Nick Fury...demoted?

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
In some of the recent Ultimate titles, Nick Fury has been consistently referred to as a Colonel, instead of his established rank of General. Does anyone else think that as a result of the events of Ultimates 2, Fury might be demoted back to a Colonel?

I must say, it does make a certain amount of sense.

Or are the writers/editors just that out of touch with the character?

Wasn't he still General in the "Clone Saga" In USM? maybe that's why he got demoted for that. He did after all cause a huge scene , almost blow Spidey's identity and failed to destroy all clones.

In some of the recent Ultimate titles, Nick Fury has been consistently referred to as a Colonel, instead of his established rank of General. Does anyone else think that as a result of the events of Ultimates 2, Fury might be demoted back to a Colonel?

I must say, it does make a certain amount of sense.

Or are the writers/editors just that out of touch with the character?

I think it's just a matter of inconsistencies with those writing the character.

I seriously doubt that he'll be demoted.

If it's not what I said maybe it's a nick name.

Perhaps he happens to be a big KFC fan. (mmmmmm I love kfc chicken)

"Inconsistances with those writing the character" is a nice way of saying the writers are lazy and not checking. Same goes for the editors. And I agree.

I don't doubt that he'll be demoted. They'll conjure up something to explain it.

Yeah, I noticed in both Carey's books this week he was referred to as Colonel. And Vision definately takes place prior to Ultimates 2, or at least Grand Theft America.

I guess it's just a mess up.

Yeah, he was promoted when Ross "died", I think.

Yep. Yep.

And as long as he's the head of SHIELD he's a General since the two roles depend on each other, since he completely skipped the rank of Brigadier.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, when he was white in Ultimate X-men

Go read "Return to Weapon X" again, he's black. He was white in Ultimate Marvel Team Up.

Last edited:
He wasn't even white in Team-Up. Or at leats he was in heavy shadows and you couldn't really tell one way or the other.

Final page of the team up issue with Black Widow has a clear as day shot of white 616 looking Fury. Which is all kinds of odd since right at the bottom it says, "See more of Black Widow in the pages of The Ultimates!"

But she was introduced in like issue 7 or 8 of Ultimates and Nick was introduced in 2 as black, and black in UXM.

Odd how bad a few people can mess up when they share the same editors.

Odd how bad a few people can mess up when they share the same editors.

It's slop and it's sad because this isn't the first time it's happened, and they obviously have no desire to do anything about it.

I wish they would even go back and fix stuff like this for the TPB, but they don't even do that. How hard is it to edit out "Colonel" and letter in "General"?

Final page of the team up issue with Black Widow has a clear as day shot of white 616 looking Fury. Which is all kinds of odd since right at the bottom it says, "See more of Black Widow in the pages of The Ultimates!"

BENDIS: All will be explained in "Ultimate Origin." OooOOOOooooOOOooOoo!

Wasn't he still General in the "Clone Saga" In USM? maybe that's why he got demoted for that. He did after all cause a huge scene , almost blow Spidey's identity and failed to destroy all clones.

Eh, maybe. I think the country being invaded by foreign superpowers might be a better reason than just a neighborhood event.

I originally thought so too, but the amount of recent cases of him being referred to as a Colonel makes me think otherwise. I think in just the titles released yesterday he was referred to as a Colonel in both Ultimate Vision #4 and UFF.

Its possible its just a screw-up on the writers' parts, but if so it makes me lose even more hope in the Ultimate editorial department.

:(

Yeah, I noticed in both Carey's books this week he was referred to as Colonel. And Vision definately takes place prior to Ultimates 2, or at least Grand Theft America.

I guess it's just a mess up.

Good point, I forgot about the Vision placement on the timeline. D'oh!

Latest posts

Back