Pride of Baghdad Discussion **Spoilers**

Thank you. It's what I do. Bringing people and books together: it's a librarian thing.... :lol:

POST OF THE YEAR
Oh, do you think so? I mean, I've never even made Post of the Day before. :D

I got a chance to look through this book in my local Barnes and Noble over the weekend, and I'm ordering a copy for my library. The gore factor was a lot less than WE3, which we have and, to the best of my knowledge, have received no complaints about (yet). Pride of Baghdad was also mentioned in a workshop I attended last week on graphic novels, and the presenter was very impressed with the title.

This was a great story. I really felt something when they died. This does rival WE3. The dialogue was the strong point. The art was also very beautiful.

Everyone should read this book. Don't ruin the story for yourself by reading this thread or this post just go pick it up. Trust me you will not regret it.

First I want to say thanks to Seldes again for finding a sweet deal for me on amazon.:D I do wish I would have seen Es' post though.:cry:

This is the first graphic novel I've ever bought/read. I've always thought "graphic novel" was just an inflated title for a long comic book. To me it's the same art form with a bigger story.

That said, never have I read a comic/graphic novel with a bigger emotional impact. With every turn of the page I was met with more shocking, gruesome, vulgar, amazing, sad, and thought provoking moments than I could handle. 5 to 10 pages in I had to take a little break to catch my breath. Incredible! This story grabbed me and wouldn't let go. From the escape to freedom untill the shocking and extremly heart breaking ending this story shines in it's own ability to look at what was happining in Iraq from every view point.

I'm so glad I didn't try to figure out the story too much before I bought it. I don't think the story would have been ruined, but the impact of certain moments would have been lessened.

Speaking of certain moments:

Dude the end was just crazy sad. I kind of figuered they weren't going to make it when there was only a couple of pages left but their deaths still shocked me. Driving the point home was the revelation that it was U.S. soldiers. Just nuts!

That bear was one bad mother. Seriosly he could crossover to the Ultimate Universe and be the baddest bad guy ever.:lol:

The gang rape was crazy for me just because I never expected to see something like that. It kind of got me ready for all the other crazy moments to come.

I could go on and on. I really liked the accurate way the lions were depicted, (for example the females doing the hunting) it really added to the realism of the story. BKV did his homework! The art style was a really cool blend of loose, almost scribbled lines and great detail that beautifully depicted the speed, action, drama, and brutal reality.

Last edited:
First I want to say thanks to Seldes again for finding a sweet deal for me on amazon.:D I do wish I would have seen Es' post though.:cry:
You're welcome. I really do spend a lot of time finding books for people, either in my library system or through websites. The reason you didn't see E's link was that he posted it after you had already made your purchase. (However, if you want to buy books in the future, you can just click on any of the Amazon.com links here at UC; any purchases you make should still get UC a small commission, even if you're not buying Ultimate Marvel trades.)

This is the first graphic novel I've ever bought/read. I've always thought "graphic novel" was just an inflated title for a long comic book. To me it's the same art form with a bigger story.
Graphic novels have come a long way from just being collections of previously-published single issue comics. If you're interested in one-shot GNs, try The Courageous Princess, by Rod Espinosa. All of them are self-contained novels. WE3 is the only one that's at all similar to Pride of Baghdad, as I mentioned; the rest of the titles are pretty tame by comparison, although Olympus Heights is both touching and funny, and the other two are charming. If you want a longer list of suggestions, PM me (since I think I've sidetracked this thread enough already. :oops: Sorry, guys...).

(However, if you want to buy books in the future, you can just click on any of the Amazon.com links here at UC; any purchases you make should still get UC a small commission, even if you're not buying Ultimate Marvel trades.)

I tend to forget about Amazon and go straight to ebay. I will keep this in mind for next time. Plus amazon has some good prices and really fast shipping.

Graphic novels have come a long way from just being collections of previously-published single issue comics. If you're interested in one-shot GNs, try The Courageous Princess, by Rod Espinosa. All of them are self-contained novels. WE3 is the only one that's at all similar to Pride of Baghdad, as I mentioned; the rest of the titles are pretty tame by comparison, although Olympus Heights is both touching and funny, and the other two are charming. If you want a longer list of suggestions, PM me (since I think I've sidetracked this thread enough already. :oops: Sorry, guys...).

Cool thanx for the info I'll give these a look:D

I was so close to owning the PoB HC. Here's what happened:

I'm sick today. Being sick I really didn't feel like going out for comics. My mom voluteered to go pick them up for me. I gladly accepted. I told her that there should be four comics in my box, and to pick up four bags and boards. She said she'd call if she had any problems. Later she gets home with the comics, explaining that there was "some hardcover book too". She tried to call, but our phone's been messing up recently.

Now I'm sad.:cry:

I'll just have to settle for next week......

I was so close to owning the PoB HC. Here's what happened:

I'm sick today. Being sick I really didn't feel like going out for comics. My mom voluteered to go pick them up for me. I gladly accepted. I told her that there should be four comics in my box, and to pick up four bags and boards. She said she'd call if she had any problems. Later she gets home with the comics, explaining that there was "some hardcover book too". She tried to call, but our phone's been messing up recently.

Now I'm sad.:cry:

I'll just have to settle for next week......

Dude that sucks, I'm sorry. Look at the bright side it will make it so much sweeter when you get it.

So, I picked this up today. Damn solid read.

If I admit I cried reading this, does that make me not a man?

Got mine in the mail today...wow.

One thing, I'm super pissed that I wasn't paying attention a few days ago and came into this thread and had the ending spoiled. My stupid fault.

But this was too good to be ruined whether I knew the ending ahead of time or not. In fact, the ending was so beautifully executed that it was still a surprise.

I read it all in one sitting but will definitely need to read it again and pick up on all the symbolism and subtlties.

Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

The story is great but it makes you think how you treat the others in the planet. People and animals, war is such an awful thing and it's starting to become normal. It's normal to be in a state of war, that just shouldn't happen.
And the animals, we destroy their homes, capture the little ones to sell as pets, kill them to look nice and enjail them for our pleasure. :(
Zill looking at the sunset, beautiful.

5/5

The story is great but it makes you think how you treat the others in the planet. People and animals, war is such an awful thing and it's starting to become normal. It's normal to be in a state of war, that just shouldn't happen.
And the animals, we destroy their homes, capture the little ones to sell as pets, kill them to look nice and enjail them for our pleasure. :(
Zill looking at the sunset, beautiful.

5/5

Go home hippie. If we don't shoot lions, how are we going to get delicious, succulent lion-burgers?

I think one of the main things people are missing about the story was just who the main characters are.

Were they really the "good guys". I thought it depicted these characters even moreso human than any other story. I didn't feel bad they were starving. I felt a disgust at some of their actions. They were portrayed as animals pretty accurately. But all I hear is "poor lions got killed." I'm not saying they deserve it by anymeans but if anything this story was the perfect example of cycle of life. Kill or be killed and do what you can to survive.

Latest posts

Back