Oscar-worthy films of 2008

Langsta

I was thinking today, with all the hype surrounding The Dark Knight and its possible Oscar nomination, there haven't really been a lot of movies so far this year that I would say are "Oscar-worthy." I know we're only half-way into 2008, so will the Academy-Award-nominated movies come late this year?

Burn After Reading and Body of Lies, which come out later this year, look like they could be worthy contenders at the Oscars. What do you think?

I think Speed Racer should be nominated for something effects wise for sure. It wont but it should.

In Bruges deserves a Best Picture nomination so far, and Orginal Screenplay...

If Wall-E gets a Best Pic nom I'll murder somebody, because The Lion King and Spirited Away did not.

Whether or not Ledger deserves it, I'll be frustrated if the first Oscar nomination for the portrayal of a comic book character ever is seen as a pity vote or a hype vote. A Best Pic nod on the other hand would be fine, if it deserves it...

Other than that, nothing I've seen so far has been Best Picture worthy.

But it doesn't matter. 2008 isn't what matters to them. 2008-B - a.k.a. December - is.

If Wall-E gets a Best Pic nom I'll murder somebody, because The Lion King and Spirited Away did not.

Whether or not Ledger deserves it, I'll be frustrated if the first Oscar nomination for the portrayal of a comic book character ever is seen as a pity vote or a hype vote. A Best Pic nod on the other hand would be fine, if it deserves it...

Other than that, nothing I've seen so far has been Best Picture worthy.

But it doesn't matter. 2008 isn't what matters to them. 2008-B - a.k.a. December - is.

OK, your dislike of Wall-E aside, I don't expect it to get Best Picture, or a nom for that matter. Just best animated feature. I think that's the best it can hope for. Maybe Kung Fu Panda, but I find it unlikely they'd pick it, though it was a good movie.

And while I never saw Speed Racer, I do think it will get a nom for best effects.

Australia looks like it might could win some awards, but I've heard that it's overlong and inconsistent (two things that editing could help between now and when it's released). Burn After Reading doesn't have that "Best Picture" vibe to it, but then neither did Juno (mind you, I don't think that was worthy either, but it was nominated), and I can seriously see Brad Pitt picking up at least a nom for best actor by just looking at how ridiculous his character is.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? I guess it would depend on how "different" it is.

Death Race. Just kidding.

While I haven't seen it I'd be surprised if it deserved a best picture nomination. It looked like a good, quirky, indie film, but nothing spectacularly moving. Best screenplay however might be fine.

Death Race. Just kidding.

Oscar nominees for film that most wants to be an 80s John Carpenter flick are...

Doomsday
Death Race
and Beverly Hills Chihuahua!

I can't think of a category, but I would like to see Cloverfield nominated for something. Because they really did something unique their and it worked really well in story, acting, effects, cinematography, just about everything. So I would like to see that get something

Wall-E is the only thing released so far that deserves it. We'll see about Dark Knight.

And Beauty and the Beast deserved the nod more than The Lion King, and it got it. Plus the year it was nominated, it would have gone up against Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and Four Weddings and a Funeral... And the only one of those films that could be knocked off the list is Four Weddings. But it's not like it didn't get nominated just because it was animated. It was a tough year to get into the best picture category. Damn, 94 was a great year for movies. I agree Spirited Away should have made it at least to best Foreign Film. But non-english movies/english dubs of other movies almost never make it to Best Picture nominations.

I just hate the Best Animated category in general. It makes it less significant for things more deserving when they win, and allow for some ****ty movies to put "oscar nominated" on the DVD box.

While I haven't seen it I'd be surprised if it deserved a best picture nomination. It looked like a good, quirky, indie film, but nothing spectacularly moving. Best screenplay however might be fine.

I don't want to over-hype it but it's certainly the best film I've seen so far this year, and definitely better than similar films that have been nominated in past years(Sideways, for a pretty loose example).

And Beauty and the Beast deserved the nod more than The Lion King, and it got it.

Beauty And The Beast probably deserved it in it's own right but I don't agree that it deserved it more. They're about tied. The Lion King deserved it in its own right too, and I hate the idea that BATB is the hallowed only animated film good enough be nominated for Best Picture, because there've been ones as good or better than it since.

Plus the year it was nominated, it would have gone up against Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and Four Weddings and a Funeral... And the only one of those films that could be knocked off the list is Four Weddings.

Quiz Show. And I really liked that movie. But it's not The Lion King.

But it's not like it didn't get nominated just because it was animated.

I have a hard time believing it wasn't a factor, at least psychologically, when it came time to very difficulty narrow it down to five that year.

It was a tough year to get into the best picture category. Damn, 94 was a great year for movies. I agree Spirited Away should have made it at least to best Foreign Film. But non-english movies/english dubs of other movies almost never make it to Best Picture nominations.

It's true, and I hate that. Also, Crouchng Tiger is the one example I can think of and it didn't deserve it.

I just hate the Best Animated category in general. It makes it less significant for things more deserving when they win, and allow for some ****ty movies to put "oscar nominated" on the DVD box.

I agree with this but only because it seems to have been created to pacify the building(and deserved) acclaim for animated films and as an alternative to having to feel embarassed about voting for an animated film or like an ogre for voting against one.

Last edited:
Totally agree about crouching tiger.

I think the oscar choices will start popping up towards the end of the year... There are several things that look like they might be up to snuff.

I got one word for you wankers: CHE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_(film)#Reception
All right, maybe it won't get a Best Picture nom, but it's possible that Benicio del Toro will get a Best Actor nom (I haven't even seen the movie, I just read in TotalFilm - yes, I read British magazines, you bloody wankers - that Che is a two-part, four-hour-and-18-minute bio-pic about Che Guevara, starring Benicio del Toro)?

Che is filmed completely in Spanish (I think). Part one is "The Argentine," part two is "Guerilla."

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that a long time ago. It should be interesting.

2008OSCARNOMINEES.jpg

I got one word for you wankers: CHE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_(film)#Reception
All right, maybe it won't get a Best Picture nom, but it's possible that Benicio del Toro will get a Best Actor nom (I haven't even seen the movie, I just read in TotalFilm - yes, I read British magazines, you bloody wankers - that Che is a two-part, four-hour-and-18-minute bio-pic about Che Guevara, starring Benicio del Toro)?

Che is filmed completely in Spanish (I think). Part one is "The Argentine," part two is "Guerilla."

Medellin?

So. Guys. Dark Knight. You've seen it. Any hopes?

<---not an Academy Speculator.

I think Ledger might be nominated but he won't get it. The film will be nominated for some small category.

Latest posts

Back