Newsarama reveals full Ultimates Annual cover

Guijllons said:
Ok, I'll say this again. Aren't they supposed to be totally new characters?
Or have I missed a newer announcement from Millar saying that what he said before was all a pile of misleading tosh?
I was under the impression that its new ultimizations, not all new characters.

Remember this guys:

"It's not my place to give away the details of the other two annuals, but my own will feature a brand new super-team in The Ultimates, made up entirely of new characters and having been put together by Nick Fury for a reason you probably shouldn't hear about until you've read issue six later this month. The UFF annual is pretty unusual for me in that we're dipping into old Marvel characters (as opposed to just creating new ones and new situations) and doing the Ultimate Inhumans. It's a new take on the characters and I think you'll dig it, especially when you see the glorious artwork of Mister Jae Lee on these characters again. I was an absolute pain in the arse with Marvel regarding ythe artists on my two books, knocking back seven different proposed artists until I got the ones I wanted. Like I said, these have to be big and special and the artists had to be A-list if readers are being charged extra cash for the story.

MM

PS Not sure if they're linked here, but three of the covers are up on JQ.com this morning. The Ultimates cover spoilers issue six a little so this won't be released for a couple of weeks."
Could still go either way, I think.

I hate Millar.

Yet at the same time, I love him.

Well, I will say this - I think it's better if Millar did the original character thing... I think the Ultimate Universe needs to be able to stand on its own two feet and, by writing a successful team consisting of brand new characters, should do the trick. It would set it apart, most definitely. I think I'm looking forward to this a bit more.

I agree.

When we were talking about the 2099 line-up, I found it interesting that in this special line we had Spider-Man, Punisher, Ravage, X-Men, Doom, and Ghost Rider. I really like that.

This is why I'm hoping that the 5th ongoing will be Mahr-Vell. It would be cool for the UU to be a bit more unique with some characters meaning more than they used to in 616. In Mahr-Vell's case, it would be a chance to do more with a popular and influential 616 character that isn't being touched on at all.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't know what to make of this.... is this the annual? Who are these people?? it looks like clones of the same team... lame...
Based on the cover, I agree it's going to be lame. There is no way the writing inside of the book could match up to it and still be enjoyable.

Hmm, this reminds me of an old saying.......

Bass said:
I agree.

When we were talking about the 2099 line-up, I found it interesting that in this special line we had Spider-Man, Punisher, Ravage, X-Men, Doom, and Ghost Rider. I really like that.

This is why I'm hoping that the 5th ongoing will be Mahr-Vell. It would be cool for the UU to be a bit more unique with some characters meaning more than they used to in 616. In Mahr-Vell's case, it would be a chance to do more with a popular and influential 616 character that isn't being touched on at all.

That's really what I'm hoping for, too. You see, I think Marvel should treat the Ultimate Universe as more of an oppurtunity rather than "616 revamped", so to speak, especially now that our infant Universe is beginning to crawl a bit. The UU, the oppurtunity, should pit characters in brand new situations and, at the same time, have these characters act and react as they would have in 616. For instance, this is a radical example, but have, say, the Green Goblin fight the X-Men and just see what happens. Just see what happens. Also, with new characters, there's a way to attract more people to the Marvel universe at large. In creating new characters that are appealing to fans, there would essentially be a "Ultimate Marvel Next". This Goliath could be Marvel's next big thing, you know? That's what I'm talking about...

This should probably go in some other thread, huh?

Goodwill said:
Where was Goliath from then? I'm pretty sure he was in the Thunderbolts, too.
Goliath was another name that Hank Pym used.... I don't think he was in the Thunderbolts, but i do know he used the name during several stints in the Avengers

Vegetable-man said:
Goliath was another name that Hank Pym used.... I don't think he was in the Thunderbolts, but i do know he used the name during several stints in the Avengers

Goliath was also Hawkeye's codename when he had size changing powers (can't remember exact timeframe but I believe he lost the powers during or just before the Kree/Skrull War).

Well, ok, but this is handle is very obviously being taken from the both of them, Hank and Clint, so that Millar can introduce a new character. That's all I was asking about. :) Thanks for your help, Entropy and Veggie! :)

Where's the preview linked at?

Goliath is a seperate individual from Hawkeye and Hank. I do believe they're ultimizing the Thunderbolts member.

Also since the preview shows pretty much every character still on the team so who the hell is the traitor? When does the Annual take place on the timeline?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Where's the preview linked at?

Goliath is a seperate individual from Hawkeye and Hank. I do believe they're ultimizing the Thunderbolts member.

Also since the preview shows pretty much every character still on the team so who the hell is the traitor? When does the Annual take place on the timeline?
I'm a tellin ya buddy, Hank Pym and Hawkeye where Goliath.... Atlas was in the Thunderbolts..... but there was a hero in the old Defenders comic that was called Black Goliath.... and yes, he was African American, and could grow in size and strength, much like Giant Man/Goliath and Atlas...

TheManWithoutFear said:

That's what I thought, too! Could someone please help us out?

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought there was a member on Thunderbolts named Goliath but I guess Veg knows more about that than I do ... so I dunno... but at least it's safe to say that this Ultimate Goliath is going to be a different individual.

Your thinking about Atlas. When Atlas was a villain (before he joined the T-Bolts) his name was goliath

Back