New York Comic-Con '08 Diary.

ZOMG!

Like last year, C.B. Cebulski asked to e-mail the picture with him (he did recieve last years) and I even got a reply! AWESOME!

It was great that he remembered the Loners Crew and everything. More on this later.

And didn't tell us.
There was no way to call you guys!

Last edited:
There was no way to call you guys!

Excuses. How hard can it be to locate some matches and an Indian and send up some smoke signals?

Just start a drunken brawl somewhere and Doom will be there in no time.

After we toured the toy store for about 15-20 minutes, we head out to go to Midtown Comics. We almost got lost since we were about to head in the opposite direction. But we end up finding it and look around to see what they have. I didn't really get anything since I wanted to save my money for the con since I'll be able to get comics/TPB/etc. there cheaper. So I just picked up a Spider-Man magazine with comic previews and the Marvel newspaper.

I went there on Sunday after Comic-Con.... :shock:

I got Vol. 4 of the X-Factor TPBs.

Every time I go to Applebees I get sick.

I remember eating at the Chinese place and the waitress not wanting to serve me what I ordered because it would be hot.

And also, New York Comic Con.

Every time I go to Applebees I get sick.

I remember eating at the Chinese place and the waitress not wanting to serve me what I ordered because it would be hot.

And also, New York Comic Con.

I will have to remember this method for staying on topic.

So, what, that's all we get? Day zero and the merits of Applebees? What kind of diary is this? What about the rest of the con, Ice? I hear Saturday was rather momentous. :D

So, what, that's all we get? Day zero and the merits of Applebees? What kind of diary is this? What about the rest of the con, Ice? I hear Saturday was rather momentous. :D
Hey, I've been tired since now that I'm home I'm actually getting some sleep. I'll post when I can.

Saturday was nothing special. :wink:

:p

New York Comic-Con
Day #1

Friday I was already up by 8. Mostly due that I could barely sleep (no, the beds were fine). I wake up my friend and we head out to get some breakfast at McDonalds. After coming back and watching some NCIS (an alright show) and Monk, we decide to walk around the city and check out some of the stores before heading to the con.

So we start walking around and eventually we come back around and head into the Virgin Megastore. We find the anime section for my friend as Juno is playing on the TV's. We keep looking around and we find a shirt (and an actual box set) of Justin & Andy's "Dick in a box" SNL short. And they even had "More Cowbell" shirt, too. Unfortunately I couldn't get either since all they had were medium shirts. My brother did, however, find another More Cowbell shirt at the con the next day. As we were leaving, I notice they had a Chuck Norris book containing the "Top 400" facts about him for $10. So I decide to buy it. :D

After we leave the store, it's almost noon and we decide to start heading towards the con. It actually took us about 20 minutes to walk there from the Virgin Megastore, so it was a nice walk with sunny weather and all. And yes, throughout all this I had my 'infamous' stroller bag. :wink:

When we get to the con, just looking at the convention center was jaw-dropping. This building is friggin' huge. We ask where the bathroom is at and head down to use it. And once we do, two people walk in. I see someone's nametag and think, "Wait, is that who I think it was?!"

When the person walks out, I ask, "Are you Walt Simonson?!" And he puts his finger to his lips as if really telling me "Don't tell no one." I ask for a picture, and of course he says yes. Meeting Simonson at the bathroom. What a story. :lol:

After this awesome encounter, we head back up to find the line. As we're getting closer, we notice there's art on the stairs. Don't know how it was done, but it was cool. Now, by the time we got in line, it was getting packed quickly. Of course, we got spots in the front area of the line. By the time it was around 2 or so, I get a call from Dr.Strangefate saying he was on his way. When he did get there, I used my awesome abilities to get him where I was. 'Cuz you know, I'm that good.

Once we're finally in the convention floor (w000t!) We immediately disperse. My brother went one way, my friend another, and DSF and I go to the Marvel booth. We get some Skrull masks and take pictures of each other in them. Afterwards, DSF leaves to do his own thing, and I wait in line to get some autographs.

This quick autograph session had Joe Quesada, Marc Guggenheim, Richard Isanove, and Brian Reed.

NewYorkComicCon08030.jpg

After waiting forever to get my comics signed because some idiot in front of me decided to bring every comic known to man from every writer/artist, I try to get down to the Chesterquest panel before I'm late. Of course it didn't help me when I kept stopping by other artist's in the Artist Alley getting more autographs. But I was able to free myself and head down to the panel, which took me forever to find. I wasn't kidding when I said this place was HUGE. I got lost trying to find the panel rooms, which turned out to be in the complete end of the building of the last floor, and then down the end of the looooooong hallway.

I was late in getting to the panel, but I made it. My main BBQ buddy C.B. Cebulski was there revealing the winners from his 6-month artist competition trip. 12 winners were selected from (literally) all over the world. A lot of the art was awesome, good, and some I'd prefer not to have personally. Once the short panel was over, the Mondo Marvel was getting ready to start and a lot of the writers/editors/artists/etc. were taking their seats. I'm sure you guys already read the news so I of course am not going to go over any news announcement.

I did, however, ask a question, which was the one about the drugs/swearing questions. I should say that while talking about the drug aspect, Joe Q. did not let me finish my point and kept interrupting me. I didn't want to hold up the line, so I dropped it and continued on with my other question before I was mobbed down (these people will jump you. I wish I had Doom…).

Soon after that the Secret Invasion panel started. I again asked a question (pertaining to the X-Men tie-in) and then left shortly after that since I already saw the slide-show and wanted to actually see if I could get more signatures from other artists.

When I get back up to the convention floor, I look for Mark Brooks to try and pull off a 'trick' Bass wanted me to do on him. Bass wanted me to add the word "space" in front of every other word (to know why, ask Bass himself). Mark soon started to give me a weird funny look like, "What the hell is wrong with this guy…?"- so I explained why I was saying it. He then told me that once I talked to Bass again to call him a terrorist. Mark is really a cool and funny guy. And his wife is, too. They're great to talk to and hang around with. One day I'll go to the bar with them at night just to hear stories from them.

There were other stuff I did, but that was just taking pictures of people in costumes and what not.

Anywhos, since the day was almost over, we decide to call a night since the convention floor closed at 7 and it was almost that time. We walk back to the hotel, drop our stuff off and head off to dinner at T.G.I. Fridays.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back