarcastic.....but the Hammer suit....classic. But it was only useful if you knew geometry. Trying to figure out the arc in which the hammer would fall was fustrating.....especially when you're trying to explain it to your younger siblings.

Indeed. Which is also part of what makes Mario 2 better - the final boss battle against Wart. C'mon - throwing vegetables in his mouth because he hates them? That's classic man.

E said:
Indeed. Which is also part of what makes Mario 2 better - the final boss battle against Wart. C'mon - throwing vegetables in his mouth because he hates them? That's classic man.

Way to go Nintendo for teaching kids that if you hate veggies, they'll kill you if you eat them. :wink:

Then the ending being all a dream? What kinda St.Elsewhere bull**** was that? #2 is def a classic......but it is so not the best in the series.

Victor Von Doom said:
Way to go Nintendo for teaching kids that if you hate veggies, they'll kill you if you eat them. :wink:

Then the ending being all a dream? What kinda St.Elsewhere bull**** was that? #2 is def a classic......but it is so not the best in the series.

I was actually kind of disappointed when it is revealed to be a dream, but I got over it. :D

The game loses a few points for being the easiest of the Super Mario games, but it was so much fun it makes up for it.

Bonus points also for spinning legs jumping Luigi.

Latest posts

Back