Newsarama.com provides a 12-page preview of Ultimate Fantastic Four #21.

This is gonna be awesome. I can't wait.

I haven't even read this yet, but just looking at the thumbnails - this is the most beautiful comic book I've ever seen. :shock:

Oh yeah, that was great. I've loved Land ever since Sojourn (a non-superhero comic for you uninformed), and he's great here as well. Looks like a great story is coming. Sue looks like Jessica Alba and Johnny's hair is curly.

Goodwill said:
Yeah, this looks amazing... This was how I imagined the Fantastic Four was going to be since the first arc. I am really liking the direction they are taking the characters. I didn't know Reed would devulge in the media as he did, I knew Johnny would, and I also predicted Sue and Ben being reluctant about it. E, I did speak too soon. Sorry. Also, I wonder where else Millar will take us in this issue... He's been around to a lot already.

Boasting a bit aren't we?

Nurhachi said:
Best Uff Issue Ever

No question. These pages read just like Ultimates, which obviously is a very very good thing, since Ultimates is one of the greatest books in the history of comics. :D

Not only that, but the art is on par with Ultimates. I just can't get over how gorgeous this book is. Sue looks amazing and everyone just looks so realistic.

My only concern is that it looks like they reached celebrity status before this issue takes place, which means it would have had to have taken place in #20. This kind of worries me, since I haven't read #20 yet today - but just based on #19 it doesn't seem like the kind of story that will lead into that. It *seems* like if they do it would be awkward...

I might just be being too picky, but I'd prefer a smooth transition between writers.

I agree with you there. Esp. in the Ultimate line of comics, things should proceed smoothly between arcs.

But then again, it is comics, and that hardly happens

I don't mean to badger you, E, but how could there be a swift transaction? The media are a bunch of sharks, you know... They'll come running at the drop of a hat, so long as there is a story. I don't see anything wrong with this scene at all. I would like to see it touched on in #20, though. Good call.

I'm actually surprised that everyone is taking this so well. I thought we would have a problem with time travel, but I guess not. :) I sure don't, being the BTTF fan that I am. I can't wait to see more!

UltimateE said:
My only concern is that it looks like they reached celebrity status before this issue takes place, which means it would have had to have taken place in #20. This kind of worries me, since I haven't read #20 yet today - but just based on #19 it doesn't seem like the kind of story that will lead into that. It *seems* like if they do it would be awkward...

I might just be being too picky, but I'd prefer a smooth transition between writers.

The way the press is nowadays,people can be made celebrities overnight.In fact I think its a good move by Millar,one that should've been done in#19.

'swhat I think, too. ;) Millar doesn't need to focus on it too much, although I would like to see Vegas before the X-Men Annual.

UltimateE said:
No question. These pages read just like Ultimates, which obviously is a very very good thing, since Ultimates is one of the greatest books in the history of comics. :D

Not only that, but the art is on par with Ultimates. I just can't get over how gorgeous this book is. Sue looks amazing and everyone just looks so realistic.
Agree. I think it'd be awesome if they could keep this look and vibe beyond Millar's work, but even if they didn't I guess we should happy with the twelve issue deal. I hope one day Millar returns a few years after and becomes the official John Byrne/Stan Lee of the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

UltimateE said:
I suspect that we'll be getting some kind of official explanation as to what happened between that arc and the previous to fill in that sudden development of fame. It wouldn't hurt for Millar to use this opening as a sort of in media res device and then explain things after in a manner similar to how Stan Lee started off Fantastic Four 1 with each of them already having their powers and explaining the backstory later into the book.

Of course, it wouldn't be beyond Millar to make use of some blatant expository dialogue through media clips and interviews. That may not be what you're looking for, but I'm sure he can pull it off fine like he does in Ultimates.

ourchair said:
Of course, it wouldn't be beyond Millar to make use of some blatant expository dialogue through media clips and interviews. That may not be what you're looking for, but I'm sure he can pull it off fine like he does in Ultimates.

I wouldn't have a problem with that...good call.

Well, I decided today that I'm going to start picking this up monthly. It's a mommentous occasion for me, as I don't even buy The Ultiamtes monthly. Having read teh preview I do feel a little let down, not in the art of the wordsmithing, but in the fact that they previewed half the damn book for us. I want to get my $3 worth when I pick it up. Having already read half I'm not going to feel that way.

Baxter said:
Having read teh preview I do feel a little let down, not in the art of the wordsmithing, but in the fact that they previewed half the damn book for us. I want to get my $3 worth when I pick it up. Having already read half I'm not going to feel that way.
Too bad. :(

I made it a point to NOT read the preview beyond the first six pages because I have a limited comic budget is and I am already committed to following UFF all the way to at least the end of Millar's run.

there is half an issue here, it is already best writen, best drawn/colored and they got 4s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and are referd 2 as the 44 now all we need is an appearance by doom and its all perfect!!! (and the maggot thing being poked @ with sticks is blastar)

:lol: That's awesome. Ultimate Blastaar...

I really hope Doom shows up,too. I would hate to see Millar leave him alone.

Spade said:
(and the maggot thing being poked @ with sticks is blastar)

Goodwill said:
That's awesome. Ultimate Blastaar...

Uhhh, are you guys sure thats supposed to be Ultimate Blastaar? Last I saw Blastaar he was a big, humanoid looking guy with gray fur, a big hairy mane around his head, and he wore a blue costume. Kinda different than a big slug/maggot.

Anyway, the art is excellent in this book. I'd love to see Land do Ultimates 3, I think his art is definitly worthy (hopefully the writer who picks up after Millar on Ultimates 3 will be as well).

Latest posts

Back