Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
The Bald One Is "Nick Fury"?
Posted: Tuesday July 5th, 2005 3:36pm
Source: SFX Magazine
Author: Garth Franklin

Bruce Willis is being tipped to play Nick Fury Agent of Shield in the film adaptation of the comic says SFX Magazine & Moviehole.

The eye-patched adorned, cigar-chompin Marvel comic character is the director of an international espionage organization called S.H.I.E.L.D, who are constantly going up against rogues like the wicked Hydra. Samuel L. Jackson was rumoured to be up for the lead last year.

Much like "The Punisher" with Dolph Lundgren, 'Fury' first hit the screen in the 90's as a lacklustre David Hasselhoff video vehicle. This new version will hit 2007/2008.

Thanks to 'Clint'

Source: DarkHorizons

Boooo!

Samuel L. is the only man for the role!

icemastertron said:
Interesting.

Is this a remake, or just another NF:AOS movie with the same title?
Most probably not a remake, if only because Marvel would desire distancing themselves from the Hasselhoff film. It seems that just about EVERY film nowadays isn't really a "remake" so much as "reinvention".

ourchair said:
Most probably not a remake, if only because Marvel would desire distancing themselves from the Hasselhoff film. It seems that just about EVERY film nowadays isn't really a "remake" so much as "reinvention".
That's a good point.

I think it'd be too on the mark if Samuel L. Jackson played an "Ultimate" Fury. There's a running gag going on between him and Laurence Fishburne right now --- they keep getting mistaken for each other even though they don't look anything alike.

On that note, it should be Laurence Fishburne who should play the Agent of SHIELD. He'd be like Morpheus' badassness minus the existential wankery.

That stinks. If they can make Kingpin and FF SPOILERS!!!!
Alicia
black in 616 movies, they sure as hell can make Fury black too. Besides, Willis looks nothing like Fury, and UU Fury was based off Jackson, for gods sake!

I'm okay now.

ultimatedjf said:
That stinks. If they can make Kingpin and FF SPOILERS!!!!
Alicia
black in 616 movies, they sure as hell can make Fury black too. Besides, Willis looks nothing like Fury, and UU Fury was based off Jackson, for gods sake!

I'm okay now.
Yeah, but they chose to have a black Kingpin because of teh actor, and he made a good Kingpin. But choosing Samuel L. Jackson because the character was based off him isn't right, because this film isn't about Ultimate Nick Fury, its 616 Nick Fury. In which case, Bruce would make a pretty good Nick.

GMaster said:
Yeah, but they chose to have a black Kingpin because of teh actor, and he made a good Kingpin. But choosing Samuel L. Jackson because the character was based off him isn't right, because this film isn't about Ultimate Nick Fury, its 616 Nick Fury. In which case, Bruce would make a pretty good Nick.
Those are sound points.

I've always believed that even though Ultimate Fury is "based" on Jackson, it's not totally meant to look like Jackson at least not in ALL the art Hitch draws of him. In fact, the eyes are often very different from Sam's eyes.

However, I suspect that a black Fury is what they're going to go for, simply because it's a conveniently Hollywoodish hook that can be used to distinguish the character from all other cinema superspies.

Think about it: A black bad *** mofo superspy is nothing we've really seen before. Unless you count Undercover Brother and that wasn't exactly about badass that was about low-brow comedic hijinks.

GMaster said:
That's a good point too. But you're missing a little something. The movie won't be based off 616 Fury. We should all know by now that the movie-verse is different from any other alternate versions of characters. Who really cares about the back history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fury. I'm sure that diehard Nick Fury/SHIELD fans aren't going to be offended when this movie comes out... that's if there's such things as hardcore Fury fans....

TheManWithoutFear said:
That's a good point too. But you're missing a little something. The movie won't be based off 616 Fury. We should all know by now that the movie-verse is different from any other alternate versions of characters. Who really cares about the back history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fury. I'm sure that diehard Nick Fury/SHIELD fans aren't going to be offended when this movie comes out... that's if there's such things as hardcore Fury fans....

Word to ya motha.

HOLLA!

TheManWithoutFear said:
Exactly.

The movieverse version will most likely be an amalgam of both Ultimate and non-Ultimate traits, which isn't exactly surprising seeing as the same thing has been done with The Fantastic Four movie, and to some small extent the Spider-Man franchise.

Like I said, an amalgam of black Fury with traditional Fury elements --- Steranko style imagery and innuendo, 60s superspy tech --- would probably be the more patently marketable concept from a Hollywood context anyway.

I had my hopes up when they wanted the Ultimate version of Nick Fury.

Then I read Will Smith.

Blech. Marvel movies suck.

Latest posts

Back