Pan's Labyrinth

Heehee.

No, but for cereally, guys, does anyone know what to present to the ticketperson if you don't have your drivers license yet? Is there just a license license that you can get or what?

:D

Any ID with your picture and birthday should be sufficient. If your permit doesn't have those, you should be able to get a non-driver's ID from your D.O.T. I don't know what it requires in your area (I don't drive so I have one) but all I needed was an official birth certificate with notary seal and another ID with my picture (I used an old school ID). Call and check. They shouldn't be too expensive either.

On another note, a lot of independant theaters usually don't ID for films so if you have one in your area that's showing the flick, you might try there.

VVD, I apologize for what I said earlier. You were right.

I hated Pan's Labyrinth. I really did. The commercials, posters, interviews, everything make it seem like it's this beautiful, dark, fantasy adventure that takes place around the war.

In reality, it's a 2+ hour generic war movie with about 15-20 minutes of fantasy.

Complete and utter bull****. If you want to do a movie like that, go right the f*** ahead. But don't market it as a dreamlike fantasy when it isn't one at all, or you're going to get some pretty pissed off people walking out of the theatre. Mine was full of them. I was one of them.

I regret wasting my time and money on this.

4/10

I'll be generous to knock it up to a 5 or 6 if they immeadiately pull the current posters and marketing campaign and do a new one without the lies.

Last edited:
On another note, a lot of independant theaters usually don't ID for films so if you have one in your area that's showing the flick, you might try there.

I love indie theaters. I always feel so much more comfortable there than at the MegaGooglPlex. And, yeah, the one a couple miles (or less) from here doesn't really ID that much, so I probably will go there more, but then again, I doubt they'll be playing the next Judd Apatow flick. :)

I love indie theaters. I always feel so much more comfortable there than at the MegaGooglPlex. And, yeah, the one a couple miles (or less) from here doesn't really ID that much, so I probably will go there more, but then again, I doubt they'll be playing the next Judd Apatow flick. :)

I've never been IDed for movies. Or for booze. Cigs I always get IDed for tho... its weird.

I've never been IDed for movies. Or for booze. Cigs I always get IDed for tho... its weird.

You know what doesn't add up?

They won't let a big group of seventeen-year-olds into Jackass the movie, but they WILL let one nineteen-year-old and a big group of grade-schoolers in.

If my friend hadn't had his fake ID that day we'd have been screwed.

Originally Posted by Planet-man
I hated Pan's Labyrinth. I really did. The commercials, posters, interviews, everything make it seem like it's this beautiful, dark, fantasy adventure that takes place around the war.

In reality, it's a 2+ hour generic war movie with about 15-20 minutes of fantasy.

Complete and utter bull****. If you want to do a movie like that, go right the f*** ahead. But don't market it as a dreamlike fantasy when it isn't one at all, or you're going to get some pretty pissed off people walking out of the theatre. Mine was full of them. I was one of them.

I regret wasting my time and money on this.

4/10

I'll be generous to knock it up to a 5 or 6 if they immeadiately pull the current posters and marketing campaign and do a new one without the lies.

how in the world do you base the quality of a film on it's trailer? stop reading so many spoilers.

You got a job? A checking account w/ check card?

I ask because even though I'm 26 and don't have to worry about such age restrictions like you----I never stand in line for tickets anymore. I either Fandango the tix or more and more I'm seeing ticket kiosks at theaters.

OutdoorKiosks.jpg

You can buy your tickets on those---only it has to be with check/credit card. They might have a "Rated R-No one under 17..." warning but you just hit ok and finish buying your tickets.

I don't order tickets online for the sole reason that a coworker purchased tickets to go see a movie. 2 tickets for i guess 12 bucks. When she went to the booth, she said it printed out 30 tickets for the 10am showing. On top of that, Fandango wouldn't refund the money. So she was stuck with almost 200 bucks worth of tickets.

I don't order tickets online for the sole reason that a coworker purchased tickets to go see a movie. 2 tickets for i guess 12 bucks. When she went to the booth, she said it printed out 30 tickets for the 10am showing. On top of that, Fandango wouldn't refund the money. So she was stuck with almost 200 bucks worth of tickets.

Oh, they would refund the money if you put up enough stink about it. There are people whose jobs it is to take care of stuff like this for someone. My local paper has a lady who does a column where she solves problems people have with companies ripping them off.

how in the world do you base the quality of a film on it's trailer? stop reading so many spoilers.

You know nothing of me.

I am more against spoilers than anyone you'll ever meet. I never, ever read them. That was almost the PROBLEM here. If I'd read spoilers I'd have known that despite what's advertised in the trailers, commercials, posters, etc. the movie actually isn't a fantasy but a war drama, so I either would've gone in knowing that I was going to see a war movie, or simply skipped it, since I have no interest in the Spainish Civil War.

You know nothing of me.

I am more against spoilers than anyone you'll ever meet. I never, ever read them. That was almost the PROBLEM here. If I'd read spoilers I'd have known that despite what's advertised in the trailers, commercials, posters, etc. the movie actually isn't a fantasy but a war drama, so I either would've gone in knowing that I was going to see a war movie, or simply skipped it, since I have no interest in the Spainish Civil War.

I guess you slept in the three tasks and in the end of the movie then. The war is just a secondary plot, nothing, not even the story of the people involved is about it. When you first said it was ****, I tought you WANTED a war movie but didn't get enough.
I still say is the best movie I've seen in 2006/07

I guess you slept in the three tasks and in the end of the movie then.

Those scenes add up to maybe 20 minutes. Twenty minutes out of a 2-Hour movie? Not good enough.

The war is just a secondary plot, nothing, not even the story of the people involved is about it.

Odd that what you call a "secondary plot" takes up about 80% of the film.

Those scenes add up to maybe 20 minutes. Twenty minutes out of a 2-Hour movie? Not good enough.

Odd that what you call a "secondary plot" takes up about 80% of the film.

Exagerating much?
You are counting real world time as war time, it's not really fair to do that. The third task is basically what she did all the movie. The Captain was more of a fantasy villains then a real captain, I mean the story about his father and his son is more inside the fantasy story then the war itself.

Best movie I've seen in 2006/07 the Eye-monster and the Captain were totally badass.

Eye-monster's real name is The Pale Man.

I guess you slept in the three tasks and in the end of the movie then. The war is just a secondary plot, nothing, not even the story of the people involved is about it. When you first said it was ****, I tought you WANTED a war movie but didn't get enough.
I still say is the best movie I've seen in 2006/07

You use "still", UQ. Don't let another person's bad review affect what you thought about it in the first place. :D

I saw this yesterday, and - without having read UQ's post before :wink: - I can safely say that this is far and away my favorite film of 2006. The number of A movies rises to two. :)

i saw this movie yesterday, it was really good, i'm shocked it was directed by the same guy that did Hellboy, but then again Paleman's face had some similarities to Abe Sapien's

I want to see this only because of the great reviews. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but this seems so excellent, plus it's oscar nominated.

Then you'll probably like this as it has deceptively little to do with fantasy.

???

Aside from being a fairytale (which it fits every specification) the whole point of the movie is analyzing our concepts of fantasy and how we use them to cope with life. Be it Ofelia's adventures, the captains idea's about masculinity and dying as a hero for his son, the beliefs the rebels cling too, it's all fantasy in some form or another and the focus is to people's reactions to this. Yeah, maybe there's very little of the blatant fantasy like you would find in Lord of the Rings and such. However, del Toro admited to being heavily influenced by Borges and Algernon Blackwood in making this, and it's EXACTLY the kind and style of fantasy you'll find in their works.

???

Aside from being a fairytale (which it fits every specification) the whole point of the movie is analyzing our concepts of fantasy and how we use them to cope with life. Be it Ofelia's adventures, the captains idea's about masculinity and dying as a hero for his son, the beliefs the rebels cling too, it's all fantasy in some form or another and the focus is to people's reactions to this. Yeah, maybe there's very little of the blatant fantasy like you would find in Lord of the Rings and such. However, del Toro admited to being heavily influenced by Borges and Algernon Blackwood in making this, and it's EXACTLY the kind and style of fantasy you'll find in their works.

Allow me to rephrase.

The movie has deceptively little to do with the Fantasy genre of films, as the term applies. The commercials, however, imply that it does. So I'm saying that MaxwellSmart should be looking forward to the movie even moreso than he already is, because he's "not a fantasy fan". This should suit him perfectly.

I, on the other hand, was expecting an as you say "blatant" fantasy film, as implied by the marketing campaign, and so was very disappointed.

Latest posts

Back