Over/Under-rated and Over/Under-stated games

One very over-rated is that Pikmin game. IT'S BULL****! One of the most boringest and dumbest game ever, and it was highly loved. BAH!

My friend Shane used to love that game. My best friend Tom and I just didn't have the heart to break it to him that the game he was playing was a steaming pile of goat****.

I remember the day Tom finally spilled the beans. We were having a discussion with Shane about how even games that are 'bad' are never really completely devoid of any playability (we were young and naive) and then Tom added "Well that 'Pikmin' game...I'm sorry, Shane, but that just isn't a fun game."

Shane was crushed.

Although I play, I do agree that WoW is terribly overrated... And although I don't play, I can tell that Halo is overrated. It's like you guys haven't played shooters before. :roll:

:lol:

Although I play, I do agree that WoW is terribly overrated... And although I don't play, I can tell that Halo is overrated. It's like you guys haven't played shooters before. :roll:

:lol:

Thing about WoW is that it's the best MMO out there. So, I wouldn't exactly call it overrated when there really isn't a game better than it in its genre.

I'm going to quickly defend Halo and GTA.

Halo is good because it's the best arcade shooter on any console. And far more people play console games than PC games. When you put it on the PC, though, it becomes another run-of-the-mill shooter.

As for GTA, GTA 3 was revolutionary. It changed how a lot of games were made. Vice City and San Andreas basically just added a new coat of paint. They were a lot of fun (Mainly because I love the 80s and 90s), but they shouldn't have gotten the scores and praise they did when it was basically nothing but a new paint job.

Now, GTA4, on the other hand, looks to be just as revolutionary as 3, but we'll see.

Halo is good because it's the best arcade shooter on any console. And far more people play console games than PC games. When you put it on the PC, though, it becomes another run-of-the-mill shooter.
If you meant to defend Halo, then you just damned it with faint praise. Besides, calling Halo overrated doesn't make it a 'not good game'. It really is rather excellent.

Lynx said:
As for GTA, GTA 3 was revolutionary. It changed how a lot of games were made.
I can agree with this statement.

Third person action games in free-roaming sandbox environments have been done before like Urban Chaos, Omikron: The Nomad Soul. As such, GTA isn't doing anything 'new'.

But what is most certainly true is that it DID change how a lot of games were made. After all, no one can deny that its commercial success spurred the impetus to incorporate free-roaming action elements into later products.

I take it you're referring to Tim Schafer.

Yeah that his name.

Schafer was only involved in the first two Monkey Island games, contributing a sizeable chunk of the humorous dialogue necessary for the ancillary sections of the game, but FAR LESS involved in puzzle design and the general 'master plan' of that series.

Which is not to say he ain't great. He was lead designer and project lead for Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, two adventure games whose total combined awesomeness exceeds that of every single person who has ever been a project lead on the Monkey Island series: Ron Gilbert, Jonathan Ackley, Larry Ahern, Michael Stemmle and Sean Clark.

Huh, don't think I've heard of those two games.

WoW is THE most overrated MMO....ever.

There is nothing innovative about the game.

EverQuest is the close number 2.

Does a game have to be innovative to be good then?

No, but it should be, to justify the hype.

But, sometimes innovation doesn't help either.

And overrated, in my opinion just means it gets more press and praise than it really deserves.

Last edited:
Overrated
Pokemon series
Halo series
FF series
Zelda for Wii

Underrated

Lego star wars 1+2
Nintendogs
KOTOR 1
Marvel Ultimate alliance

there are more for booth but I figured why not say those

No, but it should be, to justify the hype.

I see it differently. If a tested game formula is taken and massively polished, it gets a lot of attention because it becomes the pinnacle of said game formula, which WoW does better than other MMOs.

There are innovative MMOs that aren't as good as WoW, for example. I'd consider both Planetside and EVE to be innovative, although the former was terribly broken and the later is mind-numbingly boring.

There are other games that are just as innovative, but I don't think deserve the hype. Final Fantasy VII comes to mind. That game brought RPGs into 3D and proved it was a very successful formula. Mind, I love FF7, but I think its vastly overrated.

So, I guess we just have different opinions on what constitutes something being overrated. :wink:

EDIT: Dammit, skotti. Your edit made my post moot. :p

Last edited:
I see it differently. If a tested game formula is taken and massively polished, it gets a lot of attention because it becomes the pinnacle of said game formula, which WoW does better than other MMOs.

There are innovative MMOs that aren't as good as WoW, for example. I'd consider both Planetside and EVE to be innovative, although the former was terribly broken and the later is mind-numbingly boring.

There are other games that are just as innovative, but I don't think deserve the hype. Final Fantasy VII comes to mind. That game brought RPGs into 3D and proved it was a very successful formula. Mind, I love FF7, but I think its vastly overrated.

So, I guess we just have different opinions on what constitutes something being overrated. :wink:

Exactly, it's all completely subjective.

I only play WoW at this point to avoid the whining the girlfriend throws at me.

I desperately miss FFXI

*cringe* Oh, lord, did I hate XI. . .

Now, if you ladies had said DAoC, you might have been on to something. I loved me some Albion, Hybernia and Midgard RvR action.

I loved DAoC, and I'm sooo looking forward to Warhammer Online.

Sue me...I miss my Mithra

Didn't think anyone besides me was into FFXI. Even though it wasn't exactly the best MMO ever...I still really enjoyed it.

I loved DAoC, and I'm sooo looking forward to Warhammer Online.

Sue me...I miss my Mithra

I wanted to like it. Desperately. I wanted to know the story. But the forced partying really turned me off. The game was the definition of "grind".

Underrated
Lego star wars 1+2

Lego Star Wars certainly isn't under-rated. Understated amongst the general gaming populace maybe, but it's brilliance is certainly recognised by all the big reviewers.

Does anyone have The Complete Saga? My brother really wants to get it, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting when you already have the other games.

most perfectly highly-rated game is Resident Evil 4, with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence a close 2nd. that is to say, I think they are deserving of all the praise they get.

SSX3 is also one of the nicest, smoothest games I have ever played, but I don't hear nearly enough praise for that game. The only negative aspect of it is that they took away the varying snowboard types of the previous game (Freestyle, Boarder-Cross, and Alpine) that were designed for different events (trick, mix, race, respectively). I give it a 9.5 just because of the lack of varying board types. But dang, what a good game.

EDIT: Mole, I just want to say, Pokémon Blue/Red is probably the best handheld game I've ever played. It did everything right. Seriously.

Also great: Kirby's Adventure (for NES or SNES I think... not the gameboy one though, which I think is dreamland... but i may be mixed up), Metroid Fusion for GBA, Super Metroid,

ADVANCE WARS 1 & 2. GOD these are great games.

And I really like the fast-paced arcade shooting of Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

and Zelda: Link's Awakening for GBColor was a lot of fun back in the day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back