Peter's future with the Ultimates

Blacksword

Fury will have juristiction when he turns 18 but I don't see him pressing Peter into serious action right away. As has been confirmed in Ultimate Nightmare, Fury has a number of enhanced humans stashed away as operatives on call. Given that Peter in no way would be suited to military or paramilitary actions that's the sort of role I see for him under Fury. Especially considering the PR issues around his careerSpider-Man. Spider-Man will never be in the Ultimates, but I see Peter serving as an espionage agent (he did manage to tail Fury unnoticed for quite some time - not an easy feat, especially for someone with no training) used in shadow ops, thiough probably not for anything that requires lethal force, not at first at least. Fury's got more than enough military personnel for those kind of ops. But the more I think about it a SHEILD trained Parker is a pretty sweet concept. Proper trainingin the full use of his abilities is something that as far as I know Spidey never got in 616 and would leave Peter a whole lot more able to handle hislife as Spider-Man. Either way this is a long way off, but hopefully Bendis will be on it still at that point, I'd really love to see what he'd do with it. I'd wager around issue 150 or later given the speed at which time appears to be flowing.

Maybe he will be like Falcon in the respect that he's just on the payroll. That way he can keep his secret identity and keep doing the stuff he is doing... Makes perfect sense to me.

Well, with the talk of Ultimates not continuing past volume 2, we don't even know if there will still be an Ultimates for Peter to join. I presume Fury would still be interested in using Peter in some way, however, even if it was on a limited basis.

UltimateE said that they were going to be Background characters after that... Like just guest appear and star in the mini-series. SHIELD and Fury could very much still hire Peter.

I guess it makes sense. Most of the battles these characters have been involved in have been against other team members. And we still have Thor vs. the Ultimates coming up. Maybe this book doesn't really need to continue past vol. 2. I mean, for being a book based closed to reality, it's not like the Ultimates were desperately needed before the Chitauri invasion. I imagine they'll have their time every once in a while like Ultimate War and Ultimate Six, but a series like Ultimate Nightmare is an example of what to expect from the team after vol. 2. This time, not all the Ultimates will be needed. That seems to be a better fit for them.

I dont know I think that Ultimates will go after Vol. 2 Someone asked what will happen after Vol.2 and he said he doesnt know yet. Most likely it will be some else's baby. Something around those lines. It was on his website.

Well, I only hope, now, that it won't. They are better as supporting characters. We can't dissassemble and reassemble that team every six issues.

Well, with the talk of Ultimates not continuing past volume 2, we don't even know if there will still be an Ultimates for Peter to join

The series may not continue past vol. 2 but the team will always be there.

I can't see Spider-Man in any kind of black ops role - that's just not what he does. If anything he's looking at the famous "reserve member" status and might tag along for bigger missions.

I can't see Spider-Man in any kind of black ops role - that's just not what he does. If anything he's looking at the famous "reserve member" status and might tag along for bigger missions.

I wouldnt mind as long as he still keeps his witty one-liners.

Fury has no real right to out him like that... If Peter does not wish to join the Ultimates, there's really nothing he can do to MAKE him, right? I mean, how hard could it be to turn down the Ultimates when they come a knockin' on your door?

If Peter does not wish to join the Ultimates, there's really nothing he can do to MAKE him, right?

Wrong - Fury has said that since Peter is a genetic mutation he belongs to Fury.

He said it at the end of the Legacy (Return of the Green Goblin arc). I think Spider-Man will decline his offer and become some sort of secondary member.

I think Spider-Man will decline his offer

What I'm saying is that I don't think it's an offer that can be declined.

I agree, it was a draft, not an offer.

As for his role in the Ultimates, I would see him as a sideline member, maybe something like a Liason between the Ultimates and The Fantastic Four. He's going to be hanging out with the young Mr. Storm soon, and with his scientific knowledge he'll be able to participate with the goings on of them.

I really hope that the Ultimate line goes long enough to make it to Pete's 18th, there's a wealth of good stories to be had there.

I know Fury sort of told him he was going to be an Ultimate but I don't think Peter would become a full time member. Like Baxter's idea I think he'll be some kind of sideline member. He'll only be called in when they need him. In Ultimate Six, Fury brought in Peter just because he thought Norman was going to do something to him. The Ultimates could have handled it without Spider-Man.

Fury, never said Peter was going to be an Ultimate, just that SHIELD owned him once he turned 18 due to his altered genetics. What excatly Peter being drafted into SHIELD will mean is entirely up in the air. I doubt we'll ever see him on the public Ultimates team due to all of Spidey's PR problems (then again the cover of Ultiamtes 2 suggests that Wnada and Pietro will be on the public team so who knows) and Peter's need to to keep his family/friends out of the public eye.

As to black ops work, Peter with some proper training and a few years maturity would make an amazing secret operative. Once he started using his brain he managed to nab the security tapes of the biggest Crime boss in New Youk, not bad for a 15 year old. Plus he managed to follow Nick Fury undetected for several blocks without being noticed. He's got the skills, it's just that he's still a kid.

He said he would fight with the big guys. Peter would fight along side Captain America and Iron Man that type of thing... I was under the impression that Spider-Man would start on the frontlines.

I think that Peter would be quite excited to be drafted into The Ultimates, but I don't see him as a member of the team for more than one arc. When he sees some of the underhanded tactics at use within the system, he'd rebel against Fury and tell him to stick it. That could set up a running sub plot where Fury, out of maybe respect for Peter for having the guts to stand up for his own beliefs and because he is a real hero, allows Peter to operate outside of SHIELD just as he always has but occasionaly contacts him for certain missions. Peter would be aware of the possibilities of being locked up by SHIELD, so obliges for these occasions. This also opens the way for team ups that make sense with different members of The Ultimates and also makes it easier to use Peter in the big team-up events. It would be cool to see Spider-Man and The Black Widow being sent on a mission to Latveria, or other such settings.

It would be dumb, if Spider-Man doesn't join and Fury locks him up.
It would be cool to see Spider-Man and The Black Widow being sent on a mission to Latveria, or other such settings.
That would be cool.

Latest posts

Back