Nintendo Wii discussion

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
And the name is.... Wii???

From IGN.com:

Introducing Nintendo Wii
Revolution gets an official name.

April 27, 2006 - Nintendo revealed this morning that the official name of its formerly codenamed Revolution system is Nintendo Wii.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.​

Click here to download the official trailer for Nintendo Wii.

Click here for the official website for Wii.

Re: Nintendo's Revolution gets an official name

arte.jpg

E said:

I'd play with that Wie all night long...is she legal yet? (Admittedly that isn't a great picture of her).

Anyway, I agree, I liked Revolution better. Whatever, though, I'm not getting the system for its name, I'm getting it for its games and presentation of them.

I thought Revolution was the official name

It should have been.

ProjectX2 said:
I thought Revolution was the official name

It should have been.
No it was just a codename, I remember the codename for Gamecube was Dolphin

Wii????

Good god, does Nintendo want to kill their sales? The hardcore Nintendo fans and gamers will get this. But what about the average joe market? Yep, think Nintendo just lost almost all sales to the casual gamer because of that name. Don't matter how good the system is.

Say Jimmy's mom wants to buy him a system. She sees an XBOX 360, a PS3, and a Wii. She'll probably go for the 360 or PS3.

That said, I'm still undecided between the PS3 and Revolu... errr.... Wii.

God, that name sucks.

[FRENCH ACCENT]WII, WII![/FRENCH ACCENT]

Very awkward name. I'm still interested in seeing what Nintendo can bring to the table, though.

DIrishB said:
I'd play with that Wie all night long...is she legal yet?

I don't think so...someone said 16, but I think she's only 15.

Latest posts

Back